"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Foodsaver stopped working

As a lot of you know, I bought a Foodsaver earlier this year. Well, it broke.
A few days ago it was not "winding out" like it does right before the motor stops and it starts sealing. It would start the sealing proocess with the bag looking exactly like it did beforehand, or maybe just a little air taken out. I called, they said try a different bag (from a different roll) and it worked. I was told sometimes you get a bad roll of bags. Then today I could not get a cannister to reseal. The motor just kept right on running no matter how many times I tried. I tried another bag from that roll that worked a few days ago. No go.
So now I need to get a box and ship it back for a replacement.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? I thought in today's age that things either break right away or they last nearly forever..... I'm not looking forward to getting a refurbished unit if that's how they do things. I recently got a replacement cell phone and the screen was all scratched up. The cell phone co. acted like this was the norm. I told them I would suffer with my current one instead and sent the replacement back.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I never told you about my Krups KP1010 pod coffee maker, did I?

I had it for about a month when the lever that holds the top down quit working, and you can't make coffee if the lid isn't locked down. So I sent it to the repair shop a few miles down the freeway from here, as instructed by customer service, with a note explaining the problem, and also requesting they make the free modifications required so that my machine could also use the cappucino pods.

Well, after two months of no coffeemaker and no messages from the repair shop, I finally called them. They said they had been waiting for the parts to do the conversion, and they never arrived, so they shipped the machine off to Krups Customer Service for replacement. A few days later, a package arrived from Medford MA, the home of Krups USA, so I got some fresh water, a coffee pod, and I opened the box, prepared to make a fresh, hot cup of coffee with my new, uh, blender?

That's right. Instead of a brand new Krups KP1010 pod coffee maker, I got a brand new Krups KB720 Blender! Beautiful blender, too. Powerful 1000 watt motor, yet it runs really quiet. Unfortunately, it makes one LOUSY cup of coffee! So I contacted customer service, and they insisted I return the blender before they'd send me a new coffeemaker, which I did last friday. Ya know what? The more I think about it, I should have kept the $150.00 blender and bought a refurbished coffeemaker for $64.95 from Amazon.com

Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Caine. Very encouraging.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Caine. Very encouraging.

I just don't want you to get your hopes up, that's all. You may just get a fabulous new electric iron!
Old 09-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Have you seen the ad regarding freezer bags being as good and efficient as the vacuum bags? I have a sealer that I don't use often, but when it goes, I'll definitely try using the bags.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Well if they sent me an iron I'd be halfway there. Then they can then send me a vaccum cleaner and I'm sure I'll "figger sumpin" out!

No, I haven't seen those freezer bags advertised. This Foodsaver keeps cheddar cheese for so long in the fridge..... I'd be surprised if they could do the same job. Do you have a name for them?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

Pacanis, I'm on my third (at least) Foodsaver in 10 years. I only use it maybe 2-3 times a month and they've only lasted maybe 3 years each.

I'm assuming that's a common life for the machines, but if other people have had theirs for years and years without it failing, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, if yours lasted less than a year, you definitely got a lemon.

Lee
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I only use it maybe 2-3 times a month and they've only lasted maybe 3 years each.
That isn't encouraging either. If the replacement I get doesn't last as long as I think it should, it will be my last Foodsaver. Three years of use, 2-3 times/week and time for a new one?! That doesn't seem right, but it's better than what I got.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Foodsavers are actually known for lasting a very very long time. I was on a vacuum packing forum a while back. 99% of the people used the Tillia Foodsaver. Many of those people had theirs for 20+ years and they were still going strong. People also raved about their customer service. Give them a call and explain the situation and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

My Foodsaver is about 6 years old and I use it at least 6 times a day, usually more. It is still working like the day I got it.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...My Foodsaver is about 6 years old and I use it at least 6 times a day, usually more. It is still working like the day I got it.

WOW, that's a lot. You must use it on everything! I can't think of that many uses.