Now I've done it or why I was never my mother's favorite child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
Why? Just why?

For those who missed the first part of this, I did my monthly shopping and STUFFED the freezer. I had two pork loins that were on sale so in trying to fit everything else into the freezer, I stuck the two pork loins (1.5lbs each) into the shelf on the freezer door.

This shelf only has a bar going across it to keep things in. I'm sure you know where this is going.

Anyway, come to open the freezer this morning and as expected, the pork loins froze in the shelf. But before they did, they partially slid down under the bar. Short of destroying the bar or letting everything in the freezer thaw, I have no way to get the pork loins out unless you wonderful people have any solution.

After you quit rolling on the floor laughing, that is.

What a bummer. If they are REALLY stuck there after the hair dryer, then open the door fully, tape some cardboard over the face of the freezer. Now let them thaw with the door hanging wide open?

I don't think anyone is laughing. That sucks. It's the kind of thing that would happen to me.

I think a combination of dragn's and blissful's suggestions would be a good idea. If you happen to have any sheet styrofoam, that would probably be even better than cardboard. But, I think protecting the main part of the freezer with cardboard (or styrofoam) and then going at the pork loins with a hairdryer would be the way to handle it. I will think about this an try come up with other ideas.

What is the bar on your freezer door made of? Is it some kind of plastic, like many (most?) of them? Or is it something made of metal or something else?

You should probably take the other stuff near the pork loins out of the door of the freezer and put them in the fridge while you foof with the hairdryer.

I did have a giggle, as things like that could easily happen to me ;)

Like @taxlady says, can you remove the other items in the freezer? Then put in cooler boxes or cover with duvets and get to work on the pork loins.

or cover with duvets - that's what I have done with coolers, Badjak. Helps to keep them cooler a bit longer.

RR - the hair dryer really works well and won't take very long.

I've defrosted an entire humongous upright freezer with up to 2" of ice in places, 4 separate shelves. All done, things put back and in under an hour.

You will probably be able to still freeze them. If they were well wrapped they won't even be defrosted. Maybe a bit on the edge being attacked, but nothing that would affect the meat from being thrown back in.

Good luck. I know it would be an expensive loss and that hurts (been there). Hoping the advice here works for you!

@rodentraiser I really want to know how it all turned out and that you didn't have one slip out from the freezer door and break your foot. that you haven't gotten back to us because you bought a lottery ticket and you are now a billionaire.
How's that @dragnlaw ?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Guys, I don't know how to break this to you all...but my fridge is just as stuffed as the freezer, maybe more so now because I did take a couple of things out to thaw, and I don't have a hair dryer. I also don't have a cooler or any duvets.

And the bar is metal.

I think what I'll do is eat everything in the freezer first and when it's empty, I'll thaw the pork.

Of course, I have butter in the freezer, too, and I don't think I'm going to eat up a whole - wait a minute! Shortbread cookies!

No, blissful, the reason I haven't been back sooner is because I've been moving things around in my trailer. I had my bedroom set up in the 7 x 9 living room, but now that my storage rental fee is going up, I need to get everything out of storage. That means moving the bedroom up into the front half of the trailer where it belongs.

I just got through moving my computer from the kitchen table to the computer desk and I never knew I knew so many swear words. Tomorrow I'm taking the dining table and the remaining seat out of the trailer so I can move my chopping block out of the living room and closer to the kitchen. It has the oven on it (the trailer oven doesn't work) and after January, I'll be looking for a table to put my oven on (so I can have my chopping block back), a couple of lamps, and, finally, a full sized fridge, since I'll have the room for it once I get rid of the trailer table.

Meantime, this place is now trashed like it is every time I try to make "improvements". But I have a headache and I don't care. I still have tomorrow to deal with all the mess.

But, blissful, I like your version of things a whole lot more. The second version, that is.

Now if I could just find something to eat for supper.

Last edited:
Guys, I don't know how to break this to you all...but my fridge is just as stuffed as the freezer, maybe more so now because I did take a couple of things out to thaw, and I don't have a hair dryer. I also don't have a cooler or any duvets.

And the bar is metal.

I think what I'll do is eat everything in the freezer first and when it's empty, I'll thaw the pork.

Of course, I have butter in the freezer, too, and I don't think I'm going to eat up a whole - wait a minute! Shortbread cookies!

No, blissful, the reason I haven't been back sooner is because I've been moving things around in my trailer. I had my bedroom set up in the 7 x 9 living room, but now that my storage rental fee is going up, I need to get everything out of storage. That means moving the bedroom up into the front half of the trailer where it belongs.

I just got through moving my computer from the kitchen table to the computer desk and I never knew I knew so many swear words. Tomorrow I'm taking the dining table and the remaining seat out of the trailer so I can move my chopping block out of the living room and closer to the kitchen. It has the oven on it (the trailer oven doesn't work) and after January, I'll be looking for a table to put my oven on (so I can have my chopping block back), a couple of lamps, and, finally, a full sized fridge, since I'll have the room for it once I get rid of the trailer table.

Meantime, this place is now trashed like it is every time I try to make "improvements". But I have a headache and I don't care. I still have tomorrow to deal with all the mess.

But, blissful, I like your version of things a whole lot more. The second version, that is.

