Help. . .my homemade hot sauce is WAY too hot!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't add yogourt to a hot sauce. I might add a dollop of yogourt to my serving of the meal, if the hot sauce is too hot.

Who suggested adding peanut butter?

BuckyTom did, way back in 2008 ;) and Sir Loin said, "If you add yogurt, peanut butter, vinegar, or anything else not in the original recipe it will totally destroy your hot sauce."

Then Zhihara objected to that. My point, and I didn't really make it clear, is that if you add something like peanut butter or yogurt to hot sauce, then it isn't a general-use hot sauce anymore. It becomes a spicy peanut butter or yogurt sauce.

BuckyTom did, way back in 2008 ;) and Sir Loin said, "If you add yogurt, peanut butter, vinegar, or anything else not in the original recipe it will totally destroy your hot sauce."

Then Zhihara objected to that. My point, and I didn't really make it clear, is that if you add something like peanut butter or yogurt to hot sauce, then it isn't a general-use hot sauce anymore. It becomes a spicy peanut butter or yogurt sauce.
Agreed.

Why totally destroy the hot Sauce????

Tone it down I see.

But destroy???? I see no reason to do so.

To each his/her own. :whistling

Adding yogurt, sour cream, peanut butter, vinegar, or anything else that has been suggested, if it was not in the original hot sauce recipe, would totally ruin your hot sauce. Why do you have a problem with that statement?

Adding yogurt, sour cream, peanut butter, vinegar, or anything else that has been suggested, if it was not in the original hot sauce recipe, would totally ruin your hot sauce. Why do you have a problem with that statement?
I agree it wouldn't be proper hot sauce any more, but I don't think it would be necessarily be ruined. It might still be quite tasty.

I've been making hot salsa for my husband and son for some 10 years so I know peppers. My goal was to make my hubby cry. He can eat anything (comes from years overseas in the Navy). He's the only one I can't make cry! I have brought many a grown, MEXICAN, man to tears, coughing..my husband? Nope. He just winces a bit and keeps on eating.

The Scotch Bonnet is not actually a Habanero. It is a distant relative, so to speak. The Scotch Bonnet has a Scoville rating of somewhere between 100,000 and 350,000. Compare that to a Jalapeno with about a 2,000 - 7,000 or 8,000 rating. It was the Scotch Bonnet that ruined the salsa/sauce. Not sure it can be fixed.

The longer salsa sits, the more "full-bodied" it becomes. The ice cube idea is the only thing I can think of that might work because it is such a small amount.

The heat in the peppers has to do with the oil in the membrane of the pepper. Seeds are hot because they are in the oil that is in the membrane of the pepper.

That recipe is way too long for my taste. If it doesn't work out for you, drop me a message. I hate to just post one out here if you've found one you like. So let me know...be happy to share (not that I really follow recipes...but I can give you a close idea...LOL)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom