What Kind of Stand Mixer is in Your Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?

• Total voters

choclatechef

Washing Up
I am just being nosy, since I am a mixer freak! :D

Why do you like your model? If you don't like it, which one will you choose to buy later?

My KA came free from a friend -- mixer still in unopened box -- who got it as a wedding gift years ago and never used it because she "doesn't bake". Talk about getting away with something.....

After undoubtedly tiring of my complaining about my ancient Sunbeam Mixmaster and whining about my sister's KA, dear husband bought me a KA Pro 6. What I love about it is its huge capacity (6 quarts) and 525w. motor, moreover the improvements that have been made in the paddle and hook attachments and a much improved shield over my sister's artisan. And thanks to a few pals here who explained that I needn't fear burning up my motor making bread all the time, I have since nixed the bread machine and have it waiting in the garage for the next garage sale.

Nothing can possibly replace this jewel...and nothing will likely ever need to.

Choclatechef, as the resident Hobart expert, do I recall correctly from another thread that Hobart was the original manufacturer of KAs? Who makes them now? And what's your opinion of KAs as the result?

Audeo said:
Choclatechef, as the resident Hobart expert, do I recall correctly from another thread that Hobart was the original manufacturer of KAs? Who makes them now? And what's your opinion of KAs as the result?

Whirlpool makes Kitchenaid now. I think that the quality of the mixers has decreased significantly as a result of Whirlpool's ownership. Whirlpool has been trading on the reliability of the Kitchenaid name that Hobart established imho, and has made profit their emphasis rather than quality.

The accessories are made of inferior materials, and I think the mixers are also in order to increase their profit margin.

mudbug said:
My KA came free from a friend -- mixer still in unopened box -- who got it as a wedding gift years ago and never used it because she "doesn't bake". Talk about getting away with something.....

You don't use your mixer mudbug?

What does everyone think of the Viking mixers? I am sort of shopping for a mixer and I am the type of guy who would rather buy something really high quality once, than something of lesser quality multiple times. The Viking ones look pretty nice from the specs.

swinchen said:
What does everyone think of the Viking mixers? I am sort of shopping for a mixer and I am the type of guy who would rather buy something really high quality once, than something of lesser quality multiple times. The Viking ones look pretty nice from the specs.

One of the other forums I visit said that they have not been around long enough to evaluate as far as for reliability.

choclatechef said:
swinchen said:

One of the other forums I visit said that they have not been around long enough to evaluate as far as for reliability.

Interesting. So what is considered to be the best mixers out there right now?

Hobart has the best mixers according to the forums I visit [with only a few nay sayers].

What size are you interested in? The N-50 model I have is 5 quarts, and there are 12 qt, and 20 qt models.

I have a ka Pro 6 qt that i got for around $200 refurbished. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had a problem with it. If I were going to get another mixer, And I am pondering it , cause I want a set of KA in a color, probably yellow, I would get the largest most powerful tilt head that KA made at the time. The issue i have with my bowl lift model is scraping cake batter down from the sides of the bowl. I think it might be easier with a tilt head.
Mind you , I wouldnt trade my pro 6 because i like the power and the capacity. But if they made a big tilt head and if it held up as well as this 6qt does it might move me to get it. But I dont think those 2 if's will ever come to pass.

vilasman1 said:
I have a ka Pro 6 qt that i got for around $200 refurbished. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had a problem with it. If I were going to get another mixer, And I am pondering it , cause I want a set of KA in a color, probably yellow, I would get the largest most powerful tilt head that KA made at the time. The issue i have with my bowl lift model is scraping cake batter down from the sides of the bowl. I think it might be easier with a tilt head.
Mind you , I wouldnt trade my pro 6 because i like the power and the capacity. But if they made a big tilt head and if it held up as well as this 6qt does it might move me to get it. But I dont think those 2 if's will ever come to pass.

That is why I really like the looks of the viking mixers. Very powerful and they have a tilt head.

choclatechef said:
mudbug said:

You don't use your mixer mudbug?

No, I absolutely use it! The donor never used it.

I have a KitchnAid Artisan. I've had it less than a year and don't use it heavily, so I can't attest to its reliability, but I do like it so far.

Well, choclatechef knows me so my comments will be no suprise.

While I would love to have a Hobart N-50 ... the price it just a little too far out there for me to afford ... although I did get close to getting a good one on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

I have a Whirlpool made KA 6-qt Pro (bowl lift - same as Hobart) that I have had for about 3 years, use a lot and I love it.

If you watch the cooking competitions on FoodTV - the serious ones like the world pastry, chocolate, and master chef - you'll see that all but 1 or 2 use KitchenAid instead of Hobart. Since these folks are putting their personal, and their country's, reputations on the line in these contests ... I can't imagine why they would trust KA if it was inferrior - even if it is now made by Whrilpool instead of Hobart.

I am not saying Whirlpool Kitchenaid are not good. I am saying they aren't as good as the Hobart Kitchenaids were.

The Hobart N-50's outlast and outperform the Kitchenaids during hard usage. Though in a home kitchen, that is probably not as essential as in a professional kitchen. Some restaurants will buy Kitchenaids, knowing they will burn out in a year or so and need replacing because they do not want the up-front expense of a Hobart.

Kitchenaids are used for a lot of the cooking shows and competitions because they are subsidizing the shows and competitions for advertising purposes --- just like so many other companies [Boos butcher blocks, Wusthof Trident, Le Creuset, All Clad, etc.].

You buy a Hobart when you want a mixer that will be given hard use often, and plan to keep it for a long long time. Then the big upfront expense can be amortized over the years.

Here are some comments made in eGullet, Chef2Chef, and on ChefTalk site on the subject:

"I had heard our local Tim Healea say the same thing andiesenji said that they chew up the new KAs in the bakery but had an old workhorse with the Hobart inerds that lasted forever and his advice was the same to go on e-bay and buy an old one."

"If you can find one of the earlier KAs made by Hobart and refurbished, you will have a much better machine. I had one for 30 years that was a real workhorse. I bought one of the newer ones but promptly burnt out the motor mixing thick dough."

"As for new models vs. old, I'm generally of andiesenji's way of thinking. In the case of the KA mixer she, of course, has the anecdotal/empirical evidence to prove it. I can only say in general that those older and more solidly-built appliances seem to win the contest hands-down every time."

"Btw, are you sure you want a KA pro 6? I've been hearing very mixed review about the new mixers. The old ones are work horses - new ones, not so hot."

"I love both, but for home use, KA is great - esp. the Heavy Duty line. I have had one for years, and never had a problem. Hobart is well, Hobart. They are the #1 name when it comes to mixers. And for a reason."

"oh, and as far as kitchen aid goes: In my opinion the type of gearing is as important as wattage - stay away from the beltdriven models. The geared KA's are far better and longer lasting. Hobart - while more expensive - makes a much better mixer. "

" My KA Pro Mixer broke two weeks after I sold it and two weeks before the one year unconditional warranty expired. Williams Sonoma replaced it with a brand new one. When the owner turned it on, nothing happened. He returned it and WS replaced it again. No problem.

I replaced my KA Pro mixer with a Kenwood which has been running fine for the past two years without any problems. Makes me wonder why there's some many refurbished KA's on the market.

If my Kenwood mixer ever dies, then I'll opt for the Hobart 5 quart mixer. They can be found at ebay for around $4-600 slightly used."

Back
Top Bottom