"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Executive Chef

My current, only ever, toaster oven is one I retrieved from my mom's garage which I think we gave her for a present in the 1970's. It no longer heats evenly, broiler comes on when you least expect and it burns anything if you blink. It is useful for tuna melts and heating leftover pizza and that's about it.

I did look at a Breville TO once, guess I have selective memory about price ( and probably why I don't have one). I just looked on line. Consumer Reports gives Breville it's best rating ( 2011 article), the large size. I was surprised to find a consmer reports article as they more often than not list the report title, but expect you to subscribe or go to the library if you actually want to read it.

Well, it's on the back burner for now. At least it's on the list.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I bought the Oster Designed For Life Extra-Large Convection Countertop Oven and I've done a lot of baking, broiling, and frozen rising crust pizza making in it. I am quite content with it. In fact, the only thing I don't like about it is it's so big, it takes forever to make toast! I'm considering buying a 4 slice toaster to toast bread, bagels, English muffins, etc.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Master Chef

I bought my Cuisinart convection TO in March of '06. I can fit a standard loaf pan and 8x8 pan with ears in easily, even have a nice Polish pottery oval baking dish that works. I've done a full chicken, meatloaf, various casseroles including mac&cheese and scalloped potatoes, along with a few baked goods, all with great success. Except for that loaf of homemade, from-scratch bread. Never thought it would go to such great heights. Ah well, the loaf had a crease down the middle... However, dummy-dummy me, I rarely remember the thing has a convection feature.

When I bought the TO, the BB&B price was $150. I used one of their ubiquitous coupons (I bought in-store, you can't use them online) to get $30 off. Just checked the BB&B website and the same but newer model is $120. The new one has the control panel on the side - mine is on the bottom. Maybe the interior measure is taller? Dunno...

Good luck shopping. I don't know about you, but every appliance purchase big or little is a major production for me every time!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Perhaps I'm in the wrong discussion, but I've had this toaster oven for many, many years, maybe about 15. It's interior capacity is super. I can put two 9x5x3 loaf pans in it, or a brownie pan, and a good-sized casserole in it.

It toasts perfectly and bakes just about as good as my range oven. As for the rotisserie, I couldn't be happier. I've cooked whole 4-pound chickens on it and a pair of Cornish hens (not at the same time, of course) with no problem. In fact, Glenn regularly requests chicken on the "mary-go-round" as an entree.

Clean up isn't a problem, even with the worst spatter. Most of the components are removable and can either be hand washed or cleaned by a dishwasher. The interior? Just a good wipe-down with a soapy cloth and a follow-up with a clean damp rag is all is necessary to make it like new. I should take a picture and show what it looks like after constant use and all these years.

Purchase price...$35.00. I don't know what I'll do if it ever croaks.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
You must have misunderstood my OP.
This isn't a what do you need thread, but a thread on using toaster ovens in place of regular ovens.
I would love to have a convection oven, just a full size one. I would be concerned that the TO oven would leave a large burn on the counter top or the wall. How well are they insulated? I definitely don't trust my standard run of the mill toaster oven to not burn surrounding areas past just making toast.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:37 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would love to have a convection oven, just a full size one. I would be concerned that the TO oven would leave a large burn on the counter top or the wall. How well are they insulated? I definitely don't trust my standard run of the mill toaster oven to not burn surrounding areas past just making toast.
Mine has been sitting on the same wooden Ikea shelf for almost 18 years, and I don't see a mark under it. Nothing behind it or to the sides ever got a mark or even very warm.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mine sits on a wooden kitchen cart, it doesn't even get warm.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Great feedback.
And Sirloin, you're right, the dimensions on that oven are huge. Good point about being too big and taking to long to make toast.
Love the sounds of the rotisserie, Katie.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 10-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #29
Executive Chef

we call 'em mini ovens over here.swear by mine,use it most days & it's got a rotisserie that will take up to a 1-1.5kilo chicken & a couple of pretty good hob plates too.got it from argos,cost about 80($120)a couple of years ago.i put water in the drip tray in the bottom of the oven to reduce spatter but it's still a bugger to keep clean....told you i swear by it!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	18860   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	18861  

Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	18862  
Old 10-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a nice looking unit. And it has knobs, which I prefer over soft touch buttons.

Tags
oven