Now if I could just find something to eat for supper.
Awww, dangit. That totally blows.

Time to research salt curing and other methods of preserving foods? Or invite some friends, neighbors or the like over to eat. Sigh.

I remember years ago when I first moved to the midwest and my car became encased in ice and I couldn't get the door open. I threw a bucket of hot water on it. I guess you would have to have a large pan with sides underneath the freezer door for that to work...

RR, maybe you could borrow a hair dryer from a neighbour. I understand that you don't have space in the fridge or duvets, but do you have a cooler or some quilts or blankets you could use for an hour or three? Good luck with whatever you decide.

It seems the pork loins got stuck in the freezer door shelf due to their weight and the shelf design. To retrieve them without thawing everything, try using a hairdryer to gently warm the area around the pork loins. This might loosen the ice and allow you to pull them out. Be patient and avoid using excessive force to prevent damage. Once they are free, consider rearranging items to avoid a similar situation in the future.

It seems the pork loins got stuck in the freezer door shelf due to their weight and the shelf design. To retrieve them without thawing everything, try using a hairdryer to gently warm the area around the pork loins. This might loosen the ice and allow you to pull them out. Be patient and avoid using excessive force to prevent damage. Once they are free, consider rearranging items to avoid a similar situation in the future.
Hey Justin, that's a good suggestion but someone else already offered that advice and @rodentraiser replied he doesn't have a hairdryer.

fridge/freezer doors are typically vacuum molded plastic.
the "bars" on the bins are inserted _after_ the piece is molded.
so the problem is to figure out how the "bars" are inserted and held in place.

bars that have been in-serted can be de-serted . . .
....usually

fridge/freezer doors are typically vacuum molded plastic.
the "bars" on the bins are inserted _after_ the piece is molded.
so the problem is to figure out how the "bars" are inserted and held in place.

bars that have been in-serted can be de-serted . . .
....usually
Yes, those bars usually are moulded plastic, but RR already wrote.
And the bar is metal.

Well, in my experience the bars in an upright freezer are plastic arms with a metal bar/panel across. they were not intended to come off and bending the metal a forcing the plastic could only lead to something not looked forward to.
At least those with molded shelves part of the shape of the door panel itself.

But then you could have a fully metal shelf that hooked in the door panel. Also not intended to removed without damage.

In either case, rodentraiser! How goes the battle?
You posted on Wednesday, today is Sunday.
Are you cooking up a storm for tomorrow's feast of absolutely everything in your freezer?

How many of us can you fit in your trailer for that glutinous feast? Should we bring our own cutlery? How are you for plates? Chairs?

bliss is absolutely correct, rodentraiser, I'm with you in spirit too - if you don't mind my spirit drooling a bit thinking of those roasts.
Happy Holidays!

Hey, guys! I've just been going nuts over deliveries and things. I can't remember if I told anyone what was going on with them. Here's a sampling: I stupidly got Wellcare for a Medicare plan. The doctor I chose is nowhere to be found. Then the doctor they found me was in Kent, about 70 miles from me. I wanted to unenroll and was told I needed to write a letter. I did, last month. Apparently they ignored it and sent me a card with the unexistent doctor's name. I cut it up and send it to them with a VERY strongly worded letter that it was to their advantage to UNENROLL me. NOW.
I sent that letter a week ago Friday, with overnight delivery and to be signed upon receipt. According to the tracking number, that letter reached Tampa, FL, last Thursday. But it wasn't delivered. It is now in Cleveland, Ohio, and is awaiting delivery as of yesterday. I'd sure love to see them deliver it from Cleveland.

And that was just the tip of the iceberg. Anyone want to hear about my adventures with Swiss Colony?

There is success with the freezer, though! The metal bar bends outward in the middle and so I got one pork roast out. It slid over the bar. Then it was a matter of sliding the other pork roast over (with a hammer) and bending the bar again and this pork roast slid under the bar.

Anyone can come over for eats. I won't take the kitchen table out till tomorrow or the day after. And yes, bring chairs. But I have lots of plasticware to eat with.

But I'm not cooking a roast for the Christmas. I went down to the Mexican restaurant and got a chicken tostada and chicken nachos for Christmas dinner. I also asked for them to make me a non-alcoholic margarita to go too, only because I knew they couldn't make an alcoholic one to go. Too bad, too. I sure could have used that tequila.

Jusa, I'm a she. The ultimate drama queen.

Thank you, everyone, for being with me in spirit. I was on another forum this morning (a far more contentious one than this one) and one of the posters informed me that "there's no hunger in America" and someone else told me "if children are hungry in America, it's because they have abusive parents". Well, I couldn't let that slide so I let loose a little and I did have to remind myself it was Christmas eve day, so I showed some - not a lot, but some - restraint. Then I was called a parasite who complains about free things (at the expense of the taxpayer - apparently I wasn't paying taxes my whole life when I was working, who knew LOL - just because I mentioned the $23 I get in food stamps.

So for you guys to say you're thinking of me is enough to make me start bawling a little. I wish you all the happiest of holidays and I hope you all get what you want from Santa.

And tomorrow it's chicken nachos for breakfast! Yay! Then I'm going back to bed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom