"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #51
Everymom

June, are you in NY/NJ too?

Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Oh is she Alix! Joisey City. She doesn't know it yet, but one of these days her and Julia Childs cat might find a short, rotund, bald headed man knocking on their door . All I've seen of NYC was in 1967 when I had an hour layover at Penn Station and got to walk around the block.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #53
Everymom

LOL, thanks BJ. And I asked because my sister lives in Roebling. I want to visit her again soon (when I can afford it ), so maybe I will be able to meet some more new friends while I'm at it.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #54
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I have to say..... I think these folks are really nice. And Im afraid we scarred them away. No reason to knock them. We (I) have open arms and until they cause trouble, there is no need to question hardly on where they came from or why. Let them enjoy the site.
You all know from 2002 that Ive been here and watched people come..... and go. And I hope you remember that I am VERRRRRRY upset when folks act like jerks. These people have not even had the CHANCE!
Let them be guys. If they decide to do "dumb" things THEN dish it out.

Personally Im disappointed in our hospitality in this instance.

For the new folks...... WELCOME!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Thank you Deadly Sushi. I fully understand the trepidation of some of the members and do not hold it against them in the least. You'll probably see cjs [Jean] call me Pollyanna because I always try to see the positive side of things...that's only one of the names she calls me . So far, I couldn't have had a warmer welcome and any friendlier exchanges. Another day or two and you'll need a crowbar to budge me! I can see the warm family here in DC and I WANT IN .

I love your name DEADLY SUSHI. My ship in the Navy stopped in Okinawa while we were on cruise and one of the officers took several of us to a Japanese restaurant. We were the only non-Japanese in the place and he was the only one that spoke Japanese. He told us to look at the bank of shaved ice behind the counter and pick out what we wanted to eat..these fish, shrimp, etc., were still flipping and trying to crawl around. I saw this lovely yellow fish that looked like it was practicing for the olympics and chose it. Then as was my want, I began chattering at the Japanese gentlemen on either side of me, not knowing if they understood a word or not. Pretty soon this platter with various bowls on and around it was deposited in front of me with this gorgeous yellow(ish) fish in the center...eyeballs and all. That was ok, you know the old "when in Rome," saying. I had chopsticks and a spoon. There was this delicious kind of seaweedy looking soup that was quite..uh different, kind of sourish...oh well, I ate it and next to it was whole kernel corn...now how am I going to manage that? The two Japanese gentlemen were having the time of their life watching me. I finally managed to shove the corn into the spoon with my chopsticks...Now, for that lovely fish. I began picking at it and finally got a good sized bite..oh, it was superb. I ate some more of it and then noticed this blacky-brownish stuff on my chopsticks. I was peering at it from all directions and the Japanese men were dying laughing. It was the fish guts! They hadn't cleaned it..it had gone from the ice straight onto the grill [oh PETA where are you? At least whack it first.] Finally one of the Japanese took my chopsticks and called for a clean set and showed me how to eat it without getting any of the guts...I gave them the eyeballs! Had a wonderful time with those two guys and neither of us understood a word the other was saying.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #56
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
BJcotton, how old are you if ya dont mind me asking?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
He is 29 :)
Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 AM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
He is 29 :)
Yeah, same as last year.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:30 AM   #59
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
LOL and for the last 20 years but you know :)
Old 08-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #60
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
LOL, thanks BJ. And I asked because my sister lives in Roebling. I want to visit her again soon (when I can afford it ), so maybe I will be able to meet some more new friends while I'm at it.
Well, I love company, even if Julia Child Kitty has a different concept of the word.... Just let me know when you'll be in town!

DS: we don't scare easily. The curiosity was natural. Our arrival must've seemed like an invasion of sorts... and "the troops" are still dribbling in! Anybody seen Scotty?????