"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Recommendations for a meat slicer needed ...

Hello All;
I am looking to buy a good quality meat slicer primarily to thin-slice beef Roast and turkey breast like the restaurants do. It would be for home use.

I am most interested in getting something that is durable, that works well, and (very important) is easy to clean and I wouild like to try not to exceed $700 if possible.

Anyone have any recommendations for a meat slicer that you have that you are happy with and that meets the above criteria ?

Thanks. Tim

Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I gave mine to my son because with only two of us at home, I wasn't using it much at all.

It was made out of plastic, the blade cut everything from the thinest meat to a 'steak' size. To clean it, all I had to do was take it apart and put it in the top of the dishwasher. Now from this site, I've learned NOT to put cutting blades through the dishwasher, though.

I know it cost less than $150 and will call my son for the brand. I have no idea how it would work with frequent or full time use.

Edited: I think this is the one I had or very close to it. Sounds like you plan on using it much more than I did so I can't tell you how it would hold up.

Buy a Rival 1050-C Electric Food Slicer at BizRate - Find Appliances online

Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I gave mine to my son because with only two of us at home, I wasn't using it much at all.

It was made out of plastic, the blade cut everything from the thinest meat to a 'steak' size. To clean it, all I had to do was take it apart and put it in the top of the dishwasher. Now from this site, I've learned NOT to put cutting blades through the dishwasher, though.

I know it cost less than $150 and will call my son for the brand. I have no idea how it would work with frequent or full time use.

Edited: I think this is the one I had or very close to it. Sounds like you plan on using it much more than I did so I can't tell you how it would hold up.

Buy a Rival 1050-C Electric Food Slicer at BizRate - Find Appliances online

My Kenmore slicer looks almost similar to that one. It's an elcheapo unit that only costed me about $40.00 though. But it works great!

There's also a wid variety of commercial slicers at Kitchenware online at Cooking.com: Shop for small appliances, cookware, cutlery, bakeware, tableware, and more plus find recipes. as well. WT might find what he's looking for there. Akso CHEFS.

I think Cooking.com had the much wider selection though.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Do a search on this site for slicer. There are several threads that discuss options and features for home slicers.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Okay, I clicked on that thread, and someone is going to have to explain how the Aubuchon Hardware price of $119.99 is the smart choice over the Wal-Mart price of $69.63.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Okay, I clicked on that thread, and someone is going to have to explain how the Aubuchon Hardware price of $119.99 is the smart choice over the Wal-Mart price of $69.63.
LOL! I don't shop at wally-world, but that decision looks easy enough to me!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hello ya all;
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I really want to get a much higher quality slicer than the ones you're talking about here. I've been looking at the high-end Chef's Choice brand but some of the reviews aren't too good even with the higher end units costing more than $400. I wonder if you can recommend an entry-level Berkel, Hobart, or Globe Slicer designed for light duty (1-2 hours per day) ? Thanks.

Tim
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
Executive Chef

You can try their websites to see what they have to offer.

But they are problably very expensive - even the low-end ones.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Senior Cook

This is the one that I have. Works great! slices meat so thin you can see thru it.

http://www.katom.com/071-4510.html
Old 03-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Geez, I paid $69.95 for my slicer about 5 years ago and, now that everyone's gone but me and the cat, I hardly ever use it any more. The drudgery of dragging it out of the cupboard, setting it up, slicing up a few pounds of lunch meat, then taking it apart, cleaning it, washing and drying the parts that can be washed, reassembling it, and stuffing it back into the cupboard isn't worth the few cents a pound savings over the presliced lunch meats I buy in two pound packs at the food wharehouse/restaurant supply. I am sure glad I am not sittng here right now trying to justify (to myself) spending 600 bucks for a slicer, although it is very pretty, and if I still had a house full of people taking lunch to work every day, I'd consider it.