What can you put into a rice cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
I own a regular "it clicks when it's done" and I was wondering what else can be prepared in one besides rice. I know I shouldent put anything too acidic in because of the finish but what else could be prepared or rehidrated in one?

Main reason I ask is that I want to get one for a friend for a housewarming gift but he's wondering what else he could do with it since unlike me he dosent eat rice 6 times a week.

Personally, I really can't think of anything else you could do with a rice cooker because of how it works:

In it's simpelest form ... the temperature inside the cooker can not exceed the boiling point of water at 1 atmosphere as long as there is water in the pot. Once the water is absorbed by the rice the temperature goes up, a thermostat detects this, and the cooker sounds the "it's done" alarm and either shuts off or shifts to the keep-warm mode. To maintain the pressure at 1 atmosphere, most cookers have a pressure relief valve that will vent excess pressure during cooking - thus helping to maintain a constant cooking temperature. Pretty simple, but also rather clever!

It "maybe" could be used as an expensive small capacity make-shift slow cooker - but it wouldn't be very efficient for that use since the pressure relief valve would be like lifting the lid on a slow-cooker ... releasing steam and prolonging the cooking time even more.

I, too, am curious to see if anyone has actually found something else they can use a rice cooker for that actually works.

All the ones I have seem could double as a steamer, but I always though there were easier ways to steam things.

Some people use it to make congee, or rice soup...other than that, not sure...

:LOL: I purchased a rice cooker while in Korea..it was sent to our Base Exchange from Japan and wouldn't ya know it! The directions are in Japanese..

Dove

Can warm up pieces of chicken. Congee, as someone else said, can add pulled meat and veggies (leftovers) in it. I've cooked salmon once on top of the rice. It didn't come out that bad. :)

Mylegsbig said:
can you put broth in as the cooking liquid?

can you put herbs in there?

Sure! What would make you think otherwise? The recipe is pretty basic - a quantity of rice and a quantity of liquid (usually 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid - as a general ratio) herbs are not going to absorb or release any significant amount of liquid - heated for a period of time (type and age of rice will dictate the variables).

Making perfect rice isn't rocket science - they have been doing this in Asia for how many centuries? While rice cookers are nice - they are not essential.

Now - to ammend my comments from about 18-months ago ... yes, a rice cooker can be used for other things .... it can be used like a CorckPot slow cooker ... sometimes ... depends on how the thermostat works.

Last edited:
Word of caution:

There are several types of inserts for rice cookers. Some brands have metal inserts while others have opted for plastic. The metal inserts are far more forgiving about what you put in there as far as liquid and flavoring agents. The plastic inserts often stain.

Ciao,

I have a rice cooker (a gift - not something I'd have thought of buying, but it frees up space on the hob) and occasionally add turmeric to the rice while it's cooking and then at the end, when it's done, I stir in a small amount of lemon juice.
Anyone tried poaching fish in a rice cooker? It's only just occurred to me as an idea - I've never done it.

Edited: Cindy, I've just seen your reply. Has anyone done fish without bothering with rice?

You said you had just the push the button down and go kind. Those aren't the most efficient for other things my mother had that style and my dad gave it to me. I ended up tossing it because I never eat rice. There are good ones that they call rice cookers that are actually steamers with timers on them. The problem is you sometimes have to add more liquid to the machine or the coil burns up. I have one of those that's good but I don't use it as much because it's easier to use a pot and my steamer insert. If I want to layer it for two differnt things, then it does come in handy. Black and Decker makes it.

How would you make congee in the rice cooker? The reason I'm asking is because it's a popup when the rice is done. Would it still do that with the congee?

as long as you keep the rice:liquid ratio in mind, you don't need to stick to plain white rice at all. for example:

a passable paella ( unless you're an ultra purist): along with the rice, add any combination of prawns, chicken, chorizo, rabbit, shellfish with some onion and bell peppers. a little saffron goes well, too.

soups or not too thick stews: throw whatever vegies and meats into some stock, along with seasonings. beans or rice can go in at the beginning, pasta can be added about 1/2 hour down the line. because of all the extra liquid, don't expect the timer to go off. check it every 15 or 20 minutes and turn off when you figure it's done.

with just rice, you can use any kind of stock. for seasonings, try:saffron with some olive oil, curry powder, tandoori paste, dijon mustard, any kind of seasoning mix (e.g. taco seasoning, pasta seasoning)

icon12.gif

If you are doing congee in the rice cooker with a lot of water, it will continue to cook for you until the rice softens, just like cooking it over the stove. That means that you will have to check for doneness and not rely on the cooker switching it to 'warm' mode automatically. If the consistency is too thick, you can always switch to 'cook' mode by adding some water.

I've made a couple of the Zatarian's rice dishes in mine.

The Zatarian's things aren't really that tasty are they?

You can use your rice cooker to cook legumes and grains, such as barley, lentils, split peas, etc. I've done oatmeal in ours. One of my favorite uses is to cook potatoes for potato salad. I use the steamer insert for that. If yours has a steamer insert, you can use it to steam all sorts of vegetables from whole artichokes, to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, corn-on-the-cob, etc.

My rice cooker has a "heat 'n' hold" feature, which keeps things warm after they're done cooking.

Back
Top Bottom