On buying a durable dishwasher safe pot or pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAPyessir6

Senior Cook
I have had Revereware pots for a few years now (I like them, sure they heat unevenly but they're durable as anything and dishwasher safe enough for me) and am looking to add to my collection and get a few more higher quality pans. What stumps me, however, is that most all pans I find that you can use metal utensils on (Not nonstick: think like All Clad/Made in/Darto etc.) are not dishwasher safe. I looked into both All Clad and Made In, and while the former says dishwasher safe, both brands actually have a rolled edge at the top of the pot which, when exposed to detergents, eventually corrodes from these harsh chemicals.

Long story short: what's a good pan that can both take a beating from metal utensils and also be put in the dishwasher after a soak and a scrub? Or has anyone had All Clad for awhile and found it's actually dishwasher safe? Is there a pan out there that works? Any advice would be wonderful.

Ive had 2 All Clad nonstick skillets for like 12 years and they always go in the dishwasher and they are still perfect. Most of my cookware is 30 year old All Clad and its still shiny and perfect. It all goes into the dishwasher.

Try Cookware and More's website for good deals.

I’m more than satisfied with the vintage copper bottom stainless steel Revere Ware pots that I’ve collected over the years at estate sales, thrift shops, garage sales, etc…

Continue to experiment until you find something that you are satisfied with.

Good luck!

“Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.” – Voltaire

Though I wash many of my pots and pans by hand, I sometimes put my SS pans in the DW, and have had no problems with any of the brands of SS - All Clad, Cuisinart, and Calphalon. That said, one thing you don't want to put in the DW is the old Calphalon anodized aluminum - that stuff can't withstand alkaline water, which is what is in a DW machine. A friend of mine, who moved away, that had Calphalon pots for years, had the surface taken off by the local, high alkaline water, after several months of hand washing! All Clad has said that their anodized aluminum pots are DW proof now, but others might not be. But I don't see how total stainless (or the tri-y) would have a problem.

Those Cuisinart tri-ply pans are some of my favorites, and were some of the best buys I got way back. The handles feel really good, and they have a slight curve on the lips of the pans, to help pour liquids.

Last edited:
I have All-Clad SS and Circulon non-stick...all of them go in the dishwasher, if there's room. DH is in charge of dishes and he'll load whatever is possible, into that dishwasher. The only things that cannot go into the dishwasher would be the glass lids for the Circulon pans.

multi-ply stainless steel.
3 ply
4 ply
5 ply
100 ply . . .

the plies are "internal" and don't affect what happens with the external layers - in the dishwasher or under the mixer beaters . . .

I have Lagostina stainless steel pots. When my dishwasher was working, I always put them in the dishwasher. It never caused any problems. DH bought that set of pots almost 34 years ago and they are still in great shape. I'm very fond of them.

I’m probably not the person to help you here.
Anything I really care about, (my cast iron and my nice other pans) get hand-wash attention.
All the cheap rubbish that I have acquired and rarely use can be found in the dishwasher when it’s used, which is very unlikely.

I can honestly say I've never, other than the occasional glass lid, ever put a pot or pan in a dishwasher. First of all, there is rarely any room, secondly after seeing what happened to several of my mother's pans after my brother put them in, no thanks. Besides, by the time you prep them of their residue, why not just add a bit of soap and it's done anyhow! I've never understood that.

I’m probably not the person to help you here.
Anything I really care about, (my cast iron and my nice other pans) get hand-wash attention.
All the cheap rubbish that I have acquired and rarely use can be found in the dishwasher when it’s used, which is very unlikely.
Me too.

I can honestly say I've never, other than the occasional glass lid, ever put a pot or pan in a dishwasher. First of all, there is rarely any room, secondly after seeing what happened to several of my mother's pans after my brother put them in, no thanks. Besides, by the time you prep them of their residue, why not just add a bit of soap and it's done anyhow! I've never understood that.
Exactly. I am the same way with my knives (except for butter knives or course).

