K5A question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nufsed

Assistant Cook
The K5A has not yet arrived (waiting very impatiently) but I know from the listing *4450526128* that it does not include the flat beater. I will get one (ebay, of course) but I'm wondering about materials; I seem to recall some beaters that are either stainless or aluminum, but either way bare metal. The hook that's with this unit is one of the white ones and I'm assuming that its plastic coated(?!)
My question would be: do I have a choice of materials when looking for replacement tools or, do the SS tools only fit other models?
note: I'm only refering to the tools (beaters) not "attachments" (e.g. food grinder).

Ricky
Nufsed

My tools - beater and dough hook - are aluminum. I've seen the white ones. They are coated and can go into the dishwasher. You are instructed to hand wash the aluminum ones.

Andy, does that mean that they are, in fact, interchangeable? I can just buy whichever is my preference?

Thanks!
Ricky

Last edited:
Not really.

I think that these bare metal beaters are meant to be used with the newer wider mouth bowl machines. Check before you buy to make sure.

That's a nylon coating on the regular flat beater & dough hook. And BTW, the wire whip that came with my new K'Aid K5SS, there was a tag attached to it warning against washing it in the dishwasher, saying that the hub will darken
if it is.

Nufsed, I'm stunned to hear that you still didn't get your K'Aid K5A mixer yet. I'd check up on it if I were you. I think you should have gotten it some time ago.

~Corey123.

I agree, it seems like "forEVER" since I won that thing, but its just anticipation; its actually only been a week! I've emailed requesting a tracking number. I just need to be patient. The veggie slicer arrived yesterday and I thought that would help settle my KA jones, but it just heightened it!

BTW: <"Check before you buy to make sure.">
errmm....thats why I'm asking here(!).

Ricky

Nufsed

Well, I just didn't want you to get a beater for the mixer that won't fit.
Just looking out for your best interest.

~Corey123.

check out the kitchenaid site .com but I think the bare metal ones are the pro 5 and 6 models only

I'll second what Corey said about the flat beaters not being interchangeable (probably due to the dimensions of the bowl) from all that I have been able to find. If your mixer is a model K5A (look on the bottom of the base for the model and serial numbers) then the following are the accessories your K5A uses:

K5AB - coated flat beater
K5ADH - coated dough hook
K5AWW - stainless steel wire whip

I wouldn't limit myself to ebay sellers - just go to Google and search on any of the KA part numbers and look for your best deal.

You could also go to the KA website and click on the "Contact Us" button and ask them what parts you can use on your mixer - but be sure to include the model number from the base of the mixer. Their might be a burnished flat beater that would work - if that is what you want.

:) Thanks, guys! I'm a both bit hard-headed and easily confused....its a bad combination!:LOL:
The mixer's listed as a K5A but just to be sure, I guess I'll wait til I actually wrap my stubby-chubbies around it before ordering any parts. I think you're on the money about the wide bowls and the bare beaters. It seems in keeping with most of the pictures and info I've seen online but I hadn't made the connection til now.

Ricky

Thanks, Michael!

Try this one also, Nufsed; http://www.partselect.com.

It's a Whirlpool-affiliated website that sells parts for the K'Aids K45SS Classic and K5SS Stand Mixers, as well as for most major appliances.

And since you are getting the K5A, Nufsed, I think you might strike gold there, because those accessory parts for both the K5A and K5SS are interchangable with each other. Just type K5SS in the box where you must put the model number. your machine's model number might not work, since they stopped making it years ago. Which is why K5SS will get you to the part(s) needed.

I ordered and received a water jacket for my K'Aid K5SS from there, which will work with your machine also. Our machines are both the same size and dimensions Give it a shot! I hope this helps also.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I had to go back and look for these places that I ran across the other day ... but I finally found them. These are the best prices I found.

Try this one for the coated K5AB beater - $10 and free shipping. They also have the K5AWW wire whip for $13.

