"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Another Newbie

Are you tired of newbies, yet? Well, another one just wandered in off the street! I was, actually, looking for a recipe and accidentally stumbled across this forum. I liked what I saw, so I joined.

I am a member of a lot of boards, mostly homesteading and conspiracy stuff, but I usually hang out on their cooking forums. It's nice to find a whole board about cooking!

I'm an old bag - mother of 7 kids, two grown, and 5 teenagers, who think they're grown. I've been cooking for years and years and used to run a restaurant, as well as running the kitchen at a karate camp, during the summer. That was good practice for having 5 teenagers at once.

We live on a farm, and grow most of our own food. This is the harvest season here, so I'm pretty busy putting food up for the winter. I mostly dehydrate because it's easier and I can store more food in a smaller space.

Anyway, before I write a book, I just wanted to say 'Hi' to everyone. I look forward to getting to know all of you and, maybe, share some recipes.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Welcome to DC!

That's a big family! Soon you may be a grandmother. Are you excited?

Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'm already a grandmother! I have an almost-8-year-old grandson. He spends almost every weekend with me. He enjoys cooking, too, as do all of my kids. His favorite thing to do is knead bread. He's small for his age and has to stand on a chair to reach it.

I forgot to mention, I have 2 step-daughters, as well. We're kid-rich, for sure.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Gayle from one grandma to the other Glad to have some more company here on DC..A big welcome to you.

kadesma
Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome o the DC Community. I would LOVE to talk conspiracy theorys w/ you one day! Behold the Pale horse!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I'm already a grandmother! I have an almost-8-year-old grandson. He spends almost every weekend with me. He enjoys cooking, too, as do all of my kids. His favorite thing to do is knead bread. He's small for his age and has to stand on a chair to reach it.

I forgot to mention, I have 2 step-daughters, as well. We're kid-rich, for sure.

Very cool.
I have a grandmother :)
I've been cooking for a long time, just like your grandson will :)
Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Senior Cook

goodness, I have one 15 year old boy. Is it true that labor becomes easier the more times you go through it ??? I almost fainted the one time I watched my wife go through it. I even had to walk out into the fresh air of outdoors to stop the world from spinning. I'd rather be skinned alive than to give birth. I felt soooo guilty, watching her go through it.
I bet you have lots of fast and filling ways for feeding a crowd !!!

Welcome, I hope you can make time to post. I'm the village idiot
All the best,
Robert
Old 09-03-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Hi Gayle, welcome to the community!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Gayle, Welcome to the family!
My goodness you are a busy one! What a rewarding experience it must be to live on a farm and grow so much of your own food. I cannot wait to see some of your recipes!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Robert, I'm so often the village idiot on forums, it's nice not to have those shoes to fill!

Yes, labor does tend to come easier with each additional child. The 4th and 5th ones were so easy the nurses were asking each other if I was really in labor. Both were delivered in less than an hour, with no pain (I learned a secret) I was ready to go home after a short nap. (the 6th and 7th were premature twins, delivered by c-section, so that was a little rougher. I was in for 3 days that time, but just to wait to have my staples out.)

Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome! Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner, but it's harvest season and I've been canning and dehydrating my little heart out. I have squash, okra, tomatoes, habaneros, and watermelon in the dehydrators right now, with lots of stuff waiting it's turn. Apples and grapes are just about ready to do something with, as well. The larder will, definitely, be full!

« Hi everyone | Hi »