"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Greetings and salutations

I'm not exactly a new member but i have not been here in a long long time... so i thought i would say hello again. I have decided to attempt a project while trying to lose weight... and I think I am going to need you guys help cause I am going to have lots and lots and lots of questions.

I am an ok cook, I can do alot of stuff in the kitchen but most of the time I can not repeat anything because I am winging it lol and I don't ever write anything down. I have been trying to lose weight for some time and last year I decided after watching (DONT YOU DARE LAUGH) Julie and Julia I would attempt something like that... kinda... I wanted it to be something more healthy, but also something that would teach me something.

I absolutly love Gordon Ramsay... so I found his healthy cook book and decided to try it out...
Do you folks think this might be too hard a book to start out with? Let me know... thanks :)

www.DouglasMB.Wordpress.com
DouglasMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Head Chef

Hi Douglas,
Welcome to DC.

Josie

Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I would suggest that you head for your public library and go to the cookbook section. Take home a couple of cookbooks on weight loss. Look through them and if there are any recipes that look interesting and doable to you, start your own cookbook on your computer and enter them.

Put the recipes into separate files. A file for breakfast, lunch and supper. A separate one for desserts. Dont forget to add any information such as calorie count and other notes that are in the book. Then after you try the recipe, you can go back and add your own notes. Too bland, too difficult, too many ingredients, very tasty, worth making again, etc. Search the internet for dietary recipes. Add ones that interest you to your computer file cookcook. Don't confine yourself to just one cookbook in the library. There are just too many really good ones out there to puruse. And good luck. By using this method you will save yourself a ton of $$$ in not buying and spending money on books that may be of no use to you in the end.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome back!

One of the things that has come out of my association with DC is to write down the ingredients of anything "new" I make. I too, love to wing it.

I now have a large notebook of favorite recipes.

Each time I make that recipe, I make notes of changes, and comment about how they turned out, what worked, what didn't, and ideas for improvement.

It comes in handy when I do make something that gets that WOW response, and I can repeat it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Doug and welcome back to DC
Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Master Chef

Welcome back!

I go to the library and take out recipe books then just copy the recipes I like. Like Addie said, it saves heaps of money! I've got cookbooks at home but I hardly use them.
I find Gordon Ramsay's recipes easy to follow so if you like his food it's worth trying.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would suggest that you head for your public library and go to the cookbook section. Take home a couple of cookbooks on weight loss. Look through them and if there are any recipes that look interesting and doable to you, start your own cookbook on your computer and enter them.

Put the recipes into separate files. A file for breakfast, lunch and supper. A separate one for desserts. Dont forget to add any information such as calorie count and other notes that are in the book. Then after you try the recipe, you can go back and add your own notes. Too bland, too difficult, too many ingredients, very tasty, worth making again, etc. Search the internet for dietary recipes. Add ones that interest you to your computer file cookcook. Don't confine yourself to just one cookbook in the library. There are just too many really good ones out there to puruse. And good luck. By using this method you will save yourself a ton of $$$ in not buying and spending money on books that may be of no use to you in the end.
thank you for the great advice Addie... I really don't need the library for a cook book section though... I probably have more cookbooks than most 5 houses combined lol I used to go to estate sales and buy boxes of books for 1 and 2 dollars... my grandmother gave me all of her cookbooks when my grandfather passed away, and when my wifes grandparents passed we got theirs as well. If I had to put a number on it I would say I probably have about 125 cookbooks... just an estimate mind you...

i chose that book because i respect his ability and i wanted something that would challenge me... but something that was going to be good for me too... I do love your ideas though... maybe after this adventure I will do just what you said :) Thank you

Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

my inspiration comming from that movie was more of watching her make things that were foreign to her and hard... having to learn these things and then sharing them with her friends and family... be it good or bad lol I think I am going to enjoy the adventure I am already learning things... lol like what a poussin is lol

Old 02-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Cook

Hello! Welcome back :)
Old 02-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #10
Executive Chef

hi douglas, what do you like most about ramsay, comedy, order, people, writing, dmb? :)

« Hiya from PA | Hi »