"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I've used cold milk without a problem.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garband View Post
Alright, thanks. The sight I used said to have cold milk if the roux is hot, and hot if the roux is cold, so I used cold milk. lol
I think that would be fine, the secret is to add the milk to the roux very slowly at first. I usually only add maybe 2 tablespoons of milk at first and whisk it in, it will go real thick like paste, then add maybe 3 table spoons of milk and whisk like crazy again till it is mixed in, then add more, more, more increasing the amount of milk that goes in each time.

Thats how I do it, then back on the heat till it thickens.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Alright, thanks. The sight I used said to have cold milk if the roux is hot, and hot if the roux is cold, so I used cold milk. lol

With a roux, the temperature of the liquid to be added doesn't matter. The flour won't clump because each grain of flour is coated with fat.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #14
Cook

Does the rate I add it matter? The site didn't say anything about how fast to do it, so I just dumped the milk in... I didn't think it would affect it really. I also forgot to mention that I didn't use all the flour...
Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I add the milk in a steady stream as I whisk briskly. If you didn't add all the flour, the sauce will be thinner. All adding more flour will do is make it thicker.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Does the rate I add it matter? The site didn't say anything about how fast to do it, so I just dumped the milk in... I didn't think it would affect it really. I also forgot to mention that I didn't use all the flour...
Dumping the milk in and then whisking will make it very hard to get it with no lumps.

Just add it slowly bits at a time and whish it smooth. Try it, see how you go, that is how I do it and have never had lumps yet.

Tags
None