Soaking potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristopherG

Assistant Cook
Hello Everyone! I'm ChristopherG, and I just joined this site. I have a question for everyone. A friend of mine says she soaks potatoes in cold water and puts them in the fridge before boiling them to make mashed potatoes. Does anyone know why this would be done and what the benefits are? I told her she was crazy, lol, but I wanted to see if there was a valid reason for doing this. Thanks for your help.:chef:

I always cover pealed potatoes with water if I am not going to be cooking them right away. It keeps them from turning brown and helps wash off some of the starch.

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Last edited:
I do it when I'm making a big holiday dinner.

I peel them in the morning, cover them with cold water and put them into the refrigerator for several hours. When I get ready to cook them I pour off the cold water and cover them with tap water.

It is also common in making potato pancakes or french fries as a way to remove starch.

I guess I'm crazy too! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Did she say why she does that? I've never done it and my mashed potatoes are very good. We didn't do that in culinary school either unless we were going to cook them the next day. But if you peel them in advance, you can't wait longer than a day to cook them or they become mushy.

When I'm making them for a big holiday dinner, I make the mashed potatoes in advance and reheat them in a slow cooker for serving.

If you want to peel potatoes ahead of time, covering them with water keeps them from turning brown.

However, there is no other reason for soaking potatoes before making mashed potatoes. Peel, boil, mash.

Maybe it's how her mother did it?

I'm reminded of a story a friend told. Her mother always cut the end off the ham before baking it. Friend asked her mum why? Mum, "That's how my mother did it." So, she asked her grandmother why she did it. Grandmum, "The pot I bake ham in is too small for a whole ham." :LOL:

I'm reminded of a story a friend told. Her mother always cut the end off the ham before baking it. Friend asked her mum why? Mum, "That's how my mother did it." So, she asked her grandmother why she did it. Grandmum, "The pot I bake ham in is too small for a whole ham." :LOL:

:LOL: Question everything!

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

By soaking your peeled potatoes in cold water, it removes some of the starch. Look at the bottom of the bowl. You will see the leached starch sitting there. Less starch and you will reduce the problem of having your mashed potatoes turn gluey. They will mash up nice and fluffy. You all know the problems of using an electric mixer when making mashed potatoes. Soaking them in cold water reduces that problem. :angel:

By soaking your peeled potatoes in cold water, it removes some of the starch. Look at the bottom of the bowl. You will see the leached starch sitting there. Less starch and you will reduce the problem of having your mashed potatoes turn gluey. They will mash up nice and fluffy. You all know the problems of using an electric mixer when making mashed potatoes. Soaking them in cold water reduces that problem. :angel:

No, we don't all know the problems of using an electric mixer when making mashed potatoes. Tell me. I have always just peeled, boiled, whipped and served. Always with an electric mixer. Never had a problem.

No, we don't all know the problems of using an electric mixer when making mashed potatoes. Tell me. I have always just peeled, boiled, whipped and served. Always with an electric mixer. Never had a problem.

There are certain types of potatoes (waxy) that become gluey when beaten with cold milk and butter using an electric mixer. There are times when I have seen potatoes so gluey that I would rather eat Elmer's Glue. It is the adding of the cold milk to the hot potatoes and then mixing them with the electric mixer vigorously that causes the glueyness. It is a chemical reaction. This is why so many recipes for mashed potatoes recommend adding warm milk. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie is totally right about soaking eliminating starch making for a fluffier dish

That said, I've never done it. I just boil drain and mash.

Electric mixers can make for some very gross gluey mashed potatoes.

I will cover taters with water to keep them from turning brown till I cook them.

I will NEVER put taters in the fridge. I did it once and hated it. Refrigeration of potatoes turns the starch to sugar. Try it. You will have slightly sweet mashed. For me I don't like the flavor. JMHO

I tried making mashed potatoes in a blender, once. The gloopy mess couldn't be removed with a spoon. I had to soak it to get off the blender blades.

Soaking potatoes is a good move if you're going to fry them, to remove the surface starch. (BTW I don't know why this is good but I know for sure that it's good.) also, you should fry them twice, for sure, but again I'm not sure why: read Julia Child. If you cut your potatoes in advance you can keep them from browning by keeping tham under water.

When I make mashed potatoes I usually just boil them unskinned, or perhaps just bake them. I never remove the skin--I like the rustic look, feel and taste.

Well anything else would amount to me telling ppl how to make mashed potatoes... Or be sure to read Julia Child on making fried potato pillows. You understand pillows you pretty much have mastered fried potatoes.

As far as mashed, just bake or boil them then let them sit unpeeled and they won't brown.

Hello Everyone! I'm ChristopherG, and I just joined this site. I have a question for everyone. A friend of mine says she soaks potatoes in cold water and puts them in the fridge before boiling them to make mashed potatoes. Does anyone know why this would be done and what the benefits are? I told her she was crazy, lol, but I wanted to see if there was a valid reason for doing this. Thanks for your help.:chef:
Like already said this process keeps them from turning brown and keeps them firm. Best way to prepare a day before the meal. Carrots. Onions, Apples, etc. the same way .Adding lemons or lemon juice to the water is another good trick.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom