"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks essie. i always have too many tomatoes in the summer. never thought of dehydrating them.
i am going to try nectarines and cantelope next, since they are on sale this week, and i had a few; very sweet.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thumbs up

I've done jerky in the dehydrator but prefer our smoker for that. BUT whenever I find mushrooms at a decent price I buy a bunch, slice them and dry them - boy do they come in handy especially for red sauce!

The pineapple sounds wonderful! And, I'm told, it's the best thing you can eat to flush toxins of any sort out of your system. My MIL was on Prednisone and her Dr. told her to eat pineapple to get it out of her system.

When I use my steamer to make jellies I spread out the remaining pulp to dry for fruit strips.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
My husband's favorite is dried nectarines. I've tried doing bananas, soaked them in pineapple juice and they were really good. But my kids were expecting the harder ones like in the grocery store. Someone told me the banana slices have to be soaked in some kind of coconut oil to get that crunch and flavor of store bought. I know my dehydrator came with a cookbook but I haven't a clue where it is! :)
Old 03-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i remember reading on another foodie site (gasp, yes, sadly i have internet baggage 8-) ) that the banana slices were soaked in a simple syrup to get them to crunch when dehydrated. but i've never tried it. i would imagine it also adds a lot of sweetness. for health purposes, i could do without the extra refined sugars. i'm gonna have to find out about the oil thing.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #15
Certified Executive Chef

Sizz, someone gave me one as well. I used it several times, but it really took a long time for dehydrate things, I remember peaches took 36 hours, tomatoes probably about the same. If there is no receipe book along with it, remember the more moisture in the fresh/raw product, the longer it takes to dehydrate. google dehydrator, perhaps recipes will come up. I sold mine in a garage sale. There were recipes for jerky, herbs, fruit roll-ups.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

Remember one thing about dehydrating food ... it takes time - the temp is just high enough to evaporate the moisture as it migrates to the surface but too low to cook the food (about 110-F or so). And, the more moisture in the food, and the thicker it is, the longer it will take.

I did tomatoes .... and depending on when they were harvested (the moisture content) ... they took from 3-7 days. Of course, if I was "sun drying" them .... it would have taken several weeks.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Should you peel and seed tomatoes before drying? What about pureeing and making tomato leather? If you go that route should you reduce to a paste befire drying?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #18
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrfectlydevine
Should you peel and seed tomatoes before drying? What about pureeing and making tomato leather? If you go that route should you reduce to a paste befire drying?
Purr never tried that, but I imagine it would work. If my memory is not failing, the fruit was pureed before spreading on the plastic sheet.