"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I will have to try the red velvet cake with beets instead of food coloring. My grandson can't have red dye.
I forgot to post the link to the red velvet cake. Sorry!

Recipe for Red Velvet Cake – All Natural Red Velvet Cake – No Dye

Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef

That MC is right down my alley! Thank you. I don't like acerbic chutney so this will be great.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 AM   #13
Sous Chef

You can make a wonderful chocolate cake with beetroot as well Addie. Think 'carrot cake' method. It's great for kids as well as grown ups. I can post the recipe if you like or you can google it easily as well

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I love beets and I never knew about original red velvet cake with BEETS! YUM!

Beet chutney sounds terrific too! Thank you for the recipe!
Kathleen, red velvet cake using beets for the color came as necessity. In the '30s, Depression Era, food colorings as we know them weren't available so cooks had to make do and, being resourceful, they discovered that beets would give the result desired.

It wasn't too far a stretch to go from dyeing eggs with onion skins, and cabbage leaves to considering including ingredients to color their creations. Continues to reinforce: Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Kathleen, red velvet cake using beets for the color came as necessity. In the '30s, Depression Era, food colorings as we know them weren't available so cooks had to make do and, being resourceful, they discovered that beets would give the result desired.

It wasn't too far a stretch to go from dyeing eggs with onion skins, and cabbage leaves to considering including ingredients to color their creations. Continues to reinforce: Necessity is the mother of invention.
Or, you can just make chocolate velvet cake (my go-to cake). I always combine the soda and vinegar over the bowl because it foams. I made this for the 50th b'day party and the women all asked for the recipe.

Chocolate Velvet Cake Recipe - Cooking | Add a Pinch

I use a different frosting, which I think I posted the link for around V'day--frosting recipe without powdered sugar.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I happen to have all of the ingredients, except I will wait until the end of the season when the apples come in to make this. In the meantime, I'm juicing beets with carrots, celery, cucumber, and lettuce. I love beet juice! But then, I love beets--raw, pickled, roasted, in Borscht, beet and herring potato salad...haven't met a beet recipe I didn't like, yet (oops...didn't like the beet wine experiment...but the beet vinegar has promise...).
Love beetroot with herrings. In fact I had some of both as part of my dinner tonight.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #17
Cupcake

Quote:

I've dyed eggs with natural dyes, but never knew about the Red Velvet Cake. It was a family favorite for years. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:

In Britain (and I suppose the US, as well) sugar was a very expensive until well into the 19th century so other ways of sweetening food were used. Carrots, parsnips, beetroot and similar sweet vegetables were frequently used in cake making. The practice began to die out in Britain after the tax on sugar was removed in the 1870s although it still hangs on in the practice of using grated carrots in traditional Christmas pudding recipes and in recipes for sweet dishes during WWII sugar rationing (I have a very weird recipe from 1944 for a mock apricot tart using carrots!). Veg in cakes was re-introduced (as something of a novelty) from North America relatively recently.

American carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is very popular here.

Tags
beets