"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Smile New member looking for some good pizza dough. ;)

Hi everyone! I am new here and I recently started baking bread and taught myself how to make homemade pasta. I have a lot to learn, but having fun with it. Several times I have tried to make pizza and my dough was just OK. It seemed very flat, no taste even with extra salt. I have tried several different recipes, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it right. Anyone here have a good recipe they would like to share? I think I may spend quite a bit of time here, this site is great! Ty for any ideas and/or recipes!

bakercyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
There are about a zillion really excellent recipes for pizza dough on here. I particularly like bethzaring's recipe. And FrankZ has a good one too. These are the two I've been using lately. Enjoy.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Master Chef
I add several tablespoons of whole oregano to my dough. We like the herb flavor it gives the crusts. I've also added garlic powder to the dough as well but found the oregano to be the better complement to my sauce.
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Assistant Cook
TY both...I will chech out those recipes and also add some oregano. I am excited to try them!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
Executive Chef
King Arthur Flour sells pizza dough flavour!
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Hello and welcome to DC
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Head Chef
May I call you BC?

I have never found a recipe for pizza dough that would work in different parts of the Country. When I mix hy dough, I try to get a feel for the dough and adjust the liquid to made a smooth dough. I let it rise for 4 hours, punch it down and let it rise for another 2 hours. The longer the dough sits, the more flavor the dough will have. Covered, you can use it the next day.
I fine this recipe works well . Start out with 1 cup of warm water , 2 tsp yeast , 1Tblsp sugar, mix well. Let it sit for 5 mins.
Pour into the mixer, add 1 cup of pastry or cake flour, mix well. At this time, lets forget about measuring. The dough needs 1 tsp of salt, don't add the salt until you mix the 1st cup of flour! Add all-propose ( I use un- bleached )Add, until the dough does not stick to the bowl, Just a little at a time. Mix for 30 minutes, Knead , and let it rise for 2 more hours afther it has been punched down at the 1st rise. Thin or thick, depending how you like it!
One more thought, I don't like to add olive oil to the dough as it will make it tough, After rolling out the dough, I add the olive oil. Season the dough, add tom sauce & cheese. Basil too.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
Wink The Best Pizza Dough Ever

I made this using my bread machine. I make the pizzas in my NuWave, and conventional electric oven. Delicious every time..

1 1/3 c water ( or 1c water & 1/3 c flat beer)
2 T olive oil (I use roasted vegetables in olive oil and use the leftover oil for this)
1 teas sugar
1 teas honey
1 1/4 teas salt
2 T Cornmeal (white or yellow)
3 1/2 c flour
1 teas baking powder (or 1/2 teas baking soda + 1/4 teas cream of tartar)
1/4 teas garlic powder
1/4 teas onion powder
1/2 teas Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teas yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order. Set to dough cycle ( 1 1/2 hrs)
Remove when cycle completed and place in a greased pie plate or round layer cake pan. Let rise 20-30 min. Split in half (or 6 for individual 6-8 in pizzas) and place in zip lock bags. Let the bags lie flat in frig. Good for 2 days.

To bake in conventional oven. stretch your dough to thickness and size preferred and add sauce. Prebake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Remove and add toppings. Bake at 400 for 20 - 30 minutes - depending on toppings and thickness.

In Nuwave, stretch to desired size and bake in nuwave pizza pan till starting to brown on hi for 8-12 min, depending on thickness. Take out of pan, turn over so browned side is down and becomes the bottom of the pizza. Spread sauce and toppings on pizza and place directly on rack. Bake on hi for about 12 minutes. Delicious.

You can use this dough for Calzones as well....Be sure to prick to allow steam to escape...
djdouglas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC! I add Italian herbs, about 8 oz. of beer and EVOO to my pizza dough, and then I smear it with EVOO and some more herbs before I dress it.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Assistant Cook
Thanks everyone....I definitely got some good ideas, now I can't wait to try them all! Sirloin: I actually do have KA pizza dough flavor, maybe I didn't put enough. S&P: I also more or less get a feel for the dough and adjust as necessary. I didnt know that olive oil makes dough tough? Interesting. Also, what is purpose of pastry or cake flour? Makes a more tender crust? I think I will have to try that!! DJ: honey? I guess just like adding a bit of sugar...never tried that one either...and I never thought to put in baking powder along with the yeast either. Is this common or a trick of yours? And CWS: BEER??? Really? Why do you add beer, does it add more flavor and yeastiness? (Is that even a word..lol). Ty again for all your replies, this is very interesting and I am learning a lot!!

dough, pizza