Chili Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arcana

Cook
I would love to have a simple chili recipe that doesn't take long to cook. I realise there are a ton of recipes here and I've looked at a few but with a baby to take care of, I just don't have time to go thru everyone to see if it's what I need.

Basically what I need are ingredient proportions. I want a recipe without beans that might include the following ingredients and take only 30 mins or so to cook. (I had a recipe from Betty Crocker but I lost it and to be honest, it was too Italian tasting. Italian food is my alltime fave but I don't want my chili to taste Italian lol. I absolutely adore the Hormel canned chili taste, just don't like the watery texture of the juice or the large chunks of meat. I love very finely ground meat mixtures like tacos.)

Here's what I have:
1 pound of Beef
White Onions, Allspice, Rosemary, coriander, turmeric, cumin, bay leaves, basil, thyme, dried celery, paprika, black pepper, salt.

I also need a substitute for chili powder because the only chili powder they have here is hotter than Hades. I like hot stuff but not THIS hot. I will use a little of it but usually not as much as is called for in most recipes.

Here are things I either can't get or don't know where to get that I've seen in some recipes. This is just to save you from suggesting these things because I can't get them.
Ground cloves (only whole ones and I have never seen a spice grinder in the shops I go to), molasses. We have Worcestershire sauce here but it's expensive and I don't want to buy it only for one recipe that I only make a few times a month, if that. Ok, think that's all I have to say for now lol.

A nice recipe will be much appreciated:)

you`re actualy well on your way there :)

Cummin, paprika (I always add that), the onions and beef naturaly, black pepper, use your chili powder! (just only add a little).

some Oregano would be a nice item to add to your shopping list for next time, it goes well in chili, but also in Italian foods, and Pizza wouldn`t be Pizza without a little oregano added.

a can of tomatoes would set it off nicely, as would some red kidney beans, BUT you Can cheat and add a can of baked beans instead (I`ve done this in the past and it works).

I also add a little 1/4 T spoon of instant coffee and some dark chocolate or cocoa powder (those are entirely optional though).

hope that helps a little :)

Ground beef Browned
diced onions
Salt/pepper
paprika
cumin
sm amount of your hot spice
celery
Tomatoes
Add your spices as you go to get the taste you want.With no beans you might need to add extra beef to make a thicker chili.

Hamburger and tomatoes are a meal in it's self to me

I forgot to mention that I do have oregano, garlic and a can of peeled tomatoes And I loathe beans so I'll leave those out lol. Would anyone happen to have some basic proportions? I'm really a terrible cook in this area. I am way too heavy handed with the stuff I like and not enough with other ingredients.

Add in some bell pepper or a yellow banana pepper. They go great with a not so hot chili.

I like it a bit hot. It's just everyone else in my life that doesn't like hot stuff lol. I just need the proportions or else it won't come out good at all. I always put too much of one thing and not enough of another or things come out too dry or too wet. Once I have proportions, then I can adjust things to the taste and texture I like but I can't start from scratch, I'm just no good at it:)

I actually like the sound of the Cincinatti Chili cause of all the different spices but I don't have all of them and I don't want a recipe that takes two hours.

Hormel's flavor is mostly cumin and coriander. It's light on actual chili powder flavor. For what you are asking, here is my recomendation:

2 cans diced tomato with can liquore
1 12oz. can tomato sauce
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 onion, diced, or 1 tsp. onion powder
2 tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cummin
1 tbs. paprika
2 bay leaves (optional)
1/2 square of unsweetened chocolate
2 tbs. fresh, chopped cilantro (optional)
1 lb. ground beef
Salt

Brown the ground beef, salting as it cooks. Rinse and drain it. Add the remaining ingredients to the potv and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for thirty minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.

Tip: You can reduce the amount of chili powder and increase the coriander and cummin for a milder heat with lots of flavor.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Arcana

I am not much of a chili fan but I am sure you will get a lot of help from our wonderful chefs and cooks.

Have a great Sunday.

Jill and Jolie

Back
Top Bottom