"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Stews
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Head Chef

Sweet and Sour Beef Stew - Pressure Cooker

I've made this for years on the stovetop and adapted it to the pressure cooker, which I much prefer. Our daughter asked for the recipe (she has an Instant Pot), so I verified the ingredients and steps when I made it last night.

Sweet and Sour Stew - Pressure Cooker

2 - 3 lbs. stew meat (I prefer chuck roast)
2 - 3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. oil or mix of oil and butter
2 medium onions, cut in large chunks
4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1" pieces
1/2 cup catsup
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. worcestershire
1/2 cup water

egg noodles (cooked)

Cut meat in 1" cubes, trimming excess fat
Dredge meat in flour, brown at least half the meat on all sides in the pressure cooker
Remove meat from pot, deglaze with 1/2 cup water, scraping up any browned bits
Combine catsup, sugar, vinegar, worcestershire, add to pot
Add meat, onions, carrots
Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, allow to release naturally for 15 minutes (if using an electric pressure cooker, turn off, not allowing it to go to keep warm)
Serve over egg noodles, sprinkle with parsley

tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:40 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds tasty, thanks!

Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
Master Chef

Not many recipes I copy these days, but will try this one this week...Thanks.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I am making a stew next week... I will try this recipe..
Thank you, tenspeed..
Ross
Old 01-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have (or want) a pressure cooker but I'm sure I can make this recipe work with the watched pot method.
I'm never happy with my liquid combo and this sounds just right. Thanks TS.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
Head Chef

I've made it in a slow cooker, on the stovetop, and in a pressure cooker, and I like the pressure cooker version the best. When I make it in the IP I brown the meat in a skillet, deglaze the skillet with the water, then add it to the IP. A deglazed skillet is a snap to clean, and the IP is too small for browning this amount of meat in a reasonable time.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you for the recipe.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #8
Master Chef

Looks good! Now that I think about it, my Sauerbraten is actually sweet & sour. Once the thickener is added (ginger snaps) it gets some sweetness in the gravy.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I've made this for years on the stovetop and adapted it to the pressure cooker, which I much prefer. Our daughter asked for the recipe (she has an Instant Pot), so I verified the ingredients and steps when I made it last night.

Sweet and Sour Stew - Pressure Cooker

2 - 3 lbs. stew meat (I prefer chuck roast)
2 - 3 Tbsp. flour
2 Tbsp. oil or mix of oil and butter
2 medium onions, cut in large chunks
4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1" pieces
1/2 cup catsup
4 Tbsp. brown sugar
4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. worcestershire
1/2 cup water

egg noodles (cooked)

Cut meat in 1" cubes, trimming excess fat
Dredge meat in flour, brown at least half the meat on all sides in the pressure cooker
Remove meat from pot, deglaze with 1/2 cup water, scraping up any browned bits
Combine catsup, sugar, vinegar, worcestershire, add to pot
Add meat, onions, carrots
Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, allow to release naturally for 15 minutes (if using an electric pressure cooker, turn off, not allowing it to go to keep warm)

You need at least a cup of water or other thin liquid to get a 6 quart (common size) Instant Pot up to pressure and you should never use flour or any thickener to pressure cook with. Flour thickens water and prevents the pot from pressurizing. Likewise the ketchup will thicken the small amount of water that's in there, possibly preventing the pot from pressurizing. This could cause all of the sugar to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Id suggest doubling the water or use beef broth and thickening the stew after it cooks.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You need at least a cup of water or other thin liquid to get a 6 quart (common size) Instant Pot up to pressure and you should never use flour or any thickener to pressure cook with. Flour thickens water and prevents the pot from pressurizing. Likewise the ketchup will thicken the small amount of water that's in there, possibly preventing the pot from pressurizing. This could cause all of the sugar to burn on the bottom of the pot.

Id suggest doubling the water or use beef broth and thickening the stew after it cooks.
If you add up the amount of liquid in the ingredients (water, vinegar, catsup, and ignoring what is in the carrots and meat ), there is enough liquid to bring the pot up to pressure. I've made this many times, and never had a problem. Worst case scenario is it doesn't come up to pressure, starts burning on the bottom, and the IP generates an error message and stops. I've never seen any tests on the subject, but I doubt that flour changes the boiling point of water (please correct me if you have data showing otherwise).

Here's a pressure cooker recipe from Kenji that has NO water added:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...de-recipe.html

Tags
beef, carrots, cook, onions, pressure cooker, recipe, stew, sweet

Sweet and Sour Beef Stew - Pressure Cooker I've made this for years on the stovetop and adapted it to the pressure cooker, which I much prefer. Our daughter asked for the recipe (she has an Instant Pot), so I verified the ingredients and steps when I made it last night. Sweet and Sour Stew - Pressure Cooker 2 - 3 lbs. stew meat (I prefer chuck roast) 2 - 3 Tbsp. flour 2 Tbsp. oil or mix of oil and butter 2 medium onions, cut in large chunks 4 carrots, peeled and cut in 1" pieces 1/2 cup catsup 4 Tbsp. brown sugar 4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar 1 Tbsp. worcestershire 1/2 cup water egg noodles (cooked) [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Cut meat in 1" cubes, trimming excess fat [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Dredge meat in flour, brown at least half the meat on all sides in the pressure cooker [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Remove meat from pot, deglaze with 1/2 cup water, scraping up any browned bits [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Combine catsup, sugar, vinegar, worcestershire, add to pot [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Add meat, onions, carrots [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes, allow to release naturally for 15 minutes (if using an electric pressure cooker, turn off, not allowing it to go to keep warm) [FONT=Symbol] [/FONT]Serve over egg noodles, sprinkle with parsley 3 stars 1 reviews