At Wyndham resorts they have Ballerini cookware. It's lightweight, durable, non-stick, and goes in the dishwasher. If it can hold up with 100s of guests per year, it's good quality stuff (made in Italy of course).

I have some great pots and pans that I will never put in the dishwasher and in the event that I get so old they become cumbersome (some are cast iron or enameled cast iron) and I need something lighter, or if they wear out, I will likely buy the Ballerini.

I have quality cookware. The only thing I don't put in the DW is cast iron. Clad stainless steel and non-stick pans go in the DW sometimes. I've had most of my cookware over 20 years and there is no visible damage to my cookware. I don't put it into the DW every time, just when I'm feeling lazy and the pan did light duty. Sometimes the food leaves a residue/stain hand washing or the DW does not remove so I use BKF to make the pan shine like new again.

I have quality cookware. The only thing I don't put in the DW is cast iron. Clad stainless steel and non-stick pans go in the DW sometimes. I've had most of my cookware over 20 years and there is no visible damage to my cookware. I don't put it into the DW every time, just when I'm feeling lazy and the pan did light duty. Sometimes the food leaves a residue/stain hand washing or the DW does not remove so I use BKF to make the pan shine like new again.
That works fine with those who have stainless. I don't like to put my enameled cast iron or regular cast iron in there, and I also have ceramic coated that says it's dishwasher safe but I don't trust it.

I know you aren't using Bar Keeper's on your non-stick!

I'm a lot like Andy in this regard. I don't use the DW for cast-iron or for ceramic-covered cast-iron. I also do not put in my mother's mixing bowls or vintage hand-painted items, but they are always a quick clean up. I don't place in anything made of aluminum or wood.

Everything else: If it fits, it sits in the DW. Everything. China, crystal, silver, silver-plate, stainless and even non-stick. Never had a discoloration or a problem. I was hesitant on silver, but my friend who is a silversmith said, "That is ridiculous. Put them in. They will develop a lovely patina over time." They still look like they always looked to me. My dishwasher does not have a flatware basket though. Everything is in a rack, so no worries about scratching.

As for very good knives, I tend to handwash them....but I will not deny that I have never put them in - except for the couple that are not SS.

BKF is my buddy too. :D

Here's another tip for people putting their silverware in the dishwasher.
Use separate pocket/baskets for real silver and your everyday stainless. When they touch there is a reaction which will cause spotting and rust. Can't remember all the details but when I started separating them - what a difference!

Plus, china (or glassware) with real gold trim is also a no, no for dishwashers. The gold will eventually be worn off.

Not funny when you have an enormously expensive Limoges China with gold trim... :rolleyes: :mad::cry:

I have Limoges luncheon plates with matching cups with gold trim. I put them in the DW but do not have them heated to dry. They turned out fine as do my silver trimmed which are washed and dried.

Stainless is significantly harder than silver so can easily scratch it. Keeping it separate is wise. That is why I love the rack - nothing touches.

Lots of things can affect silver - like many foods, etc. (Acidic foods, eggs, salt, etc.) So you should absolutely clean it with soft cotton or non-abrasive items. I do have a natural, soft horse-hair brush to use if I need to dig something out of crevices. Other than the DW, I use soft (cotton) rags to clean my silver.

That works fine with those who have stainless. I don't like to put my enameled cast iron or regular cast iron in there, and I also have ceramic coated that says it's dishwasher safe but I don't trust it.

I know you aren't using Bar Keeper's on your non-stick!
When I got my first dishwasher, I put one enamelled cast iron pot in it. When the cycle was done, I pulled out the clean dishes. I was horrified to find that the bottom (naked) of my enamelled cast iron pot was rusty. I have never put any cast iron in a DW since then. I also noticed several months later, that the printed on pattern on some glasses had faded quite a lot. The environment in a dishwasher is fairly harsh. I wouldn't put enamelled cast iron in the DW, even the stuff that has enamel on the bottom. I would worry what the dishwashing liquid was doing to the enamel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom