Second Hand Finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got my current range, a Five Star commercial style gas with convection range, off of Craig's list. It was 4 years old and I swear, had only been used a few times. The broiler had never been used. It also came with a huge cast iron griddle that you put in over 2 of the burners. It listed for $4300 and I got it for $550.

I've also gotten most of my dishes from thrift stores and re-sale shops. I got a wonderful Calphalon SS grill pan used on Ebay for $35 shipped. It's huge and with a little Bar Keepers Friend, it looks brand new.

Outstanding! I am eyeballing a Viking 30" range on CraigsList at the moment.

Er, Mr.........and it's an older model, but clean, black with s.s. trim...bit rich, $900....

Sorry, Mr. Gadzooks. But you won't let an "asking" price stop you, right? I've been known to watch items for months before I made an offer and sometimes I get lucky!

Oh, I'll try to low-ball him first, and then be ready to start dealing. Alright! Bread's out of the oven and cooling. Time for a trip to the post office.

Last edited:
I don't live any where near a good thrift store or good garage sales. Theres Ebay but by the time you pay shipping it's usually no longer a bargain.

My best find is an "Acme Safty Grater" Picture here Vintage ACME Safety Grater

I have my Grandmothe's but the 2 center splines broke and fell out, which makes it a little difficult to use sometimes. I had been searching for a new one for years and found one at the local thrift store a few months ago for 50 cents.

You people and your Vita Mix blenders!!! Why can't I find one!!!!

I see a lot of VM 3600 & 4000 on eBay that ship from Florida. Of course, eBay tends to be pricey. What type are you looking for, retro or new model? I can keep my eyes opened here. I have as many as I can use, and often buy for others. I often find 3600's not working or incomplete, and refurbish them myself. I have an account now with their parts department. I also live in an area where there are several extremely good thrift stores.

I see a lot of VM 3600 & 4000 on eBay that ship from Florida. Of course, eBay tends to be pricey. What type are you looking for, retro or new model? I can keep my eyes opened here. I have as many as I can use, and often buy for others. I often find 3600's not working or incomplete, and refurbish them myself. I have an account now with their parts department. I also live in an area where there are several extremely good thrift stores.

Well I have looked on eBay and don't want to buy there because, like you said, too pricey. I told my daughter (she is 8) if she ever sees one at a thrift store, EVEN if it's broken, to grab it. I would get it fixed.

The think is my mother passed away almost two years ago and my dad passed away about 3 months ago. I am the married one with a family so I got most of her stuff but the one thing my brother wanted was the Vita Mix. I couldn't fight him for it because I got so much of everything and that was the one thing he wanted. So, alas, I am on my own to find one. Therefore, I am not super picky.

Got a new coffee roaster this morning. Caffe Rosto. Discontinued, but gets great reviews at Sweet Maria's. They have instructions for it, too. $3.93+tax. Works just fine, and has a larger capacity than the FreshRoast+8 I've been using. Too hot too roast this afternoon, and I have a couple days worth roasted ahead. I'll try it out Saturday or Sunday, early morning or late evening.

At the local op shop yesterday came across a cast iron dutch oven.

Inscribed on the base, Victor designed by Robert Welch. I lifted the lid to find this awful orange rust, but have since scrubbed and seasoned it, and it looks really good.

Cost of 15.00 AU a real bargain, i am delighted.

So here are my latest finds. I got a Pampered Chef Stone casserole dish, the square one, probably 9x9 for $2.95.

I got a Le Creuset skillet in blue for $9.95.

Last but not least I got a small Le Creuset Dutch Oven, maybe a two quart, for $7.95.

All in all it was a good shopping day. All that at only one thrift store.

I really don't need much kitchenware because I have so much!

But......in the last few months I have been scoring on some of those TV infomercial carousel plastic container storage thingys for $1 each, and I have 5 sets now!

They are perfect for all of the freezing of summer veggies I do.

OK, here goes...Cuis DLC-7, DLC-8, DLC-10, all complete, all the accessories for the DCL-8, Two Vita Mix 3600's (one a +) and some assorted Wagner cast iron. Gave away the DLC-10. Oh, and some Pampered Chef unglazed baking stoneware.

OK, here goes...Cuis DLC-7, DLC-8, DLC-10, all complete, all the accessories for the DCL-8, Two Vita Mix 3600's (one a +) and some assorted Wagner cast iron. Gave away the DLC-10. Oh, and some Pampered Chef unglazed baking stoneware.

Was this in only one outing, or over a period of time?

Two weeks or so...four thrift stores, maybe two visits each...three to one of them. Oops...and "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum, in good shape, for a buck.

Back
Top Bottom