"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That isn't encouraging either. If the replacement I get doesn't last as long as I think it should, it will be my last Foodsaver. Three years of use, 2-3 times/week and time for a new one?! That doesn't seem right, but it's better than what I got.
Just remember that the customary warranty period for replacement units is only what remains of the original warranty. So, assuming a warranty of one year, if the first one lasted you 8 months, and the second one breaks any time after 4 months, you're stuck!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I love mine and I use it alot in spurts. We use it for other stuff, too, like sealing up stuff we will be taking into a wet environment and storing things in a humid or damp environment. I haven't killed one yet but have given them to my kids so I have ended up buying 4 so far. I actually like the refurbed Rival I bought at Big Lots for $30 best. It's stainless steel and very heavy, but more compact than the others. It works great, is easier to latch down closed, and is easier to get the bags lined up right to seal properly. I've been using this one for about 1 1/2 years. I had heard that vacuum sealers often have short life spans so I like the idea that when it dies, I'm only out $30!

Old 09-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
WOW, that's a lot. You must use it on everything! I can't think of that many uses.
Yep we use it on everything, even things that really don't need it because they get used so fast. We have a million of the canisters so anything that needs to be stored goes in one. Right now we have meatballs and sauce in one, parm regiano in another, crackers, cheerios, grapes, soup, and a bunch of other things. We probably go into the grapes container 4 times at day at least.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yep we use it on everything, even things that really don't need it because they get used so fast. We have a million of the canisters so anything that needs to be stored goes in one. Right now we have meatballs and sauce in one, parm regiano in another, crackers, cheerios, grapes, soup, and a bunch of other things. We probably go into the grapes container 4 times at day at least.
I have never bought the containers GB because I didn't know if I would use them enough or if they would just take up cupboard space. Now I think I need to go and buy some.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

They have their good points and bad points Fisher's Mom. They are expensive and do take up a lot of room. We also find them clumsy if they are not sealed, which is why we seal them even for things that do not really need them. Otherwise we go to pick one up and inevitably grab it by the top thinking it is sealed and the top comes off and things spill.

They come in a variety of sizes and are clear and strong though so those are some pluses.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Makes sense to seal them because I spill a lot anyway. But I do keep the Foodsaver on the counter so that's no biggie. I think I'll get a few and try. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Mine stays on the counter too. If I had to put it away and take it out each time I would never use it.

Good luck F's M. I hope it works well for you.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

Mine is on the counter and I have owned 2 in the last 10 years. And the only reason I got a second one was to upgrade the first. I have found them very durable and I use mine for just about anything. It gets used at least 3 or 4 times a week if not more. I guess every now and them you tend to get a bad apple. I would have to agree with GB's comments!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Ours stays on the counter too. I have a lot of the canisters - going to have to get more. I don't use it every day - but we use it a lot - just bought a 15 lb pork loin, divided it into 2 good sized roasts, 2 large pork "chops", 6 slices in packages of 3 (perfect for Bob and I) for katsu (Japanese pork cutlets), and a package of pork for stir fry.

I sometimes have trouble getting the canisters to seal - but it's usually because I don't have the hose in tightly. Once in a while it doesn't seem to suck out as much air as it used to - then I know it's time to clean it up inside.

I got lazy a few nights ago an put some homemade tomato feta soup in one of those Ziplock "freezer" bags that are supposed to be as good as the foodsaver bags. Then next morning Jennifer informed me that I had a problem in the freezer. Yup, the soup expanded and blew the seal on the zipper bag. Icky mess. It's now in a foodsaver bag.