"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #11
Senior Cook

You said you had just the push the button down and go kind. Those aren't the most efficient for other things my mother had that style and my dad gave it to me. I ended up tossing it because I never eat rice. There are good ones that they call rice cookers that are actually steamers with timers on them. The problem is you sometimes have to add more liquid to the machine or the coil burns up. I have one of those that's good but I don't use it as much because it's easier to use a pot and my steamer insert. If I want to layer it for two differnt things, then it does come in handy. Black and Decker makes it.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:13 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
How would you make congee in the rice cooker? The reason I'm asking is because it's a popup when the rice is done. Would it still do that with the congee?

Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #13
Senior Cook

as long as you keep the rice:liquid ratio in mind, you don't need to stick to plain white rice at all. for example:

a passable paella ( unless you're an ultra purist): along with the rice, add any combination of prawns, chicken, chorizo, rabbit, shellfish with some onion and bell peppers. a little saffron goes well, too.

soups or not too thick stews: throw whatever vegies and meats into some stock, along with seasonings. beans or rice can go in at the beginning, pasta can be added about 1/2 hour down the line. because of all the extra liquid, don't expect the timer to go off. check it every 15 or 20 minutes and turn off when you figure it's done.

with just rice, you can use any kind of stock. for seasonings, try:saffron with some olive oil, curry powder, tandoori paste, dijon mustard, any kind of seasoning mix (e.g. taco seasoning, pasta seasoning)

Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

If you are doing congee in the rice cooker with a lot of water, it will continue to cook for you until the rice softens, just like cooking it over the stove. That means that you will have to check for doneness and not rely on the cooker switching it to 'warm' mode automatically. If the consistency is too thick, you can always switch to 'cook' mode by adding some water.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I was perusing Rachel Ray's new site (http://www.rachaelraymag.com) and I thought of this thread and thought you might be interested in checking this out: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/27755/ .

I haven't tried it out, but it sounds yum-o. :-) LoL
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I've made a couple of the Zatarian's rice dishes in mine.

The Zatarian's things aren't really that tasty are they?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You can use your rice cooker to cook legumes and grains, such as barley, lentils, split peas, etc. I've done oatmeal in ours. One of my favorite uses is to cook potatoes for potato salad. I use the steamer insert for that. If yours has a steamer insert, you can use it to steam all sorts of vegetables from whole artichokes, to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, corn-on-the-cob, etc.

My rice cooker has a "heat 'n' hold" feature, which keeps things warm after they're done cooking.