This site appears to have the best prices on the burnished beater K5ABB - $14.95 plus $4.49 shipping ... and they also have the burnished dough hook K5BDH for $16.95 plus $5.49 shipping.

Thanks for the links! Thats a better deal than I'd found so far, for sure. I finally got a response from the seller today...he had been out of town and assured me that the mixer shipped Monday, so I'll just have to be patient!

I'll wait til it arrives to be absolutely sure about it's identity before ordering parts, but I'm pretty sure these are the right parts. I do know for sure that its a bowl-lift Hobart, tho!
Thanks,
for all the help, guys!
Ricky

You're welcome again! Glad to help!

When you get it, please let us know if it works ok. I'm sure that it will, but I just want you to be happy with it. Thank you.

~Corey123.

Yay-Yuss! Its finally here! Its actually only been a week since he shipped it, but I've been pumped-up about it since the sale closed! The unit seems to be in pretty good shape except for the power cord. The dough hook's coating is sort of 'puffy' at the shaft end due to the metal corroding a bit...I'll plan on replacing it. Tho I've wanted on of these mixers for a while, I've never used one and never even seen one used. I'm very surprised at how quiet this machine is! I am not mixing with it yet, I have torn it down to its base components for painting and to replace the cord. It'll be dark blue when its done! It wont be that cool cobalt blue, but it'll be as close as Krylon's selection will get. It IS a K5-A. While I've got it down, I checked the gears and bushings for wear and all seem quite good. This unit DOES have one nylon gear in the transmission...apparently to be the "sacrificial" gear in the event of an overload. This is not the worm gear (which is actually the armature shaft) but it is the spur gear that mates with the worm gear. Both the mixer shaft and the attachment shaft are powered by this piece so that the protection will be there no matter which output gets overloaded.
I cant wait to get this baby back together!
Ricky

Glad to hear it!!

The website address above that I posted shows an exploded parts and
cut-away of the machinery inside for both the K'Aid K-45SS & K5SS.

I think the transmission parts in both machines are pretty much identical to each other. You can also order the bowl and beaters there as well. What will you make first when your mixer is set up? Good luck!!

~Corey123.

Progress! I finally got 'er finished (ain't she puurrrdy?).
Probably not the first Cobalt K5-A, but she's MY first!
I stripped her down to raw-material-stage for the repaint...I was pleasantly surprised to find very little wear inside.
58598086.jpg

58598085.jpg

My first project is going to be starting from the basics; I have a book called: "Beard on bread" by James Beard and it seems well-written for a neophyte such as Yours Truly. I'm first going to tackle "basic white bread" then Parker House rolls, then the gloves are off! I could be doing croissants, meringues and lord knows what-all after that!

The sky's the limit you say!!

Hey, your K'Aid Stand Mixer looks brand new now!!!! Like the very latest model! What color was it before you repainted it? Sure looks nice though!

Nice idea to make it your avator, also!

~Corey123.

Thanks for the kind words!

It was plain old white:
58614467.jpg

The white was just too boring!
It looks pretty good now, but I'm going to order a new lift handle 'cuz mine has a couple of rust spots that won't go away. I'll also need to get the proper plug for the attachment hub cover, the one with the logo.

Ricky
(nufsed)

Yeah, white can be kind of plain and boring. What is that thing next to the dough hook?:ermm:

That's the color of my K'Aid K5SS now! But the portable washer and dryer pair & stove are also White. My K'Aid K45SS Classic is in Almond Cream with a brown decor band.

The Kenmore microwave and Whirlpool fridge are both black. The fridge has SS doors though. Was going to get the fridge in White at first, but opted for the majestic looking black instead!:)

But before you spend money on a new lift handle, try a little Rust-o-leum on it first. It should work. Otherwise, your K'Aid Stand Mixer looks so good now, as you gave it a new lease on life!!:chef:

I should do that too - make one of my K'Aid Stand Mixers my avator as well!:cool:

!Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom