"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello out there.

My name is Sylvia, I live in Arizona but I was born & raised in Canada. At first I had a hard time to convert temperatures but now I just look them up online or use the calculator one of my sisters gave me on my last visit home, lol.

I'm a housewife and step mom to two and step grandma to two. All of which lives in another State, so it's just hubby and I that I cook for. He's pretty picky, we've been married 8 years and I'm still learning what he likes and doesn't like.

I've been looking around the web for dish ideas for pork and chicken, he likes how I cook chicken breast, I use extra virgin olive oil along with honey for flavoring...and some spices, pork chops are pretty much the same way...pork roast I make in the slow cooker/crock pot, but I've only made a whole roasted chicken once and a whole roasted turkey once so this is all new to me again. But thanks for having me, any questions just hollar.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Master Chef

My very favorite recommendation for those who are new to roasting an entire bird is to fill the cavity with pierced lemons and a whole head of broken up (don't need to peel) garlic. Roast according to any recipe for a whole chicken. Throw away the lemons, but use the garlic to spread on a crusty bread. You'd be amazed at how mild all that garlic becomes. I like it with a cucumber salad and couscous. After decades, this is still my "go to" preparation for an entire bird and everyone loves it.

Welcome to DC and the USA.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Master Chef

Hi Sylvia, welcome to DC.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

thanks folks!

My roasted chicken turned out good and hubby loved that it wasn't dry, I made it from memory from when my Mom first told me, I just had to verify the temp and time with one of my sisters. Today I'm making my very first pot of Chicken Soup in the crock pot/slow cooker...using my mom's recipe for dumplings, if I can't find it I'm come scouring the boards for a recipe here...I know it's just simple but I've never made them without my Mom's help before and she's at dialysis today so I'm on my own again, lol.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear your mom's going through this, and you. Having the soup with dumplings ready when she's up to eating will be very nice.

My grandma's dumpling recipe (that she'd add to soup) is:

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c milk
4 tsp baking powder
1 beaten FRESH egg (okay to use store-bought)

Directions:
1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the wet ingredients and mix with the dry until the mixture is moist.
3. Drop (she used to use a soup spoon) on top of the soup.
4. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.

Now that it is "soup season," I'm going to have to add my grandma's dumplings! Thanks for reminding me of how comforting homemade soup with dumplings can be.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Sorry to hear your mom's going through this, and you. Having the soup with dumplings ready when she's up to eating will be very nice.

My grandma's dumpling recipe (that she'd add to soup) is:

2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c milk
4 tsp baking powder
1 beaten FRESH egg (okay to use store-bought)

Directions:
1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the wet ingredients and mix with the dry until the mixture is moist.
3. Drop (she used to use a soup spoon) on top of the soup.
4. Cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes.

Now that it is "soup season," I'm going to have to add my grandma's dumplings! Thanks for reminding me of how comforting homemade soup with dumplings can be.

Thank you so much, that's exactly the same ingredients my mom uses. I'd love for my Mom to have some but she's up in Manitoba, Canada and I'm down here in Arizona, USA...but we're hoping for her to make a trip in about a year after we get things sorted out with dialysis treatments down here for her....alot of planning and alot of saving...I don't know how people manage without health insurance...sorry a bit off topic but I will be sure to make it for her when she does finally get to visit.

SylviaB
Old 10-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC, Sylvia! Lots of great folks and great advice here!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

My chicken soup with dumplings was a big success and a big hit with my hubby and my cleaning lady who was here today and stayed for a bowl after she wrapped up with my dusting.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

btw, I cut the top of my fingernail off (the area that you paint with nail polish) on Tuesday while peeling potatoes with my Oxo peeler, please be careful, those ones are extremely sharp. It bled a while but I soon fixed it up, it's healing and does smart at times but no big worries about it, I've been through worse, LOL. But here I was scared to knick a knuckle or two, lol.

Note to self: The smoke alarm should not be used as a food timer while cooking dinner.
sylviab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviab
My chicken soup with dumplings was a big success and a big hit with my hubby and my cleaning lady who was here today and stayed for a bowl after she wrapped up with my dusting.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

btw, I cut the top of my fingernail off (the area that you paint with nail polish) on Tuesday while peeling potatoes with my Oxo peeler, please be careful, those ones are extremely sharp. It bled a while but I soon fixed it up, it's healing and does smart at times but no big worries about it, I've been through worse, LOL. But here I was scared to knick a knuckle or two, lol.
Aha! Secret ingredient!

Yes, they are sharp. Glad you're OK, Sylvia!