"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
Senior Cook
I beleive coils get to 13,000 BTU's ,where domestic gas and bottled gas get to 8 or 9000 BTU,S ,which is a reason I still like them. Don't know about spray oil but I get my corbon steel pan ( 7 pound DeBuyer carbon plus, 12 inch )very hot and pour in a little peanut oil ) it smokes a bit. One minute each side ,three minutes In the oven. Perfect crust on the steak. Cast iron would do the same. You must purchace pots and pans that are perfectly flat on the bottom and won't warp. If I could get natural gas which I can't I would purchace a commercial stove ,but would keep the electric wall oven ,and my wood range.

gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I'm a fan of cast iron and have used it for years. That being said, you still have to be careful as you can ruin (warp) a cast skillet if you let it get too hot for too long. Every stove heats a little differently, so I can't offer you specific settings. You will just have to experiment a little until you learn how your stove works.

As an example, I would start on the large burner (coil) at a setting of maybe 8 and let it get red. Then put the pan on and let id heat up for a couple of minutes (maybe 3) and then pop is your steak and see if it wants to sear. If not, pull the steak off immediately and let the pan heat up for another minute or two and try again. If it still doers not want to sear, then you need to crank up the heat setting another mark. Keep working up in small increments until you get the result that you want.

These numbers are probably in the ballpark; but someone who does a lot more steaks than I do might be able to give you a better method or starting point for your "steak searing" education.

As to pan cleaning, I have a lot of experience in that area and never had a lot of success with any specific product unless there was a lot of "elbow grease" involved.

Recently, I tried a tip that I had seen but never tried and it worked quite well on some "well done" split pea soup. Use some dishwasher powder in some water on a stove burner set at the lowest setting. My pot cooked for about an hour and came clear with very little scrubbing.......I was very happy with the result and and will continue to use this method on even more challenging projects that I'm sure will crop up in the future. For really bad accidents, the recommendation is to start off with hot water and powder and let sit overnight.

Note that this would be for SS or CI only and "NOT" aluminum.

You will most likely damage aluminum pots using this method.

Randy_ is offline   Reply With Quote