Can someone explain to me why this is funny?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I came across this Far Side comic, and I just don't get it. I'm not sure if I'm stupid, ignorant or it's just referencing something I know nothing about. Normally I wouldn't care, but it's the type of thing that is racing through my mind, so I just want to put it to bed so I can go to bed. Other people I've showed it to said "It's just funny", but I can't accept that. It has to be more than that ( to someone). I see a frog, the swamp thing and the caption " Go get em, brother". What am I missing ?

Attachments

• WechatIMG10325.jpg
    WechatIMG10325.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 40
1697795891626.jpeg

but here I go. 😉

I see the frog as sort of a Walter Mitty character that fantasizes about a more exciting life.

The frog sees the highly evolved swamp thing as his way to realize those fantasies vicariously through the monster.

I have to admit that it was much funnier before I attempted to make sense of it. 🤭

Well, the frog could represent a small fish in a big pond and a bigger frog (lagoon creature) taking charge of the whole pond, the apex predator. That's my take on it. lol

I don't get it either. I have heard of the swamp thing, but I am not familiar with the comic book series. The date on that picture is in 1981, so it can't be about the more recent TV series. Maybe it has something to do with the frog being green too?

I came across this Far Side comic, and I just don't get it. I'm not sure if I'm stupid, ignorant or it's just referencing something I know nothing about. Normally I wouldn't care, but it's the type of thing that is racing through my mind, so I just want to put it to bed so I can go to bed. Other people I've showed it to said "It's just funny", but I can't accept that. It has to be more than that ( to someone). I see a frog, the swamp thing and the caption " Go get em, brother". What am I missing ?
Nope. It's not funny to me, either. And I love "The Far Side".

I believe it's a take off on The Creature From The Black Lagoon and he's seeing him off so he can get back at all those people who eat frog legs. Could also be a proud parent sending off their pride n joy to take on the world-- probably all of that stuff all rolled into one.

Doesn't do anything for me either.

Yeah, my son says basically the same thing.

Because the frog is puny and can do nothing.
He wants to wreak havoc, but can't.
He will live vicariously through swamp monster.

The main reason it doesn't make sense is the creature is a reptile (notice the scales), while the frog is an anphibian, so they aren't related in any way, shape, or form.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom