Buying a new dishwasher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaZ

Senior Cook
Hi all - I am buying a new dishwasher - not by choice. :mad: I've had a Samsung dishwasher for about 2 years and it has finally just fallen apart. I have been researching and shopping and have narrowed my choice down to two appliances - one Whirlpool, one Kitchen Aid. I'd like to hear from those who have WP and KA dishwashers on how you like them, how do they clean, what problems you've had and how well they hold up to daily wasing, to include, broken plastic parts, wheels falling off, basket lifters breaking, etc. Hopefully this WILL be the LAST dishwasher I have to buy. Thanks for your help.

Hated my KA, it never cleaned things well and the configuration of the trays and basket were not to my liking. I am on my second Whirlpool and I LOVE it. I prefer the cutlery tray on the door of the washer and it seems to have more room for everything I need. This new one has a little window to tell me I need more JetDry and my dishes have been amazingly clean. I use the High Temp wash and let them air dry as much as possible.

I'm probably no help, because my DW old by DW standards (I guess), but I have a Whirlpool that's about 9-1/2 years old. I run it on average 2-3x/week and not a hint of a problem. And I'm on a well. These DW threads are scaring me because mine would need replaced immediately should it ever fail. I did not like to hear the short life everyone is having with theirs recently.
I would call a repair shop that services several brands and ask their opinion on the good makes out there. That is what I intend to do on my refrigerator when it finally kicks the bucket. It's been a real piece of garbage since I got it, also about ten years ago. The last time it was getting worked on I had a nice talk with the repairman on what makes he services most. It changes yearly he said.

Oh yeah, +1 on the door silverware holder. No need to worry on which end faces up because you lay it out flat and unhinge it to empty it. You can even take the basket off if you want to.

Whirlpool owns the market....They bought KA several years back ...I think....They also make the Sears Kenmore Line.....So which ever one has the features you like.......
That being said....between the two....based on long ago past experiences....Go with the Whirlpool.....HTH

I don't know about DW but my washer/dryer are Whirlpool and I love them. I did a lot of research too. Just from that little experience I'd go with Whirlpool.

I think the WP has my vote too. I like the idea of the cutlery rack on the door, and there are less plastic parts on the one I'm looking at, so hopefully no breakage. The Samsung has plastic basket adjusters that also stabilze the top rack, once the little clips break off, the top rack falls off - I'm on my second set of basket lifters! The whole top rack assembly just fell off for the third time, with a basket full of glasses - gotta buy new glasses too.

This one also has the stainless steel tall tub and the option for heated or air dry. The SS does steam dry and sometimes the wooden handle parts come out damp, which I don't like because of bacterial growth - I'm kind of a nut about that.

I have a WP washer and dryer and I haven't had a bit of trouble with them. The rest of my SS appliances work well and I love them - the DW is just awful. Thanks everyone for your input - I'm buying the WP.

This last months Consumers Report reviewed Dishwashers - you might want to have a look. I have a KA that is about 4 years old and it does a fine job cleaning. But...

There is no good way to load cereal bowls and it's a bit noisy imo.

I would go with the Whirpool dishwasher.
Where I live, Whirlpool is the more popular brand. That means it's easier to find someone who has experience with the ins and outs of the brand and knows how to fix it when something goes wrong, it's easier to find parts for that brand of dishwasher, etc. ;)

Well, went with the Whirlpool. New one coming Saturday. Except for the price -( it was on sale when I went back to buy it,) the whole process was pretty painless. What I saved on the dishwasher, I can pay for the installation - nice trade. And i did get the 3 year extended warranty this time.

When the SS basket lifters finally broke completely it was 14 months old - out of warranty - nobody wanted to take responsibility even though the screws were falling out, basket lifters breaking, the top slide assembly was falling apart - sounds like a manufacturing defect to me. Oh well, it's now water under the dishwasher so to speak - ;)

Whirlpool owns kitchen aid. Internally speaking the high end whirlpools have mostly the same pieces. The rack configuration is different as noted by others. WP being lower end will be loud(roughly 55-60 db) compared to KA which starts in low 50's. I hate, repeat hate the adjust rack in the classic series. The upper two are good.
Overall, repair wise shouldn't make a difference. Stainless tub to me is a must. The whirlpool GUxxxx series is good, close to KA w/out the cost.

Back
Top Bottom