Worst Appliances!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any chef worth their salt can cook well with any heat source.:chef: It just drives me a bit batty when someone feels the need to exclaim how much better their choice is and how inferior other's are. People need to use what's best for them and not put down other's choices.

You're exactly right BC and was the precise reason I reworded my initial thought. We all have our opinions, and I've worked hard on at least trying to not to be offensive about mine.

bakechef;1369068 Any chef worth their salt can cook well with any heat source[/QUOTE said:
I cooked over campfires (NOT camp stoves) for many a time. Sometimes the entire summer long when we would camp in WY and MN from June to Sept.

I also learned to make a great dinner in my cast iron dutch oven with the lipped top.

Where we camped in WY there was a Basque sheepherder who would drop by a few times for coffee. He taught me how to bake bread in that CI dutch oven.

It's illegal now I'm sure (we were on BLM land and not in a campsite) but I dug a hole, made a fire in it, put the dough in the dutch oven when the wood had become great embers. More embers on the top then fill the hole back up with the dirt.

Go fishing all day, come back to freshly baked sourdough or a pot roast, potatoes, carrots that were perfectly done.

(I also had to sleep with the sourdough starter in a glass jar at the foot of my sleeping bag because the nights were really cold sometimes. ;))

I would like a juicer that is easy to clean (read that, doesn't require being put in the dishwasher). I see a lot of juicers at the Goodwill and lots of friends have told me that they hated how hard they were to clean, so got rid of their juicers. Sure, one can get a Vita Mix, but that's a pretty pricey juicer for the average joe.
I like the fact that my current juicers parts will go in the dishwasher My old ond didn't and it was a fiddly beast to clean.

I cooked over campfires (NOT camp stoves) for many a time. Sometimes the entire summer long when we would camp in WY and MN from June to Sept.

I also learned to make a great dinner in my cast iron dutch oven with the lipped top.

Where we camped in WY there was a Basque sheepherder who would drop by a few times for coffee. He taught me how to bake bread in that CI dutch oven.

It's illegal now I'm sure (we were on BLM land and not in a campsite) but I dug a hole, made a fire in it, put the dough in the dutch oven when the wood had become great embers. More embers on the top then fill the hole back up with the dirt.

Go fishing all day, come back to freshly baked sourdough or a pot roast, potatoes, carrots that were perfectly done.

(I also had to sleep with the sourdough starter in a glass jar at the foot of my sleeping bag because the nights were really cold sometimes. ;))

That's awesome!

My camping experiences involved a 30ft. self contained camper... I've never even slept in a tent! We did cook hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire. My grandfather at his camper cooked bacon and eggs every morning outside on a cookstove that he made himself.

You're exactly right BC and was the precise reason I reworded my initial thought. We all have our opinions, and I've worked hard on at least trying to not to be offensive about mine.

You did a great job! I'll often retype things to make them sound less snippy, because it's often easy to convey the wrong tone in written statements!

Wow thank you all so much for these inspirational responses! Certainly ignited a lot of creative juice in my head hehe

Notice to my Showtime Rotisserie Grill:

You cook a chicken or pork roast to perfection with little fuss, but.........................

That's about the only thing you do well.
You take up space on my counter which could be better put to several daily uses.
You are a nightmare to clean up - that's no exaggeration. :w00t:
And, most disturbing, every time I clean the counter around you, I find another piece of your plastic frame broken off - 5 pieces and counting. I fear that one day you will simply go to pieces in the middle of cooking a roast, and then I will have a mess.

So I'm calling it quits and sending you to the scrap yard. :hammer:

To the above poster on the George Foreman Grill: I had one of those too, and although I didn't use it much, it did work okay. It now lives at a local restaurant here on the island (Long Island, Bahamas) and is used to make their panini style grilled Cuban sandwich. They have been using it for nearly 2 years with great success.

Last edited:
Clark Howard taught me a valuable lesson on purchasing appliances.

Never buy the newest, unproven, must have, highly expensive model.
Buy something the the company has made thousands and thousands of.
The reasoning is price for one and if they made that many particular appliances, the kinks have all been worked out long before you became their test subject.
Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first. ?

Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Clark Howard taught me a valuable lesson on purchasing appliances.

Never buy the newest, unproven, must have, highly expensive model.
Buy something the the company has made thousands and thousands of.
The reasoning is price for one and if they made that many particular appliances, the kinks have all been worked out long before you became their test subject.

Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first. ��

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree completely. My current washing machine is an older style with knobs, it swishes the clothes around in soap, rinses and spins. As long as they're still available, my next one will be too. I see absolutely no need for one with an onboard computer that can and will eventually fail. I don't need a front loader where I keep needing to clean the seal of mildew, and god forbid you close the door and grow a mold farm in there.

This is from someone who loves technology, but doesn't need it everywhere. Internet connected refrigerators, um, no...

I too appreciate technology. I however prefer to buy appliances that are proven winners. Consumer Reports is a very good tool when you are going to make this type of investment.
You can get a month internet subscription for $5.99. I did this when my wife was looking at new cars.
It was worth the $5.99.

Its not like it was before where you had to buy a whole year subscription. When you need an appliance, go to their web site and get an account.
Once your shopping and purchase has been made or you have all the info you need, you can cancel the internet subscription.
You can always open it back up again next time you need to check on something.
This is only one of several ways to make certain your purchase is a good, reliable choice.

Last edited:
Good advice! That's so true with many things, and not just appliances. How about smart phones and software and downloads? The same rule should apply... do your best to make sure the bugs are all worked out first.

Yes, that does apply to many things, not just appliances. :ohmy:

Dear Front-Loading Washing Machine,

You miserable cur! You leak, you don't drain properly, your spin cycle is a joke and you simply LIED to me about all your wonderful features. I haven't had this much trouble from certain relatives!

Apparently your stupid warranty is worthless, too. I've had a bunch of people out here to fix your sorry butt, and of course, you refuse to live up to your promises STILL.

I'm done with you. Tomorrow I'm getting a top-loader again, and I'm sending your rotten carcass to my sister. She's always wanted one like you.

And by the way, I don't like her, either. Have a nice life.

How's that? That happened last summer, lol!

You miserable cur! You leak, you don't drain properly, your spin cycle is a joke and you simply LIED to me about all your wonderful features. I haven't had this much trouble from certain relatives!

Apparently your stupid warranty is worthless, too. I've had a bunch of people out here to fix your sorry butt, and of course, you refuse to live up to your promises STILL.

I'm done with you. Tomorrow I'm getting a top-loader again, and I'm sending your rotten carcass to my sister. She's always wanted one like you.

hahahaa! this is too awesome!

Just curious, what brand? We love our LG high efficiency front loader.

Yep. Those $2000 washers are all the rage. Just making my point one more time.

Whats the brand and the model number so other people do not fall for this scam you fell for.

My mom has one of those top load "super efficient" Whirlpool washers, ones without a center spindle. My boss has one too. They both have trouble with "off" smelling clothes, I noticed it too. It's like the clothes were left to get sour in the washer, even though they were taken out immediately, but not quite as strong.

They use less water but these new energy efficient washers take twice as long to wash a load of laundry. The sensors take too long to 'read' the size and balance of the load at every cycle. Late night, I'd like to do the wash and put the load into the dryer and go to bed. Now, I have to wait an hour for the dumb washer to do its thing.

Back
Top Bottom