"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Not to worry Hayate. There are many here who only speak one language (English, sort of) and many times, we don't do it particularly well at that. I admire anyone who even can get by with speaking more than one language.
WELCOME !!
And then there's English English and the American English. Someone, no-one seems to know who, once described The US and the UK as "two countries divided by a common language". It got me into trouble a few times when I first joined DC and occasionally I still think "What the...."

If you don't understand something just ask. We won't mind.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayate View Post
Hello everybody,
My name is Hayate and I'm from France. I'm here because, like all of you, i love cooking and particularly make pastries.

I registered here, on an english forum because i'd like speak english better.
I'm sorry for the "level of language" and know that it is difficult de read bad English, with many mistakes. In France, one says that it "sting the eyes" !
Feel free to correct me, it will be a pleasure for me

So, I do a lot of cakes but my dream is to suceed macaroons. I tried to do it 4 times, but it was 4 times a failure..

Eager to share with you :)
It is nice to meet you. I have been wanting to learn French for many years now.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:05 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
And then there's English English and the American English. Someone, no-one seems to know who, once described The US and the UK as "two countries divided by a common language". It got me into trouble a few times when I first joined DC and occasionally I still think "What the...."

If you don't understand something just ask. We won't mind.
I see you are in North West England. My late mother and grandmother were from Manchester, England. I was born at Burtonwood Air Force Base in Warrington, England. I agree that the King's English is far better than our American English.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Bienvenue ŗ toi sur ce joli forum :)
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlene B. Heed View Post
I see you are in North West England. My late mother and grandmother were from Manchester, England. I was born at Burtonwood Air Force Base in Warrington, England. I agree that the King's English is far better than our American English.
A belated welcome to DC

Not really. The two forms have just developed in different directions in the last 400 years or so. I used to teach english and history so the development of language interests me. A lot of American-isms hark back to an earlier meanings of english words, such as "mad" for "angry". It hung on here as dialect or slang in some areas but seems to have re-entered English english in the 20thC probably due to the "talkies". We have a lot of American slang as well - mostly due to TV and films but some picked up from contact with Americans during their service here.

I suppose your Mother was a GI Bride Do you remember much about England or did you go back to the US before you were old enough to take notice?

I live in Marple which is about 4 miles from Stockport and 10 miles south-east of Manchester.

Burtonwood finally closed down in the 1990s. There is a "heritage centre" there now

https://www.gulliversfun.co.uk/warri...age-centre.htm

and there is a Burtonwood Association mainly aimed at Rf and USAF service personnel who served there.

Home

This is a local history link about Burtonwood which might interest you

BBC - Liverpool Local History - The American Connection - Introduction to Burtonwood
Old 08-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #17
Head Chef

Welcome glad you could join us.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

My bridesmaid at my wedding to my first husband was the daughter of an English bride. He mother didn't want her family to lose their heritage to England, so she went back to England to have her first child. The family remained friends right up to my husbands death. They often shared stories on England before the war.

Like England, most of our soldiers and other servicemen who served in WWII, are slowly leaving us. But they brought back so many stories of how the English welcomed them and made them feel right at home. For that, America owes England a huge "Thank You."

Tags
france