CWS' Corn-Potato Shrimp Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Not really a soup, not really a stew, but closer to a stew than a soup...were is the chowder thread? If you prep the potatoes, celery and onion first, it takes about 25-30 minutes to make this. I did actually measure and pay attention to the time. But, as usual, I was winging it in the kitchen, which is what I usually do.

Corn-Potato-Shrimp Chowder

Ingredients:
5-1/2 c milk
4 c corn kernels (I used frozen from the garden)
6 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
10-12 large shrimp
1-1/2 c shrimp stock (I steam shrimp using 2-3 slices fresh lemon, 1 slice onion, and about 2 T of Zatarains Crawfish, Shrimp and Crab Boil mix—It contains mustard seed, coriander seed, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, dill seed, and allspice—I then strain the water and use that as my “shrimp” stock—you could skip the shrimp stock or use a fish stock instead…I had some frozen shrimp stock that I was going to use, used the water left from steaming the shrimp instead)
1 smallish onion, diced
2-3 stalks celery, diced
2 T butter (if you saute the shrimp, you'll need more butter)
4 T flour
½ tsp nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 slices bacon, crumbled (optional, for topping)
1 medium jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (I used a frozen one—have tons)
2 egg yolks
Equipment: Large stockpot
Directions:
1. Put the milk, corn, and potatoes in a large stockpot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes (until the potatoes are done).
2. Meanwhile, steam the shrimp (if using pre-cooked ones, sauté in butter for about 3-5 minutes). Peel and chop shrimp. Add to stockpot.
3. While the shrimp is steaming, sauté onion and celery. Add to stockpot.
4. Fry (or microwave) bacon. Put between two paper towels and “crush” into bacon bits using a rolling pin or break into pieces.
5. Make a roux of the butter and flour. Add 2-1/2 cup milk. Whisk constantly until it reaches the thickness desired (I made a medium white sauce—depends on how thick you like your chowder. I started with 2 T flour and ended up adding 2 T more)
6. Add white sauce to stock pot.
7. Beat the two egg yolks with ½ c milk. Add a ladleful of milk from stock pot (temper the egg yolks). Stir the yolks into the pot.
8. (The potatoes should be about 75% done at this point). Add the chopped jalepeno pepper (I would have liked to grill the jalapeno to get a layer of “smokiness” to the chowder—next time). Simmer about 5 more minutes. Adjust seasoning—you can add more pepper flakes at this point.
9. Garnish with bacon and chopped Italian parsley, a little bit of grated lemon zest, if desired.
It makes 6-8 servings.

Notes: If you want, you can thicken it by taking some of the mixture and pureeing it, adding it back to the stockpot. I'm going to roast some corn next summer and freeze the kernels. I think this would be great using some roasted corn.

Attachments

• chowder 066.jpg
    chowder 066.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 605
  • chowder 064.jpg
    chowder 064.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
I modified this tonight--added 1 chopped sweet potato, 1 LARGE carrot, 1/4 roasted red pepper. I skipped the milk. Instead I used the veggies (corn, potato, carrot, sweet pootato), blended 1/2 of it to make it thick. The chilpote chili sauce and what I've seen/played with.

Yiummy! That looks realy great.

I modified this tonight--added 1 chopped sweet potato, 1 LARGE carrot, 1/4 roasted red pepper. I skipped the milk. Instead I used the veggies (corn, potato, carrot, sweet pootato), blended 1/2 of it to make it thick. The chilpote chili sauce and what I've seen/played with.

Thank you CW :) This looks and sounds great!
I was just wondering if I could use sweet potato instead of potato before reading this post :LOL:

Thank you CW :) This looks and sounds great!
I was just wondering if I could use sweet potato instead of potato before reading this post :LOL:
I didn't use all sweet potato, but it, and the carrot, added a level of sweetness. The roasted red pepper did as well but it also added the level of smokiness I was missing the first time I made this. I'll see if my friend who is coming over for chowder tonight likes it. I do.

I didn't use all sweet potato, but it, and the carrot, added a level of sweetness. The roasted red pepper did as well but it also added the level of smokiness I was missing the first time I made this. I'll see if my friend who is coming over for chowder tonight likes it. I do.

I'm sure it's lovely :) Our sweet potatoes in SA are barely sweet, not like yours at all. They just have a smoother texture than potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom