"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Come on, stop already. Why are you dragging this on and beating up on a dead horse? Yes, show a pic of the vent pipe, if you like.

I said what I had to say, now let it go.Stop disputing me. I know what happened. You hate to be told when you're wrong.

The electric stoves that I've used had no vent pipe for heating. End of story.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, y'all! My oven makes my kitchen/house quite warm when I use it. I have a gas cooktop and an electric oven, both of which were purchased and installed in 2000. They are not dinosaurs when it comes to technology.

Now, as far as "heating," my oven definitely can heat. There is a large vent just below the oven door. There is a fan and the excess heat is dispelled through that vent. When the oven is on for prolonged periods of time, especially in the wintertime, it's not unusual for me to see a pile of kitty cats asleep in front of the vent.

On occasion, I'll turn my oven to a high temp, let it heat up and let it heat up the kitchen. I'll even get crazy and open the oven door.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:47 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Ok. You are more than likely right about that!

Callisto keeps on disputing me. I imagine that she's talking about today's technology, like you've just explained about yours.

Electric stoves that I've used in the past didn't have that. And that's why I was saying that as long as the door stayed closed, there was no heat coming from the oven. Things probably are different today, I'm not doubting that, but not back then.

The last electric stove that I used didn't have that feature, as it more than likely was a much older model.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:36 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

I have always had old electric stoves and they all had a vent and put out heat. Katie, I know what you mean about the cats. It is like a cat magnet
Old 12-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Ok. You are more than likely right about that!

Callisto keeps on disputing me. I imagine that he's talking about today's technology, like you've just explained about yours.

Electric stoves that I've used in the past didn't have that. And that's why I was saying that as long as the door stayed closed, there was no heat coming from the oven. Things probably are different today, I'm not doubting that, but not back then.

The last electric stove that I used didn't have that feature, as it more than likely was a much older model.
Who keeps disputing who. I gave my experience, which others backed, but you kept insisting that an electric oven did not heat the house. So who's disputing who? And are you talking about STOVES or OVENS? An oven in the thing you bake in. A stove is the thing you fry an egg on.

My ovens have never had the fan that Katie's had, they have all had the pipe vent that goes up through a back burner. And it is by far and large not new technology. My first apartment that had it I occupied in 1985. The oven now is new but it's got the same vent pipe.

The original point is now and always has been the same, you are incorrect that electric ovens do not heat up the house. Period. Others agree with me yet you are the one still beating the horse and making excuses why I'm wrong and I'm the one who's lived with electric all my apartment renting life.

And I'M A FEMALE. Callisto is the name of a constilation, she was turned into said constillation because she was Zeus' lover. And I'm posting the picture tonight.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Sorry about the mixup over you being a female.

But as far as the topic goes, you can stick a fork in me, please. - I'm done. I don't want to get into this any more.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #37
Everymom

Talk about a tempest in a teapot! I can't even remember what the OP's question was to begin with. A very entertaining debate though.

Corey, since it seems to be a while since you've used an electric stove take everyone's word for it, there is a vent from the oven chamber out the back right burner. Possibly when you had an electric oven they didn't have that, or you didn't notice it.

Glad you've both decided to stop the debate. It seems like you were both "heating up" quite a bit and might be getting your feelings hurt. Perhaps if you DO continue this you will take it to PMs? Thanks all.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #38
Head Chef

Perhaps it all depends on the model of the oven.
I think most ovens probably vent to the outside; at least that
is what the government recommends. They also advise to NOT
use an oven for heating purposes.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

[quote=Alix;520340]Talk about a tempest in a teapot! I can't even remember what the OP's question was to begin with. A very entertaining debate though.

Seriously!!!!!I started this thread because I was new to electric ovens and wanted tips on how to use them correctly!!!!!!!!!But a debate kind of started in between which dragged on I should say!!!!!!!Hope a truce is called now!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Well, fleur, regardless of the little "dust up" that occurred, you still got a lot of good information and seem to have gained confidence in using your oven. Good for you. In a few months you'll be an expert. Keep on, keepin' on.