"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers

Old 04-11-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Which new best slow cooker?

Hello everyone!

I want to buy new slow cooker. Could you tell me your advice, please?

requirement:
- programmable timer
- good tightness
- very slow mode 12hour +
- start timer - not necessary (example: I go to work and the slow cooker automatically star in 3 hours)

I like this - http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1682 Is it good?

Thx for reply!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Master Chef

I don't think it's safe to just leave food out at room temperature for three hours before it slowly starts to cook.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome To DC.

Josie
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Cook

There was one I saw in Williams-Sonoma(sp?) that I thought looked great. The thing I liked the most was being able to take the pot out and brown/cook on the stove then you could put it in the slow cooker.

I wish I would have gotten that one for my wife when I broke hers try'n to make chili. I took the cooker part out and put on the stove to brown the meat, I figured why dirty two dishes. At least all that was in it was some oil, was on elec stove top. Yep, stupid.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Cook

I recently purchased this Rival 6.5 qt. programmable crock-pot. The timer is programmable in half-hour increments, up to 20 hours. When the cooking period finishes, it automatically goes to warm for up to 6 hours. Unlike some newer models, the low setting doesn't seem to be set too high. First thing I did was fill it part way with water and cooked on low for eight hours. After that time the water temperature read about 192*F.

The unit has a few minuses: The outside gets really hot, even when set to low. It has two silicon coated handles, but I still had to use oven mitts when moving it. The outer surface opposite the controls is hotter still. Also, the lid doesn't fit real tight. This isn't an issue for me because I use a liner bag when slow cooking and that makes the cover fit better. Some of the reviews on Amazon indicate that the lid wasn't even close to fitting properly, but that wasn't the case for my unit. I think the lid would be fine even without using a liner bag. Also, the current price on Amazon ($119.99) is $20 higher than when I purchased it two weeks ago.

I bought this unit because it's oval and because it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen in their recent book, Slow Cooker Revolution. In fact, all the recipes in that book were tested with the above crock-pot. I'd recommend buying the book if you decide to buy the crock-pot.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
I like to check ConsumerSearch.com and then check other sites & reviews on items they list

Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget 33967 Review
Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshatdot View Post
I like to check ConsumerSearch.com and then check other sites & reviews on items they list

Hamilton Beach Set 'n Forget 33967 Review
I think it is good slow cooker, but it has one big fault - strange odor.

From one review:
"My wife used the crock-pot twice. During this time, we noticed a funky smell transferred to the food from the crock-pot liner. In addition to smelling bad, my wife's fine cuisine (twice) both had a bad aftertaste. Now, at first... I might have written it off to my wife's cooking; however, I've been around the block a few times and I'm telling you the liner of the crock-pot is the culprit. To see if anyone else has had a similar problem, I googled my concern. Sure enough, there were plenty of people that have had similar experiences with their crock-pot.
On a final note: I've eaten from crock-pots before, and I'm not ready to write them off. I believe it's either the process the manufacture used to cure the pot including the coating [or sealer]. After my wife cooked a second roast, i put my nose up to the pot liner... Yup! It's the liner. Darn. I will purchase another crock-pot; however, I will go to a department store to compare other products up close."

Old 04-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have an experience with Sunbeam?
Also I read in reviews the new croc-pots cook food too fast. Does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by code
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have an experience with Sunbeam?
Also I read in reviews the new croc-pots cook food too fast. Does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks a lot!
I read that back in the day the govmt found the original "low "setting to be too low, so they made manufacturers crank up the temp. I have one from the seventies with a nice low setting, however, had been using it for jewelry and candle making, so it's no longer food safe. IMHO, the newer ones do have too high of a low temp. Love 'em anyway.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Executive Chef

My only addition to this conversation is that you really need to get an oval as opposed to the traditional tube style. It makes such a huge difference in the way your food will cook and also taste. I bought an oval several months ago when my old one died and I must say I am completely satisfied with it. I can put a whole chicken in it, roasts, anything larger and nothing is crammed or stacked .. just a wonderful thing !

Tags
other, slow cooker new selection