"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres

Old 10-15-2012, 04:35 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

They look so tasty Greg!

Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Head Chef

If you want to grow those big jalapenos, buy the 'Mucho Nacho' variety. The peppers are very big, the yield is phenomenal, and they start bearing very early in the season and continue til frost.

Try leaving them whole, coring and seeding, and slip a Lil Smokie inside with the cream cheese. Wrap with bacon. That version is called an Atomic Buffalo Turd.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Location: The Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northern New Mexico
As you might imagine, there are literally thousands of ways to make poppers, which also go by the name of buffalo turds, possum drops, armadillo eggs and others.

Personally, I like 'em as sparrowgrass mentioned, left whole, seeded and stuffed and cooked on the grill. Once you've cut the top off and seeded them (LINK to a jalapeño seeding tool - VERY helpful!), you can stuff 'em with just about anything...diced shrimp, cooked ground beef or pork or taco meat, strips of cheese or onion or bits of garlic, Cream cheese mixtures - You name it!

After stuffing, wrap them in bacon and set them in a rack (LINK to a jalapeño grilling rack) and put them in your grill. It is generally best to cook them indirectly (not directly over the coals) so the bacon has a chance to cook and get a little crispy.

As for baking in the oven, well, GregWhoCooks has it right. 350° is good until the bacon is just about done, then finish 'em off in the broiler for some crispness. You can use the same rack for whole poppers in the oven, too.

Oh, and you can make poppers out of virtually any chile, even those little orange ones that look like cute little wrinkled up pumpkins!

- - ¡CAUTION! - - Poppers are extremely addictive. Oh, and those cute orange ones? The chile habanero runs from 100,000 to 350,000 on the Scoville scale (of spicy heat), whereas the chile jalapeño is a mere 2,500-8,000.

You folks have fun with these! Hear?

Wiley
Old 11-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I've made these poppers dozens of times since my OP, after inspiration from Pioneer Woman, thank you so much Ree! I have your new book "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Food From My Frontier" (by Ree Drummond, HarperCollins 2012). I intend to review this book at DC in the next week or so. From reading her last cookbook I'm sure there will be vast numbers of her recipes that I'll want to cook.

It kills me that I read her previous book several months before I first cooked them. I've developed a few variations of my own since my first poppers, and after serving them to my neighbors SWMBO (his not mine, I'm single) demanded them for our tomorrow's pot luck after-Thanksgiving neighborhood get together.

If you're addicted to poppers my personal advice is: (1) minimize the cream cheese, and (2) get lots of physical exercise! (I've actually lost weight since first cooking poppers, but I've also hugely increased my exercise regimen.) Get more work and you can reward yourself with more poppers!

(I've lost only 2 pounds so maybe it's statistical.)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Head Chef

those look good .. same way i make ABTs but i put a little smoky sausage in it also...
and i put franks hot wing sauce in the cream cheese ...
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I still like the battered and deep fried version best! Along with a nice crema dipping sauce made with chipoltle, lime juice and honey.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Can I use frozen peppers? I have several rather large bags in the freezer from the garden...have bacon, cream cheese, lime, honey, chilpolte...
Old 11-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyP View Post
...Personally, I like 'em as sparrowgrass mentioned, left whole, seeded and stuffed and cooked on the grill. Once you've cut the top off and seeded them (LINK to a jalapeño seeding tool - VERY helpful!), you can stuff 'em with just about anything...diced shrimp, cooked ground beef or pork or taco meat, strips of cheese or onion or bits of garlic, Cream cheese mixtures - You name it!

After stuffing, wrap them in bacon and set them in a rack (LINK to a jalapeño grilling rack) and put them in your grill...

I make them using whole peppers too. My problem is, if you get peppers big enough so the seeding tool doesn't cut through the pepper, they're too big to fit into the holes in the grilling rack.

Regardless, they are truly dangerous in their addictive qualities.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I still like the battered and deep fried version best! Along with a nice crema dipping sauce made with chipoltle, lime juice and honey.
That sounds good! Do you care to post a recipe for the batter?
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Can I use frozen peppers? I have several rather large bags in the freezer from the garden...have bacon, cream cheese, lime, honey, chilpolte...
Peppers get rather soft and loose after freeing. This is generally not a problem if you're going to chop them up, but in the poppers recipe I think you'll discover the skins are too soft.

