Green bean casserole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lopz5805

Assistant Cook
I need a green bean casserole dish made with fresh mushrooms & a roux

Don't see why you can't make the standard "green bean casserole" and add sauteed sliced fresh mushrooms to it.

I just put together my casserole.

1 small can French fried onions, divided
2 (16-oz.) cans French-cut green beans, drained
1 tsp. soy sauce, low-sodium if desired
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 (10 3/4-oz.) can condensed cream of mushroom soup

In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, milk, pepper, and soup. Whisk to blend. Add drained beans and half a can of onions. Mix well. Top with remaining onions. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until hot and bubbly. Serves 4

I see no reason why you couldn't add sauteed mushrooms to the above recipe. I think it would be particularly good. I love mushrooms and would include some in my green bean casserole if I had any. You've given me an idea.

Mine's in the fridge waiting for later. Soy sauce, Katie? Now you've given me an idea.

Sometimes I sub sour cream for some of the milk/condensed soup - gives it a nice tang.

To eliminate the canned cream of mushroom soup and use a roux and mushrooms:

Sauté some shallots and mushrooms in butter until softened and all the liquid has cooked out of the mushrooms.

Meanwhile, make a roux with equal amounts of flour and butter. Melt the butter in a pan and then whisk in the flour. Cook it for several minutes to eliminate the raw flour flavor. Whisk milk or cream into the roux until you reach the desired consistency.

Combine with the cooked mushrooms and shallots. This will substitute for the canned soup.

Traditionally, this mixture is combined with green beans and canned French fried onion rings and baked in a casserole.

I also use some sour cream as part of the mixture.

Back
Top Bottom