"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Old-Fashioned Homemade Chicken and Dumplings

I cannot take credit for this recipe. All I have done is take a good recipe and make it better suit my preferences. I'm sharing it here because we ate it tonight and it really is good and I wanted others to have access to it
The original recipe comes from here: Old-Fashioned Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe - Yankee Magazine#_

For the Broth
10-12 cups unsalted poultry stock, homemade
4-5 lbs. chicken (whole or in pieces) you need to get about 4 cups meat
1 med. yellow onion, diced
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tbsp. salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the Dumplings
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs, beaten
Finishing the Soup
about 10 cups broth, from above
4 cups bite-sized chicken meat, cooked from above
handful of fresh parsley, chopped fine
4 tbsp. butter (softened) and 4 tbsp. flour kneaded together to make a 'Beurre Manie'

Old 01-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
Master Chef

Good sounding recipe MM. Thanks so much for sharing and putting it in the proper place where we can all find it again. You're a quick study.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks

Tags
chicken, homemade, poultry stock, recipe, whole chicken

Old-Fashioned Homemade Chicken and Dumplings I cannot take credit for this recipe. All I have done is take a good recipe and make it better suit my preferences. I'm sharing it here because we ate it tonight and it really is good and I wanted others to have access to it :chef: The original recipe comes from here: [URL="http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/mothers-old-fashioned-homemade-chicken-and-dumplings"]Old-Fashioned Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe - Yankee Magazine[/URL]#_ [B]For the Broth[/B] 10-12 cups unsalted poultry stock, homemade 4-5 lbs. chicken (whole or in pieces) you need to get about 4 cups meat 1 med. yellow onion, diced 2 bay leaves 1 1/2 tbsp. salt 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper [B]For the Dumplings[/B] 3 cups all-purpose flour 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon table salt 1/2 cup vegetable oil 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water 2 large eggs, beaten [B]Finishing the Soup[/B] about 10 cups broth, from above 4 cups bite-sized chicken meat, cooked from above handful of fresh parsley, chopped fine 4 tbsp. butter (softened) and 4 tbsp. flour [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]kneaded together to make a [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]'Beurre Mani[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][I]e'[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR] 3 stars 1 reviews