"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #31
Master Chef

I prefer gas cooktops simply because I love fire.

I'm still waiting for the OP to chime back in...

Old 06-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I would like a juicer that is easy to clean (read that, doesn't require being put in the dishwasher). I see a lot of juicers at the Goodwill and lots of friends have told me that they hated how hard they were to clean, so got rid of their juicers. Sure, one can get a Vita Mix, but that's a pretty pricey juicer for the average joe.

I'm pretty happy with my Breville Juicer. It works well and it is not that hard to clean at all.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I detest electric stoves but that doesn't matter to anyone but me.

For those of you who like them, I have one question.

Have you ever seen a professional cooking demonstration with an electric stove?
Julia Child did quite well with one on her show. So did Fanny Cradock

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I detest electric stoves but that doesn't matter to anyone but me.

For those of you who like them, I have one question.

Have you ever seen a professional cooking demonstration with an electric stove?
Yeah. In her early days, Julia started out with a coppertone electric stove on PBS. Also in a lot of cities, the fire department (Boston being such) will not allow an open flame. So the demonstrator must use electric. Julia and Jacques used to hold demonstrations for the students at Boston University Culinary School when he was teaching there. They always had to use electric elements. Also here in Boston, they hold cooking classes for folks who are on SNAP (Food Stamps). Again, electric elements are in use. By both the demonstrator and students.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #35
Master Chef

Early days of TV would only provide electric stoves, but this was Julia's beloved home gas range ......

NMAH | What's Cooking

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Early days of TV would only provide electric stoves, but this was Julia's beloved home gas range ......

NMAH | What's Cooking
But you asked for an example of a cooking demonstration

I've seen her kitchen in the Smithsonian I could have stood there forever looking at every detail!

Old 06-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
But you asked for an example of a cooking demonstration

I've seen her kitchen in the Smithsonian I could have stood there forever looking at every detail!
Indeed I did BC. I thought about wording it differently to the statement, "real chefs use gas" but thought I'd cause a riot, so I opted for a tamer version.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've been reading this thread since the very beginning and, in the 57 years I've been cooking, I really can't come up with a single appliance I would term the "worst."

Many of my appliances (small ones) are the ones I began housekeeping with in 1967 and are still working like new. Others I've acquired along the way and they, too, seem to be performing just like the day I got them.

As for large appliances such as stoves, washers, etc., apparently I've had very good luck with all I've ever owned. I was fortunate about 20 years ago to buy a top of the line Jenn-Air dishwasher for $15 at Salvation Army. It had never been used and worked like a champ and I only wish I could've taken it with me when I moved.

Most of our other large appliances have either been Frigidaire or Whirlpool and all performed and/or are performing like champs. Our stack washer/dryer is over 20 years old and looks and works like the day it was bought.

A few of my "test" appliances or those I have reservations about are usually acquired at thrift stores or such outlets and are bought for only a few dollars. So, if it turns out they're not what they'd been touted as being or my interest level fizzled out I haven't wasted much $ or, in some cases, much of my time. The occasional one will return to its former place of residence or at one of my yard sales. However, that has happened so rarely that I can't recall a single incident of orphaning an appliance.

The only consistent thing I can think of with my luck with appliances is that I've always been a stickler for taking care of them. Keeping them clean and using them properly. Maybe that's why I still have and regularly use my 47-year-old Osterizer blender. Kinda like the Energizer bunny...
Old 06-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Indeed I did BC. I thought about wording it differently to the statement, "real chefs use gas" but thought I'd cause a riot, so I opted for a tamer version.
I think that you've hit on something. People tend to grab on to trends and whatever "experts" are using tend to be considered the best without question. Look at Kitchenaid mixers for instance, 20 years ago when I got mine, I knew almost nobody that had one. Then with the popularity of Food Network, where cooking shows and cooks became mainstream, they are pretty much a "must have" kitchen accessory whether they are used or not. Same goes for professional "style" ranges. People feel more "chefy" emulating chefs and their equipment.

Any chef worth their salt can cook well with any heat source. It just drives me a bit batty when someone feels the need to exclaim how much better their choice is and how inferior other's are. People need to use what's best for them and not put down other's choices.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Any chef worth their salt can cook well with any heat source.
Hey I can cook over an open fire outside in the wind. Or on a handmade camp stove. I don't need no stinking indoor stove!

Tags
appliances