"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Casseroles

Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

How to confuse your kids.

Most of you have heard of New England Boiled Dinner. It's a feast in a pot, with potatoes, carrots, beef or venison (at least in our house), onion, cabbage, garlic, and salt and pepper, all swimming in a perfectly seasoned broth. It resembles a soup, but I think is classified as a stew. In any case, it's a staple east of the Mississippi. But what if you take all of those same ingredients, and cook them in a saute' pan, then mix together with some butter, and serve it on a plate instead of a bowl. Then it's more like a hash, but tastes too good to be called that. So, if you enjoy creating a bit of good-natured mischief with your family, just call it dinner. When they ask, "What's for dinner?" Answer them correctly and just say dinner. After all, it is boiled dinner without the boiling part. They'll pester you for a little time while you smile at your private joke. After you've got them going just a bit crazy, you can explain it if you wish. Who knows, they just might like the idea of calling this particular dish "dinner". Then they can use it to confuse their friends and future families. And besides, this meal tastes great.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Curiously enough, here, well east of the Mississippi, it's cooked in flavored water but served dry.

The meat is removed from the water and sliced like a roast. The veggies are removed from the liquid and served separately without broth.

I have seen it on TV served in broth. Interesting how dishes vary regionally.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Master Chef

Dry is how I've always seen it served in NY too Andy, & how I make it myself here in VA (where I've also only seen it served dry). Go figure.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

My heritage calls it Irish Boiled Dinner and we cook it in broth and serve it as Andy said, dry on a plate. But we still call it Boiled Dinner.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Master Chef

To serve in broth then must be a Yooper thing. Yooper Boiled Dinner. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Master Chef

Oh, this brought back some memories. My parents are both from New Hampshire, of French-Canadian descent, and boiled dinners were a real staple. I think my parents both grew up on them almost exclusively (not kidding, neither of my grandmothers could cook, they just threw whatever in a pot and boiled it)(My father bought my mother a cookbook for their wedding, it was that bad!). But I mostly remember when my dad was sent to USAF survival training, and he only got to eat 2 meals a week at home. Thursday and Friday nights. Thursdays we always had New England Boiled Dinner, usually made with beef. Friday evenings we'd have something "fancy", what in most homes would be the Sunday dinner. We were Roman Catholic, and Mom said, to heck with fish, if the only nice meal I'm going to make for the week is on Friday, it will be meat.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Master Chef

Oh, by the way, I have an aunt who always made her New England Boiled dinner with ham and would put parsnips and/or turnips in the mix as well as potatoes, carrots and onions (the latter being what Mom did).
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Mr. Greenjeans

We just had cornedbeef, cabbage and boiled potatoes for dinner. As usual I made twice as much as we love St. Patty's hash later in the week. It is very close to Goodweed's non-hash hash.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

You don't know my kids They want to know exactly whats going on... I to am from the land of Yooper, it's boiled and then served dry... Might be interesting to try it different next time...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

Oops thought the Yooper was dry.....

Tags
None