"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Sauces

Old 09-06-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Having difficulty making delicious cheese sauce for pasta

hello
I am not professional but I like to cook and dine home. I 've been trying to make cheese sauce for pasta for quite some time. I use cheddar cheese, cold milk , all-purpose flour, butter, pepper and salt. I don't think I've missed anything. The taste is OK but it's still very far from those bottle finished sauce I buy from the supermarket. They are VERY delicious. What is the reason for the difference? Which one is the key? Type of cheese? milk? or the flour? I don't understand.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
hello
I am not professional but I like to cook and dine home. I 've been trying to make cheese sauce for pasta for quite some time. I use cheddar cheese, cold milk , all-purpose flour, butter, pepper and salt. I don't think I've missed anything. The taste is OK but it's still very far from those bottle finished sauce I buy from the supermarket. They are VERY delicious. What is the reason for the difference? Which one is the key? Type of cheese? milk? or the flour? I don't understand.
Describe your technique for putting those ingredients together.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Master Chef

Hard to say.

The key may be on the label of the jarred sauce from the supermarket. It could be some type of additive or flavor enhancer that they sneak into your favorite brand of cheese sauce.

If you make a basic roux from butter and flour let it cook a minute or two to get rid of the raw flour taste before adding the milk.

Maybe you need to be more aggressive with salt when seasoning the white sauce.

Use an aged cheddar cheese for more flavor or maybe add some Parmesan or Romano cheese. Use some American style cheese for creaminess.

Maybe you need another flavor element. If I don't have great cheese I saute an onion with the butter before adding the flour to make the roux.

Maybe just stick with your favorite brand of supermarket sauce, nothing wrong with that!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Hi Kenny,
You may like to try 1 teaspoon of english mustard powder mixed in with your flour next time. Cheddar cheese sounds perfect. Is it the 'extra strong' or 'mature'cheddar because that is what you need for the best taste. It might even need a little extra sea salt than you would normally add but be careful, just a pinch at a time and keep tasting. In all honesty I doubt that you will get exactly the same flavor as the bought kind. Have you read the list of flavor enhancers they add? Don't worry, yours will be authentic and delicious I'm sure.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by menumaker View Post
Hi Kenny,
You may like to try 1 teaspoon of english mustard powder mixed in with your flour next time. Cheddar cheese sounds perfect. Is it the 'extra strong' or 'mature'cheddar because that is what you need for the best taste. It might even need a little extra sea salt than you would normally add but be careful, just a pinch at a time and keep tasting. In all honesty I doubt that you will get exactly the same flavor as the bought kind. Have you read the list of flavor enhancers they add? Don't worry, yours will be authentic and delicious I'm sure.
The mustard is a great tip!

If you don't have mustard powder use a little prepared mustard to add some zip.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Master Chef

Creamy and delicious cheese sauce:

1 cup whole milk
1 cup strong/sharp, high quality cheese, shredded (I use 3 year or older cheddar, or some mixture of cheeses that I like)
1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard, or 1/2 tsp. powdered mustard

Heat milk until it just begins to bubble. Remove from the heat. Slowly add, ans whisk in the cheese until all is combined, and is silky smooth. Fold in the mustard. The mustard adds both a bit of flavor, and helps emulsify the cheese and milk fats, and helps keep the sauce from breaking.

Sauce - 2
1/4 loaf Velveeta Cheese product or 1 cup shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese
1 cup milk
3 tbs. butter
3 tbs. flour
dash of nutmeg
dash of salt
1/2 tsp. powdered mustard

Melt butter in a sauce pan, over medium heat. Add the flour and stir into the butter. Let cook until pale yellow color is achieved. Slowly whisk in the milk to make a smooth sauce. Heat until the Bechemel sauce just starts to bubble. Remove from heat and add the cheese. Stir until it's melted and silky smooth..

Others will be along shortly to add there recipes and techniques.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

hi

I had read a lot of youtube videos before I first started trying to make some cheese sauce. The sauce I make looks good, but it's almost tasteless. I started with medium heat and some butter, as the butter melts, I pour some flour to it and mix them well with a stirrer (I don't know that English term). After some mixing I then pour cold milk into it (usually low-fat milk) and continue to mix everything with the stirrer, as the milk boils and evaporates I continue to add some milk for 3 times in total and then finally I put the cheddar cheese (cut into pieces) to it. Mixing is done at all times and heat is kept at medium or low.

The outcome is - it tastes like creamy stuff but without much taste
Old 09-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

It definitely needs a good kick. Add some mustard. Either wet or dry.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Are you adding enough cheese and is it sharp or extra sharp cheddar? I always add a good dash of hot sauce to a cheddar sauce.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Salt and pepper will enhance the flavors, too.

Tags
cheese, other, pasta, sauce