"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 09-08-2004, 06:20 AM   #21
Senior Cook

What exactly is a pizza stone supposed to do for the pizza that ordinary cooking does not do?

And is it successful in acheiving this end?

Old 09-08-2004, 08:38 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

The Pampered Chef has an entire line of reasonabbly priced, excellent quality stone cookware, including a pizza stone. I am NOT a Pampered Chef rep, but a I think I own practically the entire inventory. Their stones have done right by me. Pizza crust especially. The crust is always crisp on the bottom and bready on the rim.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #23
Master Chef

One of my sons gave me a pizza stone last year for Christmas - had a trivet, the stone, a wooden pizza peel, and a pizza cutter - the regural price on the box was $14.99 - I'm sure they got it on sale. Works just fine.

I've seen the same thing at WalMart for about the same price.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:05 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstream
What exactly is a pizza stone supposed to do for the pizza that ordinary cooking does not do?

And is it successful in acheiving this end?
Pizza stones reproduce, to an extent, pizzeria type pizza. A crisp, fluffy crust and bubbling cheese. The secret of pizza stones is that once they are preheated, they contain a great deal of the heat necessary to cook the pizza. With a cookie sheet, the element of your oven is heating the air which in turn is heating the sheet. With a pizza stone there is no middleman.

There is also speculation that the porosity of the stone wicks away moisture for a crisper crust. I belief this, although not everyone does.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Okay. I have some oil on my stone from a disaster trying to make pizza out of a weird oily loaf. It's smoking when I use it now. How do I get the oil off without using soap?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:46 PM   #26
Everymom

Oil is good on your stone. Smear a thin layer on the stone and then put it in the oven on 500 and turn your hood fan on high. Let it season until the oil stops smoking.

If you don't want to do that, just let the oil burn off your stone, it won't take long.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:39 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I've had great success with a pizza pan. The crust gets brown, the cheese gets bubbly.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:35 PM   #28
Head Chef

We have three baking stones ... 2 rounds and a rectangle. I don't own baking sheets any more and use them for EVERYTHING. We have one just for sweets (cookies etc...), one for salty (ff, mozy sticks, etc...) and one for sauces (wings etc...). The salty also doubles as our pizza base when we make it. I think the rounds are from Target and the rectangle is from Pampered Chef - they were all gifts. I can't say that the more expensive one does better than the others but it seems it has seasoned itself much better.
Just 2 more cents!
:)
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Oil is good on your stone. Smear a thin layer on the stone and then put it in the oven on 500 and turn your hood fan on high. Let it season until the oil stops smoking.

If you don't want to do that, just let the oil burn off your stone, it won't take long.
i thought that pizza stones were supposed to be porous so that they absorb moisture from the dough to crisp the crust? wouldn't oiling, or seasoning a stone fill the pores, thus making it more non stick than absorbant?

i just bought one, a 16 x 1/2 inch round stone. the directions said to heat it at 450 for at least 15 minutes before dusting with cornmeal, then sliding on the pizza from a peel. it particularly mentioned to only clean it with water, not even soap, to keep it as porous as possible. it will darken with age, but it shouldn't be seasoned.

does that sound about right? help, who knows a lot about pizza stones?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never heard of oiling a stone. In fact, I clean the stone by leaving it in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle. It comes out clean as a whistle.