Quick 'N Tasty Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made this for supper tonight and it is downright good stuff. It took about an hour total time to make.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. bite sized pieces pork butt, including fat.
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup milk
16 oz. cooked pinto beans

Brown the pork in a soup pan. Season with the salt. Stir every few minutes to make sure all sides are browned. Add the carrot and onions, cover, and cook for ten minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent sticking. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 40 minutes more. Serve with chips, or buttered bread.

The pork is so tender, and adds its own flavor to the soup. The other ingredients, like the pork, don't assert themselves, but rather, add complexity to the soup. The bean flavor is paramount, which is what I was shooting for. Enjoy on a chilly night, like we have tonight. It'll warm your bones.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds good, I love soup season!

When you have time cook a couple of pounds of beans and freeze them in 2 cup containers with some of the broth.

When it's time to make soup pop the frozen beans right into the pot with some stock or water they will thaw in about five minutes!

That sounds good, Chief. It seems like there should be more liquid, though. Am I missing something?

I was in a hurry and so used canned pinto beans. The can liquid, plus the milk, made the soup a little too runny. I had to simmer it for about ten minutes to give the liquid a nice mouth feel.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Is it just me? I always have to rinse any can beans on the very rare occasion that I have used them. Including garbanzos. A couple of times I have opened a can and found the liquid to have a sliminess to it. Like most canned vegetables the beans are overcooked. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom