Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gayle

Assistant Cook
Are you tired of newbies, yet? Well, another one just wandered in off the street! I was, actually, looking for a recipe and accidentally stumbled across this forum. I liked what I saw, so I joined.

I am a member of a lot of boards, mostly homesteading and conspiracy stuff, but I usually hang out on their cooking forums. It's nice to find a whole board about cooking!

I'm an old bag - mother of 7 kids, two grown, and 5 teenagers, who think they're grown. I've been cooking for years and years and used to run a restaurant, as well as running the kitchen at a karate camp, during the summer. That was good practice for having 5 teenagers at once.

We live on a farm, and grow most of our own food. This is the harvest season here, so I'm pretty busy putting food up for the winter. I mostly dehydrate because it's easier and I can store more food in a smaller space.

Anyway, before I write a book, I just wanted to say 'Hi' to everyone. I look forward to getting to know all of you and, maybe, share some recipes.

Welcome to DC!

That's a big family! Soon you may be a grandmother. Are you excited?

I'm already a grandmother! I have an almost-8-year-old grandson. He spends almost every weekend with me. He enjoys cooking, too, as do all of my kids. His favorite thing to do is knead bread. He's small for his age and has to stand on a chair to reach it.

I forgot to mention, I have 2 step-daughters, as well. We're kid-rich, for sure.

Hi Gayle from one grandma to the other:) Glad to have some more company here on DC..A big welcome to you.

kadesma

Gayle said:
I'm already a grandmother! I have an almost-8-year-old grandson. He spends almost every weekend with me. He enjoys cooking, too, as do all of my kids. His favorite thing to do is knead bread. He's small for his age and has to stand on a chair to reach it.

I forgot to mention, I have 2 step-daughters, as well. We're kid-rich, for sure.

Very cool.
I have a grandmother :)
I've been cooking for a long time, just like your grandson will :)

goodness, I have one 15 year old boy. Is it true that labor becomes easier the more times you go through it ??? I almost fainted the one time I watched my wife go through it. I even had to walk out into the fresh air of outdoors to stop the world from spinning. I'd rather be skinned alive than to give birth. I felt soooo guilty, watching her go through it.
I bet you have lots of fast and filling ways for feeding a crowd !!!

Welcome, I hope you can make time to post. I'm the village idiot
All the best,
Robert

Gayle, Welcome to the family!
My goodness you are a busy one! What a rewarding experience it must be to live on a farm and grow so much of your own food. I cannot wait to see some of your recipes!

Robert, I'm so often the village idiot on forums, it's nice not to have those shoes to fill!

Yes, labor does tend to come easier with each additional child. The 4th and 5th ones were so easy the nurses were asking each other if I was really in labor. Both were delivered in less than an hour, with no pain (I learned a secret) I was ready to go home after a short nap. (the 6th and 7th were premature twins, delivered by c-section, so that was a little rougher. I was in for 3 days that time, but just to wait to have my staples out.)

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome! Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, but it's harvest season and I've been canning and dehydrating my little heart out. I have squash, okra, tomatoes, habaneros, and watermelon in the dehydrators right now, with lots of stuff waiting it's turn. Apples and grapes are just about ready to do something with, as well. The larder will, definitely, be full!

Gayle, I miss the farm I grew up on. We always aspired to live the life you live. It's comforting to hear it exists.

Welcome to DC Gayle!! Sounds like you are already accustomed to a big, cheery, hungry family... then you will fit right in here!! Hope you will enjoy this site just as much as all of us do!:)

jpmcgrew said:
:) Welcome Gayle! Where are you from?
I live in eastern Kentucky (I updated my profile), but am originally from Michigan. I've been here 14 years.

Boy, it doesn't seem that long...

Back
Top Bottom