"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior Cook

New Gas stove not working right question

I have a GE profile SS Gas stove. I tried to clean the cook top one day after some cream o wheat boiled over, and when I finished that burner wouldn't light. I lifted the drip pan and cleaned underneath it and then cleaned the drip pan and then 3 of the burners wouldn't light.
They work if you stick a match to them but not otherwise.

This weekend a friend and I looked at it again, he cleaned the little vent hole in the aluminum part that sits below the flame deflector and then the burner that initial wouldn't work... now works. One of the other 2 that wen out seems to be working.

The burner that worked when the rest would not... It will light and maybe 2-3 minutes later a flame shots across the top of the stove and it goes out.

a) is there something I can soak the aluminum part in to get it absolutely clean?
b) what do I do about the flame shooting across the stove problem?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Head Chef

you need to have a service tech look at it ..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Well, if you have double cleaned and double checked everything and it all appears as it should and assembled correctly, maybe checking GE's web page is in order. Sometimes thier frequently asked and FAQ pages have helpful information as there is always the possibility that another customer has had the same problem as you.
Barring that, I would directly contact thier customer service department for help.
Barring that, I would go with what Love2"Q" said.
I too have a GE stove, and while it is a completely different model, I have noticed that the electric sparks and burners are very very very touchy. If I dont get them just right it wont light and I have to use a lighter. And if the burners are not just right it doesnt 'flame' right or even flame at all.