"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #41
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do not think it is any of our business what people who join the forum eat. we are not into medical advises here, we're here to share recipes and cooking tips.
Exactly, CharlieD...we are here for food, fun and information. I enjoy making vegan meals every once in a while and pride myself on doing a good job. While I'm NOT vegan, I have been using more vegetables, rice and beans and making fewer meat purchases. All part of eating healthier and trying to get myself in shape.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Hey! Of course vegan foodies would be welcome... Vegan food is still food, right? ;) And food in it's purest form...
I'm always looking for new vegan meal ideas, as I've decided to go into more of the vegetarian lifestyle myself as of lately...
Any good meal ideas?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Exactly, CharlieD...we are here for food, fun and information. I enjoy making vegan meals every once in a while and pride myself on doing a good job. While I'm NOT vegan, I have been using more vegetables, rice and beans and making fewer meat purchases. All part of eating healthier and trying to get myself in shape.
Well said! This is the way I feel right now too. And I do well for awhile, then the urge to bake some Cinnabons hits. I guess I could have one, and then bring the rest in to work. And more recipes FTF!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

Greetings all,

I thought I'd piggy back on this. I too am a vegetarian (have been for a long time). I cook meat for entertainment purposes though (Family/Friends).

If people are willing I'd love to share some vegetarian recipes and not so vegetarian recipes. This forum looks like a lovely place.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagout77 View Post
If people are willing I'd love to share some vegetarian recipes and not so vegetarian recipes. This forum looks like a lovely place.
Please do!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Well said! This is the way I feel right now too. And I do well for awhile, then the urge to bake some Cinnabons hits. I guess I could have one, and then bring the rest in to work. And more recipes FTF!
I'm well known for baking 12 types of cookies, all in one day and not eating a single one...but they love me at work!

All this talk about vegan cooking and I'm ready to head to the store for ideas...I'm thinking a vegan lasagna would be really good tonight!
Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

Here is a really easy one pot meal (well two for the brown rice but I usually cook brown rice in rice cooker or oven).

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
1 medium onion (diced)
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Salt
1 cup small red lentils
3 cups water
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 400g tin tomatoes chopped
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 Lemon
440g Canned Pineapple Pieces (in natural juice)

This works best in a wok but a large sauce pan will work. Use oil to fry onion and garlic for 2 mins. Then drop in the pineapple until it slightly caramelizes and the onion is translucent. Add curry powder and salt and let stew for a few seconds before adding the lentils. Stir the lentils for about a min before adding the water. Add water, cinnamon and bay. Bring entire mixture to a boil and stir occasionally. Let simmer for 20 mins at which point you add the tomatoes and allow to cook at a simmer for 10 more mins. At this point the Dal should be able to pour but not soupy. Add the lemon juice and coconut milk and remove from heat. Serve over brown rice and top each serving with a slice of lemon.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #48
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
All this talk about vegan cooking and I'm ready to head to the store for ideas...I'm thinking a vegan lasagna would be really good tonight!
I have made 2 kinds before... one with mushrroms, onions, , garlic, and peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange). saute mushrooms in some OO then add the rest to saute a bit... layer with the nooldles and with shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone,and sliced whole milk mozerella. I use fresh basil, oregano and thyme when I can.

The other is the same but uses zuchinin and yellow squash and onions.

Also - FYI another post - both soy beans and Quinoa are considered to be complete proteins.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #49
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I have made 2 kinds before... one with mushrroms, onions, , garlic, and peppers (green, red, yellow, and orange). saute mushrooms in some OO then add the rest to saute a bit... layer with the nooldles and with shredded mozzarella, sliced provolone,and sliced whole milk mozerella. I use fresh basil, oregano and thyme when I can.

The other is the same but uses zuchinin and yellow squash and onions.

Also - FYI another post - both soy beans and Quinoa are considered to be complete proteins.
I also layer a white sauce with shredded carrots...I'm also partial to thin sliced broccoli and spinach in my lasagna. So many good veggies, so little room in the pan.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #50
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I also layer a white sauce with shredded carrots...I'm also partial to thin sliced broccoli and spinach in my lasagna. So many good veggies, so little room in the pan.
I have tried broccoli but I didnt like the texture of it in the lasagana. O hadn't thought of spinach, which is silly since I use it in my stuffed shells.