"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 23677

This is what we have from the builder, I was trying to figure out what the measurements would be in the kitchen, but not a clue...
I can't make anything out from your link but I was looking at several Dorn Homes' floor plans on their web site. Their layouts look like they're designed for stand alone refrigerators.
If possible are you able to check out any of their model homes on site to see how their appliances are set up?

You don't want to end up with a full depth fridge that sticks out like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Depth Refrigerator.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	23680  

Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
I had forgotten that my Maytag frig is almost the same as Kayelle and Souschef's. I am very happy with it and echo Kayelle's comments about the ease of using the bottom freezer. I love the freezer. I had the ice making plumbing taken out because I was on a mission of simplification of everything. That did free up a lot of space in the freezer, but that is not why I had it taken out.

My Maytag refrigerator is MRB2258XES
What was the reason you had the ice making equipment taken out Beth?
I would guess tap water quality also? Generally, water quality in the south west is like other people in the country would not believe.
We love our Maytag too in black, and a good spot to remember all of our travel fridge magnets.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I would guess tap water quality also? Generally, water quality in the south west is like other people in the country would not believe.
Kayelle,
"Water Quality in the Southwest" is an oxymoron.
Nearly everyone buys water out here.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #34
Master Chef

True that CJ. I can hardly gag down a gulp to swallow a pill. Ack.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:01 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Oh, all in all CG, you wouldn't recommend an LG french door `fridge then?
Based on our experience with our five-year-old model, I can't recommend LG. HOWEVER, they may have redesigned the model to eliminate the issues I had with temperature control or the compressor. I really like the lay-out of the bins and shelves, and am happy with the functionality of the freezer. So, you may want to do a little on-line sleuthing to find out if these issues have been resolved.

LG isn't a bad manufacturer. We've had great success with cellphones and our microwave. Over these past five years, they may have worked bugs out of their French door refrigerator too.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
We love our Maytag too in black, and a good spot to remember all of our travel fridge magnets.
Within a very short time of owning this new frig, the ice maker went berserk. I could not get it to stop making ice. Ice completely filled my freezer space. Whenever I opened the freezer drawer, ice spilled out onto the floor. When I called the service man, my intention was to have him remove the ice innards, not fix it. There are some things I have infinite patience for, but mechanical failures like this just drives me bonkers. I try to eliminate all bonker inciting features in my life.

The town of Taos' water supply is decent tasting water. I drink it out of the tap. Does have a few minerals in it though.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #37
Sous Chef

I'll stray a bit off topic here, but if you are designing a kitchen with a clean slate, you might want to consider two dish drawers instead of a single large dishwasher. Our house came with two Fisher Paykel dish drawers. I never gave it much thought until we started living with them, and we like them a lot. For everyday use we use one for dishes and one for glass ware. When we're entertaining we have a fair bit more capacity than a single dishwasher. Our house is open, so it's nice to be able to get the dishes out of sight quickly. They are a bit more than half height, so there is room for a fairly deep storage drawer below. Extremely quiet as well.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer, too. Overall, it works well and is quiet. However, when I got new dinner dishes to go with our newly renovated kitchen (eight years ago now), they did not fit in the dish drawers. Many modern dinner plates are larger than they used to be.

Also, sheet pans and platters don't fit. We've gotten used to that now and just hand-wash those things, as well as most pots and pans, but it was annoying at first.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #39
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I'll stray a bit off topic here, but if you are designing a kitchen with a clean slate, you might want to consider two dish drawers instead of a single large dishwasher. Our house came with two Fisher Paykel dish drawers. I never gave it much thought until we started living with them, and we like them a lot. For everyday use we use one for dishes and one for glass ware. When we're entertaining we have a fair bit more capacity than a single dishwasher. Our house is open, so it's nice to be able to get the dishes out of sight quickly. They are a bit more than half height, so there is room for a fairly deep storage drawer below. Extremely quiet as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have a Fisher & Paykel dish drawer, too. Overall, it works well and is quiet. However, when I got new dinner dishes to go with our newly renovated kitchen (eight years ago now), they did not fit in the dish drawers. Many modern dinner plates are larger than they used to be.

Also, sheet pans and platters don't fit. We've gotten used to that now and just hand-wash those things, as well as most pots and pans, but it was annoying at first.

Thanks for that guys, I was going to start another thread on the topic of dishwashers next. Let me see, range, micro hood, `fridge, dishwasher... did I forget anything guys?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Are you going to want a freezer? New washer and dryer?
I am guessing you are good on the basic kitchen stuff.

Tags
appliances, refrigerator