Toning down spicy chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissMillie420

Assistant Cook
Hello...I made a batch of chili today that turned out way too spicy :furious: and wondered if anyone could help me tone it down so someone besides my Son can eat it!

Thanx in advance...

Not sure what type of chili you made, but you can add some canned tomatoes with some of the juice.

The only way to tame the heat without altering the flavor is to make a second batch without any heat and then combine the two.

If you do not mind changing the flavor though then adding tomatoes or any other ingredient will help dilute the heat a bit.

It's very hard to tone down chili that is too hot. I agree that you might want to just start another batch to add to it with no heat. Either that or divide it up and freeze the hot stuff with your son's name on it.

BC

A can of refried beans (without extra seasoning) may help. I use them quite often because I like the texture it gives the chili.

You may want to take a bit and serve it with some pasta.

Or pour it over some corn bread.

That way you are only eating a bit of the hot stuff.

Or can serve it on hot dogs.

One thing that would work, I believe, is adding cream or sour cream, but sour cream with chili seems like something I would probably not want to do.

But if I had a bit of sour cream in the fridge might add a spoonful or so to a bit of the chili just to see how it tasted.

And who knows, it might be OK over pasta. particularly if you added a bit more tomato sauce.

Otherwise, chili freezes well and you can always mix some with the next batch you make.

No more ideas, sorry.

Take care and God bless.

Just another idea, how about a chili mac casserole with cheese.

The cheese will cut the hotness.

Just an idea.

Thanx everybody...with your help, looks like I may be able to salvage this crock full of chili after all!

I learned to serve chili over pasta with a dollup of sour cream from my aunt. I thought "what is she thinking" but ate it anyway because she's my aunt. It was great. We added grated chedder and I loved it.

Other uses for too hot chili ~ taco salad. You just add it to lettuce, tomatoes, green onions, and cheese, mix with French dressing and add fritos. It's a great cool summertime thing when you want chili, but it's too darn hot to eat the stuff.

I make one giant batch of chili a year and freeze it. It keeps really well. I made my batch last Christmas and I have one container left. It went faster having new ideas to use it for.

I have made this mistake a couple of times. We eat my over hot version with a big dollop of natural yogurt on top. Works nicely.

Back
Top Bottom