I need a rice cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bangbang

Executive Chef
I need a rice cooker. Seems my "wife" gave away or tossed out my rice cooker. I want to start making sushi again.

Well Bang - I have NO idea if this is any good or not ... but looking through the circular from Walgreens this morning they have a 3-cup rice cooker on sale for $7.99 (regular price is $9.99).

Michael in FtW said:
Well Bang - I have NO idea if this is any good or not ... but looking through the circular from Walgreens this morning they have a 3-cup rice cooker on sale for $7.99 (regular price is $9.99).

No way! I need at least a 5 cup cooker.

Rice cookers --

My mom has one. I should add it to my kitchen.

A microwave rice cooker. You toss in the rice, water, and put it in the microwave.

Rice is perfect. I do several quarts and keep in the fridge for a base with soups, veggies, "rice puddings" with stuff in the blender.

It should be easy to find. Kitchen Kaboodle, or online.

ironchef said:
If you want your rice to come out good, do NOT use a microwave rice cooker. Try both methods side by side. The electric rice cooker will beat the microwave every time.

Hmmmmmmmm . . . actuallly, I had a microwave oven. It sat on the counter and took up space for about three months without ever being used. So I boxed it up and put it in storage. Microwaves don't "cook" so much as they heat-up stuff.

Nonetheless, this microwave rice thingie seems to produce good stuff. A mix of medium grain brown, Basamati (?) and wild rice.

And now you have me looking at a conventional rice cooker! Because I don't do the microwave, and I don't do the boiling pot on the stove. Moved here about two yrs ago, and I haven't been eating rice. There's been plenty of other stuff on the menu.

I agree with mudbug. Learn to cook it on the stovetop and save the 50 bucks for some dry-packed scallops or some 15 year old Balsamic.

I always cook my rice on the stove ... but have looked at rice cookers to see what makes them so special ....

If you've got a really small kitchen with limited stove-top space then an electric rice cooker might be a nice alternative.

If you want to just toss everything into the rice cooker and forget it .... it's nicer than having to pay attention to what your doing.

From what I could gather from a couple of days of reading ... the rice cooker is really nifty in a way. You throw in rice and water and the temperature sensor monitors the temperature in the pot. When the temperature in the pot exceeds the boiling point of water .... it knows the rice has absorbed all the water and shuts off.

This equates to adding the rice and water to a pot, bringing it to a boil, slap on a lid, reduce the heat to LOW and leaving it for 20 minutes ... then removing it from the heat for 10 minutes before lifting the lid and fluffing with a fork.

My gosh - how did Asian grandma's ever make perfect rice every day before the days of Sony and Panasonic rice cookers?

Curious about differences in rice cooking

Ironchef - I don't have a rice cooker, and rice is almost a staple for our family's Sunday dinners. Can you describe the difference in taste between microawave cooked rice / rice cooker? I'm really interested to read your opinion. My family does it on the stove, cooking it in a pot, then, when the water has cooked away, moving it to a colandar and keeping it warm over a pot of boiling water while the other ingredients of the Sunday dinner finish cooking. Some in my family like rice to be "sticky" others like the grains to be elegantly separated. I only started doing it in the microwave because all my other cooking surfaces were "busy", and microwave cooking was convenient and the rice came out however I wanted it to. I only started cooking as an adult and all my cooking learning experiences were in South Africa, and we didn't have (couldn't afford!) a lot of the neat appliances that are avb. here. I developed the opinion that a rice cooker couldn't possibly be necessary, since either microwaveing or ordinary stove top cooking produced good results...that it might just be another thing marketed to unwary consumers. If I'm wrong I'd like to know.... Sandyj

For me, it's about the texture in the rice rather than the taste. The microwave rice cookers that I have tried usually makes the rice very mushy. As long as you put in the right proportions of rice to water, a rice cooker makes it consistent everytime, anytime. It also keeps the rice warm and you don't have to worry about burning or maintaining the rice because you can pretty much just start it and forget about it. However, a lower-end rice cooker will not do this as well as a higher- end one. A higher-end rice cooker can hold the rice for a long period of time without a noticeable drop in quality or texture. To me, when I'm preparing a meal, the last thing I want to have to worry about is rice unless I'm making a risotto, paella, etc.

That makes sense - thanks...

Ironchef, thanks, that makes sense to me. I can see how a busy chef would value a rice cooker. Sandyj

Back
Top Bottom