What are your favourite soups?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto on the Pho (& won ton soup & noodle bowls).

And, Italian wedding soup.

There are so many soups I like. I could go on & on.

Thank you everyone! I love new soup ideas :)

Some new ideas...

(I make this often)
Potsticker soup (potstickers, broth of choice, ginger & stir-fry vegetables)

French Onion Pierogi soup
Beef broth, caramelized onions, potato pierogies, topped w/ melted gruyere or Swiss.

Chicken pot pie soup
Creamy chicken soup, mixed vegetables, & broken pie crust.

Meatball & spaghetti soup

Last edited:
I too enjoy hearty soups.

Beef barley with mushrooms
Black bean
Tom kha
Tom yum
Hot and sour
Sour cream mushroom
Tomato rosemary
Potato leek
Navy Bean
Split pea
Armenian meatball soup with yogurt and mint.

...and my mother's chicken soup with egg and lemon.

Minestrone, Vegetable, Matzoh ball, mushroom barley, spinach / malanga and by far, my favorite is Chinese vegetarian hot and sour soup made specifically by a restaurant near me. Ive been getting it for 20 + years, Ive searched high and low for a recipe even similar, with no success.

I am a Soup Nutzie............

I love most soups, there are rare exceptions...........

I have my Soups and Stews collection to offer; unfortunately, it's 5 MB, much too large to attach........I'll kick it along if you want it... pm me.....

I love all kinds of soup except tomato soup. I love gazpacho, just not hot tomato soup (there is a reason for this). Most of the time, soup is by taste based on the stock I've made. Some of my favorites:

Italian Wedding Soup
Scotch Broth (this you could make--you have access to lots of lamb!)
Turkey-wild rice-black bean
Lentil soups of all kinds
Greek Lemon Soup
Lobster-shrimp bisque
Vegetable soups of all sorts
Kale soup (Recipe Details) - I've made this vegetarian and with the sausage. LOVE it.
Parsley soup with cottage cheese - I've posted this someplace on DC.
Squash-ginger soup
Beer cheese soup
Reuben Soup
Cabbage roll soup
Turkey soup
Quebec-style Pea Soup
Pisole
Chili (all kinds)
sweet and sour soup
Homemade cream of mushroom soup

I'm sure I've forgotten at least a dozen or so. I live on soup in the winter. I often have several kinds in single serving containers in the freezer. I made two kinds this week and have a couple of more I plan on making this weekend, including Italian Wedding Soup.

Thats a great list there CWS. What is Reuben Soup?

I forgot a great soup I had in Jamaica called Pepperpot soup, and a divine one in Peru but no idea what its called, basically a hot spicy one full of seafood, love it when you find something special like that!

Thats a great list there CWS. What is Reuben Soup?

I forgot a great soup I had in Jamaica called Pepperpot soup, and a divine one in Peru but no idea what its called, basically a hot spicy one full of seafood, love it when you find something special like that!
Rueben soup is like a rueben sandwich--corned beef, sauerkraut, grated cheese, dark rye croutons or a slice in the bottom of the bowl, topped with the soup...the recipe is at home. It has been awhile since I made it because it is so not healthy, but it is SOOOO good on a cold winter's day...I can post the recipe when I get home if you like.

I love soups. Strangely i hated them when i was little. I make a lot of very good soups, but my all time favorite is chicken Noodle, or chicken Rice soup. Noodle and rice I always cook separatly, so I can add as much or as little as I want.

Oh my. He had a such a good thig going for him and then he went and added celery, yuk. :rolleyes:

LOL, Charlie. I don't think my Grandma added celery either. Mostly, I think she used leftover Flanken(?), pot roast, or cooked chicken livers. She also served them fried. Wish I had her recipe. Do you have a recipe you like?

Soups I like to make -
chili, Brunswick stew, potato, veggie cheese, peanut
Soups I like to eat but don't make -
tomato, chicken noodle, chicken corn chowder, vegetable beef with barley, egg drop, pasta fagioli, zuppa toscano.

You really should make the zupa Toscano soup. I love it at the Olive Garden, but it was even better when I made it at home. I must look for a recipe for the pasta Fagioli soup. I bet that would be suburb at home too!

I like almost all soups, but I have to say my favorite is French onion.

There is a thread here somewhere GQ that tells how to fill your crock pot with onions for a day and freeze pucks of onions for use later for soup. It works great. I don't remember the name of the thread, but perhaps someone else does??? I think that is the easiest way I have found, and tasty. :yum:

You really should make the zupa Toscano soup. I love it at the Olive Garden, but it was even better when I made it at home. I must look for a recipe for the pasta Fagioli soup. I bet that would be suburb at home too!

I like almost all soups, but I have to say my favorite is French onion.

I make the copycat Olive Garden Pasta y Fagioli, it's really good, and makes a lot.
I too like all different soups, faves I make include:

Black bean wild rice smoked turkey
Split pea with ham
Chicken noodle
Mushroom-wild rice
Chicken corn chowder
Beef barley

Last edited:
LOL, Charlie. I don't think my Grandma added celery either. Mostly, I think she used leftover Flanken(?), pot roast, or cooked chicken livers. She also served them fried. Wish I had her recipe. Do you have a recipe you like?

My recipe is very simular to his. But I use hot water and instead of oil I add margarine or butter. The good part about my dough you can start making creplach right away, it doesn't need to rest. Of course I would not even consider prme rib, crazy. I use soup meat and stew meat mixed together and add fryed onions. Put everything thru meat grinder. Of course you can make any fillings you want.

Turkey's Revenge Soup (8 qts.) is simmering as we "speak"

img_1224741_0_bc4cf1de621194e3bd5c2065fbf55ca5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom