"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Personally, I like estate sales. While it's true, people have different tastes, there are some quality bargains to be found. Put in your zip code and check out what's in your area.

Estate Sales in California (Tag Sale)

Old 06-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Personally, I like estate sales. While it's true, people have different tastes, there are some quality bargains to be found. Put in your zip code and check out what's in your area.

Estate Sales in California (Tag Sale)
Great idea Whista........I'll be keeping that link.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Thanks for the idea Whiskey. I may consider that.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #44
Executive Chef

A few more details about my move:

My first day shopping for cleaning supplies at Walmart I spotted a Hamilton Beach 1000 watt microwave on sale for $65. I've got both Cuisinart and HB immersion blenders and like the HB better, so I got the microwave and it's great! I don't know why anybody would pay more than $65 for a microwave...

I have so many things on my punch list that I decided to accelerate the couch/chair thing quick and dirty: At Goodwill I bought a funky couch for $65 and a somewhat less funky upholstered chair for $35. The chair is okay (although a bit ugly), the couch is going to need some kind of cover. I checked BBB and a nice cover is about $150, scratch that. I'll try Target tomorrow. If they have no cheapo solutions I'll just make my own cover from the queen sheets from the trailer, they're fairly new and don't fit my king, so I can just cut and safety pin to get an acceptable solution for a few months. Renting was going to start at $150/month with a 3 month minimum rental contract. Yeah, duh.

I bought about a dozen+ chili plants, tomato plants, squash & zucchini. Have yet to figure out where to plant them.

The neighbors are nice, particularly the family to the west. The guy across the street introduced himself and asked me to quit parking in front of his house. There is no parking on my side of the street. Uh... He wanted me to park up the block. I'm still parking my pick-up across the street when I need to. Now I know who the neighborhood jerk is.

Only one of the burners on the cook top lights itself. Two of them won't light when I get the igniter going on a burner where the igniter works. The electric oven works but the broiler doesn't.

Oh and I'm growing a beard, not because I want one but because I haven't had time to shave. Running dawn to dusk (and then some, still working now and haven't had dinner yet, now 7:30 p.m. local) but expect to shave before next date with GF. I'm beginning to look like my avatar. I sure wish I knew where to get the hat...
Old 06-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Oh and I love the fridge! (Maytag) French style, two doors, two drawers. Coming from a trailer fridge (a little larger than a bar fridge) it's maybe twice the volume of my fridge at the old house. Ice water and cubes or crushed ice in the door of course. Do they make GPS units that work in a fridge???
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Senior Cook

The neighbor sounds like you're going to have some upcoming problems. People think they own the street. We have a neighbor who picks up every leaf in his yard every moment of the day. I live on a deadend street that is lined with sycamore trees that were planted in 1924 so there's a lot of leaves coming down all the time. He freaks out if any of our leaves from our maple trees go into his yard. We keep hoping he moves soon. He is up there in age, born in 1928 and his wife isn't all that healthy either but he's hanging on. I could never figure out why people move to the country if they don't like what the country life has to offer.

We decided to hold off on a camper. We are less then 4 years of paying off our house so we are just going to wait until then.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Most of the '28 models are expiring soon. Last house I had an AH neighbor who poured herbicide on my fledgeling aspens along the back of my yard (presumably because he didn't want aspen leaves in his swimming pool). The AH died several years later (two decades ago) and the new neighbor drained the pool and left it empty ever after.

The moral of the story is that you can outlast them. My new house has neighbors on either side, and HOA commons behind, wide enough to never know my neighbors behind. The neighbors on my west seem very nice and friendly, the neighbors on the east seem quiet and reserved. The AH across the street can go stuff it. No parking on my side and the closest public parking is in front of his house, room for about 4 vehicles.

I'll make room when I can but I own two vehicles, and I have two spots in my driveway to park. My garage is full of moving stuff and when GF comes over I insist that she has reserved parking in my driveway. So the truck goes on the street if GF is visiting.

Neighbor should learn to deal with it. Neighbor should come to reality and understand that there is no reserved parking on public streets.

I'm selling the truck in a month or two (just after I sell my 5th wheel trailer, gotta get rid of the trailer before the puller so I won't lose the ability to move it). By then (several weeks from now) I'll have my garage cleared out and my stuff moved in, and my driveway will have plenty of off-street parking for my guests. I vastly prefer parking my 4Runner in my garage when I'm home, to keep it clean. And it confuses the heck out of potential burglars to not know when you're home.

I hope the AH across the street will just adhere to being reasonable. We all own the public commons...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #48
Executive Chef

We had a neighbor who parked his boat on the street. When he would go off fishing, he would expect everyone to leave his space vacant for him. We were having a bbq one time and some of my guests parked in front of his house (public street, public parking). His wife called over the back fence while we were grilling and visiting and told us that her husband will be home soon with the boat and that someone had better move their car right now or she would call the cops. I told her that we would move the car after we were done eating and then her husband could park his damn boat. Well, she called the cops, and I am sure they told her that it is a public street, and that as long as the car had current plates, that it could park there. Well, next thing ya know, the cop is knocking on the front door asking for me. I went to the door and he said that I needed to show identification because the neighbor said that I was harassing her! Long story short...we extended the party longer than originally planned, and he had to park the boat a block away and wait until our guests left our house. That was not the only run-in with these neighbors.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Good story Chopper!

I'm pretty sure you aren't another Chopper I once knew on the Internet who gave me some Thai recipes. If you are please PM me. Otherwise, just another popular Internet name. (Are you a biker or are you a chef? Either applies.)
Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Greg just treat the horse's arss across the street with lots of smiles. I firmly believe in "Love your enemy, it will drive him crazy." A lot of smiles with an "I understand how you feel." Just agree with everything he says and then go on your way. It is so hard to argue with a happy person who won't argue back.