"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #131
Executive Chef

And cast iron is thinking about you, too.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #132
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I survived 18 years of electric cooking, and I didn't even get a t-shirt.

electric coils do not respond as quickly as turning the knob on a gas cooktop. that's really not hard to understand. that heating up a pan takes longer on electric coils vs gas flame, yeah - that's true. deal with it.

the preference for one cooking vessel material vs. another based on how quickly they heat up is, ah.... uhhmmmm.... something. not sure what. electric or gas or coal or kerosene or wood fire or induction, , , put the blinking pan on the heat at let it come up to temperature and YES! cast iron might take 2-3 minutes more than aluminum and if that is such a critical issue, one might want to re-examine one's starvation diet plan which leads to the inability to tolerate 2-3 minute delays in eating.

I have some half century+ old Revere Ware, some decades old thick thick aluminum stuff, some century+ old cast iron, and some 3mm thick stainless lined copper. when I need to cook something it goes on the gas burner, the burner gets lit and runs on low, the pan gets hot. sometimes it takes me longer to dice/slice (whatever) and I have to take the pan off the heat before I'm ready to start a saute / fry / go cooking crazy.
so all the 'it's faster / it's slower' stuff is actually not of any importance except to the cook who is unaware they want to cook something 5 minutes from now.

hot spots on electric coils exist - I've seen it. if you've got 7-15 year old electric coils, turn it on high and observe the color brightness of the coil. some spots are cooler and hence darker. no big discovery there.

but hot spots / burner size matching only comes into play when using high heat _and_ thin, poor conductor materials. ye olde' thin stainless - including copper bottom RevereWare is a prime example. you get the pan hot, you reduce the heat setting to match the task, heat flows, nothing burns. it's what heat does.
My mother taught me to cook on a wood burning stove. Place more wood in the stove and take the lid off and place the pan right over the fire. Direct heat. She also cooked with some very thin aluminum pots from the depression days. The kind that the man that came around and repaired any pots with a washer and screw. When she got a gas stove, she still have the same pans. My sister and I bought her a new set. She had a difficult time adjusting to the heat of the gas and the thickness of her pans that took up longer to heat. But she still managed to make some fantastic meals. I still say it is the cook, not the pan or stove, or even the type of heat that determines the quality of a meal.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #133
Certified Pretend Chef

All of the above serves to make the point that tools don't make the cook. If they did, I'd be a better cook.

If you've cooked on a gas stove all your life and have to switch to an electric stove, You'll adapt. If you're used to cast iron and switch to carbon steel or non-stick coated, you'll adapt. People have been adapting for quite a long time. It's not that hard.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #134
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
All of the above serves to make the point that tools don't make the cook. If they did, I'd be a better cook.

If you've cooked on a gas stove all your life and have to switch to an electric stove, You'll adapt. If you're used to cast iron and switch to carbon steel or non-stick coated, you'll adapt. People have been adapting for quite a long time. It's not that hard.
True, but you might burn a meal or two while learning the new tools.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #135
Sous Chef

he who does not learn from experience will burn food forever.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #136
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
he who does not learn from experience will burn food forever.
So I'm damned to burn't food forever?

Andy get's it. Adapt.

Food + Heat = Cooking.

The results are on the chef/cook.

10 chefs = 11 ways to fix it.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #137
Cook

Preaching to the choir. I have RA in both hands and use a lot of Revere Ware and feel hampered not one bit. Pre-RA and in kitchens I worked never saw a piece of bare cast iron and not all that much enameled cast iron. Schooled and apprenticed in Europe.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #138
Master Chef

. . .
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2015, 08:48 PM   #139
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStanford View Post
Preaching to the choir. I have RA in both hands and use a lot of Revere Ware and feel hampered not one bit. Pre-RA and in kitchens I worked never saw a piece of bare cast iron and not all that much enameled cast iron. Schooled and apprenticed in Europe.
Don't you think you've gone on enough about this? If you don't want to use cast iron, then fine - don't. But this insistence that your way is the only way shows a dogmatic lack of curiosity and openness to new ideas, not a superiority of training.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #140
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Don't you think you've gone on enough about this? If you don't want to use cast iron, then fine - don't. But this insistence that your way is the only way shows a dogmatic lack of curiosity and openness to new ideas, not a superiority of training.
Thank you. I think everything that could be said, has been. Let's move on. He doesn't like CI, most of the members here do. "Nuf said.

Closed Thread

Tags
cast iron