My Recipe Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MustHavesKitchen

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, just wanted to share this awesome app I use. I find it a little annoying to look for recipes online, most of the time you have to stroll through 5 pages just to get to the ingredients and instructions. With the My Recipe Box app you can just copy the URL and it will take out all the nonsense and just leave you with the ingredient and instructions. You can also save them and start your own little cookbook from recipes found online.

A lot of members here use CMT, Copy Me That. Pretty much the same. I think another popular one is called Paprika.

I really should find an app like this for my iPad. The few cookbooks I own are eBooks, which I keep on the iPad.

CD

I really like Copy Me That. I have a widget on my bookmarks bar that I can click on a recipe, or other, site and it will fetch the recipe and I can edit it and store it. It even works with other languages, you do have to highlight a recipe ingredient. It's free to use, but there is also a premium paid version.

I continue to use an old fashioned recipe box filled with 3x5 cards and illegible scraps of paper. 🤭
Im in the process of converting all my scraps, handwritten stuff, loose pieces of paper from the printer , cut outs from magazines .... to CMT. For the recipes that that are more personal ( handwritten by mom or dad, or printed with their scribbled notes in the margins, or the recipe that my hands got so stained up by the beets I was cutting, that I put a red, beet colored hand print on the recipe , with a note stating how badly it can stain up your hands). I scan them, but the scan in with the recipe's photos on CMT, then store them carefully in a folder. I used to keep them in a binder, but I never was able to find anything I wanted easily, no matter how well I thought I organized them. Then I went to individual folders, desserts had 1 folder, soups had another.... but still turned out to be less organized than I had hoped. I finally gave into CMT. Makes finding recipes much easier, and clears off a spot on my shelf.

I transfer recipes (many from here) to word processing, make any changes I want, and print them out. After perforating the paper for a three-ring binder, I file them under the appropriate heading. I like to have the recipe on the countertop, and to pencil in any changes I want after making it, especially for the first time.
Like Aunt Bea, I have a recipe box that was a wedding present 52 years ago, which holds hand written recipes from family and friends long gone. Treasure is not always gold.

I have 2 problems with CMT. One is picking up my recipes on word documents without going to an awful lot of trouble. Other is it is only available on-line.

I pick-up the grands 2 or 3 times a week - and it is a one hour wait in the parking lot where I do not have internet. :(

My issue with CMT is that it sometimes does not give the recipe to another if you post the link. I rarely follow original recipes as follows, but I don't mind it linking back to the original! However, it bothers me that it does not give those who follow me the recipes that I changed. I always put notes in when I change them as to why I made changes. But...it basically gives a blank recipe with the link to the original. Other than that, I love it. As for the availability online, that is fine with me. When a tablet is updated, the old tablet becomes a kitchen tool for my online resources - such as CMT.

My issue with CMT is that it sometimes does not give the recipe to another if you post the link. I rarely follow original recipes as follows, but I don't mind it linking back to the original! However, it bothers me that it does not give those who follow me the recipes that I changed. I always put notes in when I change them as to why I made changes. But...it basically gives a blank recipe with the link to the original. Other than that, I love it. As for the availability online, that is fine with me. When a tablet is updated, the old tablet becomes a kitchen tool for my online resources - such as CMT.
When you have made enough changes, it becomes your recipe. At that point, post it on CMT as your recipe and give permission to share with notes. You can always include a note with the URL of the recipe that you based your recipe on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom