"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

K5A question

The K5A has not yet arrived (waiting very impatiently) but I know from the listing *4450526128* that it does not include the flat beater. I will get one (ebay, of course) but I'm wondering about materials; I seem to recall some beaters that are either stainless or aluminum, but either way bare metal. The hook that's with this unit is one of the white ones and I'm assuming that its plastic coated(?!)
My question would be: do I have a choice of materials when looking for replacement tools or, do the SS tools only fit other models?
note: I'm only refering to the tools (beaters) not "attachments" (e.g. food grinder).

Ricky
Nufsed

Old 04-05-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

My tools - beater and dough hook - are aluminum. I've seen the white ones. They are coated and can go into the dishwasher. You are instructed to hand wash the aluminum ones.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Andy, does that mean that they are, in fact, interchangeable? I can just buy whichever is my preference?

Thanks!
Ricky
Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Not really.

I think that these bare metal beaters are meant to be used with the newer wider mouth bowl machines. Check before you buy to make sure.

That's a nylon coating on the regular flat beater & dough hook. And BTW, the wire whip that came with my new K'Aid K5SS, there was a tag attached to it warning against washing it in the dishwasher, saying that the hub will darken
if it is.

Nufsed, I'm stunned to hear that you still didn't get your K'Aid K5A mixer yet. I'd check up on it if I were you. I think you should have gotten it some time ago.

~Corey123.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I agree, it seems like "forEVER" since I won that thing, but its just anticipation; its actually only been a week! I've emailed requesting a tracking number. I just need to be patient. The veggie slicer arrived yesterday and I thought that would help settle my KA jones, but it just heightened it!

BTW: <"Check before you buy to make sure.">
errmm....thats why I'm asking here(!).

Ricky

Nufsed
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Well, I just didn't want you to get a beater for the mixer that won't fit.
Just looking out for your best interest.

~Corey123.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Executive Chef

check out the kitchenaid site .com but I think the bare metal ones are the pro 5 and 6 models only
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I was trying to tell him that also.

~Corey123.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Master Chef

I'll second what Corey said about the flat beaters not being interchangeable (probably due to the dimensions of the bowl) from all that I have been able to find. If your mixer is a model K5A (look on the bottom of the base for the model and serial numbers) then the following are the accessories your K5A uses:

K5AB - coated flat beater
K5ADH - coated dough hook
K5AWW - stainless steel wire whip

I wouldn't limit myself to ebay sellers - just go to Google and search on any of the KA part numbers and look for your best deal.

You could also go to the KA website and click on the "Contact Us" button and ask them what parts you can use on your mixer - but be sure to include the model number from the base of the mixer. Their might be a burnished flat beater that would work - if that is what you want.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Thanks, guys! I'm a both bit hard-headed and easily confused....its a bad combination!
The mixer's listed as a K5A but just to be sure, I guess I'll wait til I actually wrap my stubby-chubbies around it before ordering any parts. I think you're on the money about the wide bowls and the bare beaters. It seems in keeping with most of the pictures and info I've seen online but I hadn't made the connection til now.

Ricky