"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Condiments

Old 12-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
But have you tried a chicken, apricot jam and mayonnaise sandwich? Mmm!
Thanks MC......it happens that we're having chicken sandwiches for dinner tonight.
Half of it will be apricot jam and half orange Marmalde. I really like cranberry sauce on a chicken sandwich too. Hmm, I might have to have three half sandwiches.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I think it is because we have a bountiful product in the summer. And when it comes harvest time, we hate waste with a passion. One tree of lemons can produce enough product in one season to last a lifetime almost. My girlfriend in California who has a Myer Lemon tree in her front yard does not can. So she invites any and all who are even just passing by to help themselves when the tree is loaded with fruit. Everyday her husband has to go out to pick up the fallen fruit and toss it out to keep the hornets away.

When we plant in the spring, we don't just plant a few seeds, we plant a couple of packages. Way more than we can possibly eat during the harvest. So we can. We don't even want to waste those seeds. We do have three areas that have perfect year round weather for growing. Texas, Florida and California.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. I wasn't questioning the whole preserving thing. I was querying the canning of jams & marmalade. Here we prepare the fruit and sugar in the usual way, then boil to a set, pour the hot jam into sterilised jars. End of story but I gather you follow this up with the caning procedure and wondered why. Our jams, etc., keep well without any deterioration in quality without the final processing but we have a temperate climate. I know that in many areas of the USA the summers are hotter and more humid and wondered if that was the issue.

I don't grow much apart from the apple trees and some wild sloe (blackthorn) trees that formed the old boundary (they go into sloe gin!) but in the summer I make a point of going to the local greengrocers late on Saturday afternoon (they are closed on Sunday) buy my fruit and veg for the weekend and smile sweetly and usually walk away with a tray of something at a very low price. Depending on the quality of the fruit I'll make jam or chutney with my finds - just ripe or a little under ripe = jam. Very ripe or going over in parts, I cut away any damaged or bruised areas and make fruit chutneys to have over the winter with cold meats or cheese. Last year I was lucky enough to get a whole box of mangos (about 10lbs in weight after I'd removed the pits!) for 1($1.50) and made mango chutney to have with curries. We don't can these after potting up either.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

My first husband love orange marmalade. I found it to be too bitter for my taste. But then I am not a very big fan of jellies and jams anyway.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #34
Head Chef

Love it ! Love basting baked chicken, ham etc but the best is on a hot fresh out of the oven biscuit.
I have always been going to try making it but never have. always make strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and apricot jams
Is there a lemon marmalade. I could think of a lot of uses for that.
hmm its only lil after 7am and still got time to make a batch of biscuit for breakfast before work.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've made kumquat marmalade and grapefruit marmalade. Any citrus can be marmaladed (is that a word?)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I've made kumquat marmalade and grapefruit marmalade. Any citrus can be marmaladed (is that a word?)
Yup, as I mentioned on an earlier post, my grandparents made a wonderful mixed marmalade from their lemon, orange and grapefruit trees.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was getting Orange marmalade from an import shop. Made in Spain with seville oranges and brandy...OMG!!!! It was the best stuff ever. The shop closed, darn it!

Hi Princess,
Find a recipe and I will make you some.
I have a Seville Orange Tree in my back yard.

Josie
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Love it ! Love basting baked chicken, ham etc but the best is on a hot fresh out of the oven biscuit.
I have always been going to try making it but never have. always make strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and apricot jams
Is there a lemon marmalade. I could think of a lot of uses for that.
hmm its only lil after 7am and still got time to make a batch of biscuit for breakfast before work.
Yes, you can make lemon marmalade. Here you are.

Lemon marmalade | BBC Good Food

Only a small amount from this recipe but you don't want to make too much until you decide if you like it.

NB I don't know if you have the term "granulated" sugar in the States. It's the coarse grained everyday white sugar you put in tea or coffee sugar. You could use "preserving" sugar if you want but I think it's an extra expense and not really necessary in citrus marmalades.

I sometimes add a slug of gin as the two flavours go well together. A couple of tablespoons at the end of boiling sounds a very small amount but it does make a difference (not enough to affect your driving )
Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Hi Princess,
Find a recipe and I will make you some.
I have a Seville Orange Tree in my back yard.

Josie
Thank you, Josie! I'll take a look around.

Tags
orange, orange marmalade