Tags
recipe

Jalapeno Poppers I first became acquainted with this recipe when I heard of Pioneer Woman's Blog and decided to check out her cookbook... literally, at the library: [I]Pioneer Woman Cooks: recipes form an accidental country girl[/I] by Rhee Drummond. This recipe from her cookbook piqued my interest so I promptly typed it into my cooking notes, and then forgot about it for several months... Today I was at the market when I noticed these huge jalapeno peppers, the biggest I've ever seen. (Actually I had to pick out the smaller ones because the big ones were almost 4 inches long!) And I thought of Pioneer Woman and her jalapeno poppers recipe, so I decided to make them. :smile: But I forgot the recipe details. So WTH I just bought what I remembered and I decided to fake it. As it turns out, the recipe I cooked is the exact recipe she posted on her blog: [URL="http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/07/bacon-wrapped_j/"]Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Thingies[/URL]. Or maybe she has two recipes, one for thingies and another for poppers, and almost the same recipe... If you're into existentialism you can ponder this... In any case I'll tell you (1) how I cooked this tonight (what turned out to be the recipe she posted), and (2) I'll tell you how to improve it by using the recipe from her cookbook (which I'll tell-all, but in my own words). In any case they were delicious!!! [B]Ingredients:[/B] bacon cream cheese jalapeno peppers And don't forget the latex gloves to protect your hands from the caustic juices in the jalapenos! [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img51/7131/poppers1.jpg[/IMG] [B]Method: [/B] Cut the jalapeno peppers in half, then scoop out the insides. If you want hotter appetizers then leave a bit of the insides in, otherwise scoop the seeds and membranes all out. Fill the shells with cream cheese then wrap them with bacon (bacon!!!) and if necessary use a toothpick to hold them together. [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img842/4440/poppers2.jpg[/IMG] As it turned out my large peppers were just the right size for the center cut bacon I bought. When I was done stuffing them they looked like this: [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img402/2499/poppers3.jpg[/IMG] Next, put them on an aluminum foil lined pan (for easy clean up). Bake them about 20-25 minutes in 400-450 F oven (mine reaches only about 350 but it did well enough and I wasn't paying much attention to the time anyway...) Just bake them till they're done, and if you want you can broil them a few minutes to crisp the bacon. As it turned out I didn't need that. [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img196/5946/poppers4.jpg[/IMG] And they came out like this! Mmmmmmm!!! I didn't know these were so tasty! And so easy to make!!! [IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img442/3122/poppers5.jpg[/IMG] So here's the rest of the recipe, from the book, the good recipe. This is in my own words so we won't have to worry about violating Rhee... er... I mean violating her copyright. (She's kind of cute!!!) 18 fresh jalapenos one 8 oz package cream cheese 1/2 C. grated cheddar cheese 1 green onion, sliced 18 slices thin bacon, cut into halves bottled barbecue sauce toothpicks You can pretty much figure it out from her ingredient list. For the stuffing you mix 1:2 cheddar cheese to cream cheese, and add in chopped green onions. I remember when I read this recipe I thought the idea of using barbecue sauce just knocked me dead!!! I can't believe I forgot that but tonight when I was cooking I was hell bent on cooking and I didn't have any time to look at my notes from her book. They were delicious anyway! I'm sure the barbecue sauce would be better--I can imagine the taste as I type this--maybe not so sure about the cheddar cheese (I'm not a big cheddar head although I'm a huge cheese lover, I usually eat cheese with both breakfast and with/before dinner). Toothpicks??? I think you can take 'em or leave 'em. Maybe you need 'em for small jalapenos. So anyway I bought 4 peppers today and used only 2 of them tonight, so I'm guessing I'll have this again tomorrow night but with the barbecue sauce, and I've got green onions too, might as well try adding them also. This recipe is so easy and so good!!! :yum: [IMG]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/442/poppers5.jpg/[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews