"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I have a few different mixers myself, and have given away or loaned out quite a few also!

I have :
Hobart N-50
Hobart Kitchenaid chrome Model G
Hobart Kitchenaid K-5A
Kitchenaid Commercial 5qt
Hobart Kitchenaid K-4B
Hobart Kitchenaid K-3C
A missing in action Hobart Kitchenaid K-4C

I gave away to my cousins, my mother's Oster Kitchen Center, and my grandfather's Oster Kitchen Center.

I still have mom's 1940's Sunbeam.

I once had the Oster kitchen Center. But the problem was that it was housed in an all-plastic housing. It began to crack in some places.

Then I bought the Kenwood Chef, which had a metel base, but also had a plastic upper housing for the mixer arm & motor. That, also, began to crack!

That's when I went to the Hobart-made KitchenAid K45SS, and the mixer body was scratched, but it NEVER cracked or broke at all. Plastic-housing mixers do not last very long at all. For all of you who love to cook & bake, an all-metal-case mixer is the way to go.

~Corey123.

Old 12-28-2005, 01:59 PM   #92
Assistant Cook

KitchenAid Pro 600 Gear Quality

Corey123,

I have it on very good authority (I should know, I work at KitchenAid) that in early 2006, the Pro 600 mixer will be made with an improved metal transmission cover. For 98 percent of our customers, this will have no effect whatsoever. But, for those few that are really heavy duty users, this will improve the durability of the mixer both in bread kneading and heavy attachment use. By END of 2006, ALL bowl lift models will exhibit this metal transmission cover. Let me also say that this is a fairly small cost increase, but is an improvement we made once a newer "metal injection molding" technology became more feasible for us.

Old 12-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #93
Executive Chef

Well, that's greast news to hear!

This should certainly eventually help to restore the trust, quality and integrity back into the Pro 600 mixer line. It would truly be worth the small cost increase to see this milestone change and thanks so much for the heads-up!

I imagine that they were flooded with e-mails & calls from dissatisfied customers who mixers broke down. I hope that it pans out well.

~Corey123.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:44 PM   #94
Assistant Cook

Corey123,

Actually, we HAVEN'T been flooded with calls from customers who have broken their tranmissions. There just aren't that many people out there who exceed the design limits of out current design. For those few that do, this improvement will help them quite a bit, up to twice the transmission life of even our classic mixer.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #95
Executive Chef

I use a Kenwood mixer. It's the second one I've owned in over 30 years - the original was a wedding present and only gave up the ghost about a year ago - and I used it probably 6 or 7 times a week (at least!)
Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #96
Executive Chef

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman47
Corey123,

Actually, we HAVEN'T been flooded with calls from customers who have broken their tranmissions. There just aren't that many people out there who exceed the design limits of out current design. For those few that do, this improvement will help them quite a bit, up to twice the transmission life of even our classic mixer.

Yeah, since the word "professional" appears right on the machine's motorhead, you'd think that this means that the mixer was designed for use slightly beyond the demands of normal household use to the point where a professional chef could use it comfortably enough to say that it meets or exceeds his / her demands for a truly rugged powerful machine.

But there is always room for improvement, and I'm so glad that your company has decided to take the intiative to make this machine better than before.

Think of it as The Six Million Dollar Man ( "Gentlemen; We can rebuild it. We can make it better than it was before. Better, stronger & faster!").

I may buy this machine after all, but I'll wait until either next winter or spring to make sure that the newer improved bowl-lift models are well into curculation before I do. Do you think they'll have on the boxes the words "New & Improved", "Redesigned", or something like that as an indication that the new stronger metal gearcase covers are in use?

Ishbel, like yourself, I, also, had a Kenwood machine, but in addition to the motorhead cracking, the motor kept on overheating and shutting off, forcing me to wait at least 30 to 45 minutes to finish a mixing job, and I wasn't even making anything that put an undue strain on the machine. I got tired of this being a constant interruption. It was becoming a thorn in my side, p***ing me off to no end!

This kept on happening until finally, I decided that I had enough and decided to buy the KitchenAid Mixer.

~Corey123.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:25 PM   #97
Assistant Cook

Ishbel, that's great you have gotten such good use out of your Kenwood. They make a fine machine. There are hundreds of thousands of KitchenAid owners who ALSO use theirs every day, for decades, with no problems. But this is what makes it so difficult to determine the performance "requirements". Use every day, fine. What recipes? How many times in one day? How much rest in between recipes (for cool down)? What size recipe? What type of flour? What order of ingredients (some mix more dry in before wet)? I guess you get the picture. It is a challenge for us, but we are continually listening and learning.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:33 PM   #98
Master Chef

I have a big Kitchenaid Pro which I love!! The only slight problem is that it is just a tiny bit off-leval so that it rocks a bit when it is really cranking.

I haven't had any motor/transmission problems. Yet at least. I have fried a food processor that way.

The Pro is too big for really small jobs, so I have a cheapo hand mixer for those.

I have the pasta attachment, too

Kitchenaid makes great products.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:54 PM   #99
Everymom

I currently own a Sunbeam/Oster food processor/mixer that I have LOVED for years. It is about to die though. It has odd spurts of speed and then will slow down to almost nothing. Fortunately for me though, my MIL has given me money to put toward a new machine. I am going to purchase a KA and hopefully get it cheap enough to get all the attachments I want as well. I don't need anything professional sized, but I am wondering about the difference between the 300 and 400 watt guys. Is there a significant difference?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #100
Master Chef

i have a pink kitchenaid, tee-hee, & i dreamt about a pink miixer last night- more fuscia, i'd say.