Can someone identify the name of this container for me please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rasputin

Assistant Cook
I need help finding out what type or the name of this container is called. This container has been used by my naany(grandmother) in recent years then it was given to my auntie. I just wanted to know what is it called? When my naany made Indian Chapattis in it she would line the container with a kitchen towel of paper towel. And after she is done with the chapatti she would place it in said container and cover it with the cloth then the lid to keep the steam and heat in. I'm not really looking for a replacement for it but rather just the name. I am moving out on my own soon and I want one just like it. Here are some pictures of it:
img_1116683_0_acf0d15bf25e534bddfd1fc613086694.jpg

img_1116683_1_0edd684ba92cef7be0b0529a108193a5.jpg

img_1116683_2_39df5a54a26c2b5935c14aa888f6ebce.jpg

And I'm sorry for the bad quality :wacko: but this was shot with an old camera in natural light.

I don't know what it is called but I might have found one in the basement last night. :)

I don't know what it is called but I might have found one in the basement last night. :)

RLY? :O Is there a name at the bottom? With the name of the brand maker? Ours was melted/burt off long ago. As you can tell we use this container everyday. (It's not dirty just worn out lol)
I would be so in dept to you if you did that for me.

After going down there to have a look, while the lid is similar is shape, I suspect mine is just a plastic bowl with a weird lid. :ermm:

Seeing that you said that your Gran used it for for flat breads, I would say that it is a ceramic version of a tortilla warmer. Either that or a crock pot insert. Oh......but to be more sure we would need the size and depth first.

It resembles some of the old Rival crock pot inserts, but not with that stoneware lid. Perhaps it was simply a baking pot that originally had a wicker basket to put the hot pot in for table service.

Well it is made of a plastic material but it use to be white. But with all the use it is now a deep tan. but the top and bottom were made for eachother, I can say that. But it might just be an insert like people have said so far. I might look it up. But in the mean time I will look up tortilla warmers.

ooo how lovely. I have that same one ya know? I always loved it. Its the same model I think but a bit older. Thank you for the link. I'm going to buy it right now!

Well it is made of a plastic material but it use to be white. But with all the use it is now a deep tan. but the top and bottom were made for eachother, I can say that. But it might just be an insert like people have said so far. I might look it up. But in the mean time I will look up tortilla warmers.

The instant I saw the first picture in the OP I thought tortilla warmer. Except it looked like ceramic and I've never seen one that's ceramic. But now that you say it is plastic I'm almost certain it is made for keeping tortillas or some other flat bread warm. I've been served warm tortillas in something looking exactly like that (but less aged) in Mexican restaurants. If it were ceramic the container would cool off. The lighter weight of the plastic insulates it so that the contents will stay warm.

It's a tortilla warmer. Or maybe they have similar containers in other cultures, so perhaps it's a flat bread warmer etc.

Back
Top Bottom